BDS Attendance

65Jacket

GT Athlete
The average football fan on the street does not give a rip about the values we hold dear. They fall hard for all the media blitz of Ugag. Heck, all of the Atlanta teams have Ugag colors, none have gold and white. It is an uphill battle to find potential GT fans in our own back yard.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree. Tech's numbers - compared to benchmarks and it's historical trend - suggest that it is actually doing better, probably 20% better - in attendance than it should. Also, the collegiate licensing programs (the last time I checked) suggest that Tech buys far more merchandising per person than other schools. (Total volume is lower, but items sold per person is among the highest.)

So, even with dorks, urban setting, remote teaching, Chinese students, etc ... we're doing ok. And by the way ... Bobby Dodd said the same thing in 1966.

I think we have to stop beating ourselves up over attendance. It all comes down to winning games on a regular basis, playing quality opponents that fans want to see, and engaging the local community.

No then you agree. Our issue isnt numbers. We have plenty of alumn; but to reach the capacities needed we need even more alumn penetration which is hard with dorks.

We may be doing better than it should. But i am not talking about an opinion of if we are doing better than we should or not. I am saying we have enough people in the metro area to do even better than we currently are; but converting those alumn over is difficult since many dont care.

Two points about the items mentioned in this thread.....
  1. just happened to notice that last night's Atlanta United game at MB Stadium was NOT a sellout with about 43,000 tickets sold. Just saying'......
  2. I have long felt that GT attendance pushes above its weight class. UGa has 3 x as many alumni in Georgia as GT does....3 x the number...ergo their attendance should be 3 x ours....yet we draw nearly half their attendance. They do sell out and arguably could sell more tickets, but they'd need to average 150,000 to match our attendance to alumni ratio. The same holds true for the vast majority of football factories around. Simply put, we are a much smaller school than the vast majority of P5 schools in the south, and thus have the attendance that tracks with that.
I don't have factual data, but anecdotal. I know lots of Georgia "alums" that went to Athens one year, two years, even less, finished somewhere else. But they are staunch alumni when it comes to football support. Especially if their second alma mater has a bad football team, or none at all.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
FYI, 43k is a sellout.

I am repeating what the announcers said....that 45K was the capacity for soccer and that last night's crowd was just over 43K so NOT a sellout. That's what the AU announcers said on TV.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
With that said. Last time I was given the numbers we had around 50,000 living alumni in the Atlanta area.

Pretty sure it's 50,000 in the entire state of Georgia, NOT the Atlanta area. I am sure most are concentrated in the ATL, but there clearly would be fewer than 50K in the metro area. UG has 150K....so I guess they are even bigger dorks than us, huh? Otherwise, they'd average near 150K per game, right?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I am repeating what the announcers said....that 45K was the capacity for soccer and that last night's crowd was just over 43K so NOT a sellout. That's what the AU announcers said on TV.

I am not calling you a liar and I believe you that they said that on TV. However, that is incorrect. It was announced at the stadium as a sellout, the AJC reported it this morning as a sellout (link), and the official numbers for the Atlanta United configuration are "42,500 (expandable to 71,000)" (link).

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Every now and again, the issue of filling BDS comes up. In this case, Atlanta United showed what a full stadium could look like and we all wonder what a Jacket experience would be in a full BDS.

So, I looked at attendance data back to 2005. Tech averages 48,835 fans per home game. If you look the range of attendance over time, the standard deviation is about 2900. Over the same 12 year period, Tech exceeded the upper limit twice (in 2005 and 2009) and came up short also twice (in 2010 and 2012).

The Five Year Average attendance was 50, 315 from 2005-2009 and fell to 47,246 from 2010-2014. In the last two years, it's trending back up.

What to make of this? I need to go back and overlay won-loss records as well as quality of opponents, but it doesn't look as bad as others. Tech pretty consistently delivers 49,000 fans per game. And has. For a while.

V

This is great info. I'd like to see all the seats full but I'd also like to see the fans in attendance get louder. I have been disappointed by seeing fans sitting and silent when we our D is out there on third down. GET LOUD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
We're fine with this size stadium and if we can't completely fill every seat, who cares. Our fan base is not the most fervent but that's fine. We are who we are. I don't want us breathing, drinking, and worshiping football like some people do when you step 20 miles outside of Atlanta. And I don't want a 90000 Sanford on campus where you can't see anything without a telescope from the upper level (Mercedes Benz stadium anyone?).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
According to 2016 figures, Georgia Tech ranked 43rd in college football attendance out of 128 FBS schools. Tech's average game attendance of 47,503 already beats Stanford (44,804), Vanderbilt (31,242) and Duke (29,895) ... which some may consider our peer group.

Should Tech sell BDS out and reach 55,000, it would beat SEC schools Kentucky and Missouri as well.

V

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
According to 2016 figures, Georgia Tech ranked 43rd in college football attendance out of 128 FBS schools. Tech's average game attendance of 47,503 already beats Stanford (44,804), Vanderbilt (31,242) and Duke (29,895) ... which some may consider our peer group.

Should Tech sell BDS out and reach 55,000, it would beat SEC schools Kentucky and Missouri as well.

V
We need a way to get the west campus high tech foreign (asian) students involved. They represent gt well in silicon valley and atl high tech.
Need more buzz at games.

Animal02

Banned
We're fine with this size stadium and if we can't completely fill every seat, who cares. Our fan base is not the most fervent but that's fine. We are who we are. I don't want us breathing, drinking, and worshiping football like some people do when you step 20 miles outside of Atlanta. And I don't want a 90000 Sanford on campus where you can't see anything without a telescope from the upper level (Mercedes Benz stadium anyone?).
But they could go the Michigan method and just reduce the seat width to 15". Instantly have a 100k seat stadium.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I know many will disagree. But I'd rather have 20k fans screaming their tails off (just not when our O has the ball smh) than 45k sitting on their thumbs.

I can't have my cake or eat it.