BDS Attendance

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
I am on row 9. Normally wear the cowboy hat for afternoon games. Say hi next week if you remember.

---

Missing next 2 home games for family weddings -- neither asked me about scheduling.:banghead::banghead::banghead: I'll try and remember to say hello at the VT game.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Missed a zero. :inpain: Then it was all down hill from there. That is what I get for posting with a fever. :dead: It is 3.9 to 4.5 million.....still far less the the TV revenue

Wonder what the revenue per ticket is from concessions and parking. Guessing it would probably be about $3 a head parking and $5 for concessions. Still nothing to sneeze at per game

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I was watching a show with Durant Brooks highlights and noticed a nearly full upper north stands. The opponent was Maryland. Come to think of it, this might have been the game that ended with Michael Johnson back to back sacks.

Fast forward to 2011 and a 5-0 GT was hosting Maryland. I remember thinking to myself why aren't more people here.

What changed?

jacob

Banned
I was watching a show with Durant Brooks highlights and noticed a nearly full upper north stands. The opponent was Maryland. Come to think of it, this might have been the game that ended with Michael Johnson back to back sacks.

Fast forward to 2011 and a 5-0 GT was hosting Maryland. I remember thinking to myself why aren't more people here.

What changed?
Been thinking that same thing.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure about this. Tech gets $13MM a year to play when the networks tell us.

It's all about content. Win more + play better opponents = better content value ... and a later start time.
That's a nice theory...until one notes the disparity between our start times and Wake's...are you really trying to imply that they've won more than us or played better opponents? How is their "content value" better than ours?

Also, if we get $13M (sorry, I'm a scientist; M = millions, k=thousands) per year in TV revenue, and forfeit $250k - $500k in ticket sales per noon game...five times per year...then we are actually forfeiting at least 10% of the contract value in lost home revenue. Other, worse, teams in the league (e.g. Wake) get better time slots and don't have to take that hit in ticket sales, and therefore effectively earn more from the same media contract.

jacob

Banned
That's a nice theory...until one notes the disparity between our start times and Wake's...are you really trying to imply that they've won more than us or played better opponents? How is their "content value" better than ours?

Also, if we get $13M (sorry, I'm a scientist; M = millions, k=thousands) per year in TV revenue, and forfeit $250k - $500k in ticket sales per noon game...five times per year...then we are actually forfeiting at least 10% of the contract value in lost home revenue. Other, worse, teams in the league (e.g. Wake) get better time slots and don't have to take that hit in ticket sales, and therefore effectively earn more from the same media contract.
Please email Tstan this.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Also, if we get $13M per year in TV revenue, and forfeit $250k - $500k in ticket sales per noon game...five times per year...then we are actually forfeiting at least 10% of the contract value in lost home revenue. Other, worse, teams in the league (e.g. Wake) get better time slots and don't have to take that hit in ticket sales, and therefore effectively earn more from the same media contract.

I didn't imply anything about Wake. TV has multiple considerations when choosing which games to air -they are in the business to sell advertising after all, so I would think they have a prioritization process. Wake playing FSU gives them 2 markets (Carolinas + Florida); playing BC gives them the Carolinas plus New England. Compare that to Tech playing Jacksonville State and Pitt. I still maintain that we get oodles of positive exposure every time we play a name team ... so TStan should look at scheduling.

Personally, I don't mind a 12:00pm start, but others do. Fine.

Re your analysis of forfeiting 10% of the contract value, that's a dubious claim. You're basically claiming that special cause variation exists in the attendance figures due to a noon start. While you "may" be right (we'd have to pull those figures and look game by game), the total figures don't support that claim. Average attendance over the period before and after the TV contract has been consistent. Tech has only had 2 years, 2010 and 2012, that fell outside of a normal, statistical attendance range.

So are you saying there's no TV audience (and revenue) in Georgia and Pennsylvania? As far as Wake offering 2 markets and one of them being the Carolinas. Nobody outside of North Carolina in interested in Wake; people in South Carolina certainly are not, so the only 2 markets they have are North Carolina and that of whomever they are playing, just like Tech with Georgia and Pennsylvania.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So are you saying there's no TV audience (and revenue) in Georgia and Pennsylvania? As far as Wake offering 2 markets and one of them being the Carolinas.

Did I say that? I don't think I did.

What I did say was that there were multiple considerations for a network to consider when optimizing revenue.

I'm willing to bet that FSU on the ticket sold more advertising in FL than WF did.

Do you really think Jacksonville State can sell a lot of airtime? Seriously? Pitt? Maybe in 1976, but certainly not today.

Regardless, I have no access to FSS or ESPN's sell through rates, so for me it's a moot point. Maybe TStan does.

Did I say that? I don't think I did.

What I did say was that there were multiple considerations for a network to consider when optimizing revenue.

I'm willing to bet that FSU on the ticket sold more advertising in FL than WF did.

Do you really think Jacksonville State can sell a lot of airtime? Seriously? Pitt? Maybe in 1976, but certainly not today.

Regardless, I have no access to FSS or ESPN's sell through rates, so for me it's a moot point. Maybe TStan does.
Granted the WF - FSU game sold based solely on FSU's market, and granted also that the JSU game had virtually no market at all (why televise it at all?), Pitt certainly deserves a little more respect than what they get, and Tech certainly deserves a LOT more respect than what we get.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Meh, except for the student section that collectively wear a game day tshirt, ND looks just like this.
I agree. We need to concentrate on filling BDS first. That was exactly my impression at South Bend two years ago. This is what a full BDS would look like, colorwise. I didn't get all excited when I saw the Iowa stadium in stripes. It almost made it look empty IMO.