BDS Attendance

I must confess. I wasn't there until just after halftime. I left Greenwood, SC at 11:50 and walked into the stadium just after kick of halftime. I haz a ashamed.

Was out of town for a family funeral.
I would say that a family funeral is a good reason to have been late, and actually a good one not to be there at all. Nothing to be ashamed of.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
If we had kicked off at 2, 3, 3:30, 4 or 5 it would not have made that much difference.

12 or 12:20 kickoffs are an excuse.

Winners will find a way and market it as a bonus. Not another negative thing. I choose to look at it as a way to be able to watch all the other TV games.

THE ISSUE is not the kickoff time, but finding 15,000 or 20,000 more fans.

We are more concerned with making excuses than finding solutions.

And, at this point, we should have beat the hell out of ut & Pitt. And not played less than totally devastating against an FCS team.

THAT, not a 12:20 kickoff, is the issue.

If we had kicked off at 2, 3, 3:30, 4 or 5 it would not have made that much difference.

12 or 12:20 kickoffs are an excuse.

Winners will find a way and market it as a bonus. Not another negative thing. I choose to look at it as a way to be able to watch all the other TV games.

THE ISSUE is not the kickoff time, but finding 15,000 or 20,000 more fans.

We are more concerned with making excuses than finding solutions.

And, at this point, we should have beat the hell out of ut & Pitt. And not played less than totally devastating against an FCS team.

THAT, not a 12:20 kickoff, is the issue.
Overall, I agree with you, but lots of people just won't come to a noon game, no matter who's playing. That might not account for 15 to 20, 000 more fans in the stands, but it definitely accounts for some.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Any Evening game would draw more fannies in the seats, especially first half of the season when there is a multitude of kids activities, ALTA tennis, etc. happening all over Metro ATL. More existing tickets would be used and there would be more tix sold on secondary markets.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I know that CPJ likes early starts, but when (as it does) it affects attendance, then TStan needs to address the issue, IF he can. There's no reason why 2/3 of our games over the past few years have had these early starts, while no other team in the conference comes close to that number.

Can anyone explain what coaches (or ADs) do wrt their team's kickoff time. This is a contractual deal between the conference & the networks, right?

CPJ isn't the reason we have noon kickoffs, is he?
The best anybody can probably do is complain, and use statistics which back up the complaint-----such as 2/3 of our games having had noon starts over the past 3 or 4 years.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The best anybody can probably do is complain, and use statistics which back up the complaint-----such as 2/3 of our games having had noon starts over the past 3 or 4 years.
And that particular method worked for Tech (FINALLY) after making the case regarding disparities in how BYE weeks were set.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Overall, I agree with you, but lots of people just won't come to a noon game, no matter who's playing. That might not account for 15 to 20, 000 more fans in the stands, but it definitely accounts for some.
I'll put it to you this way: I'm pretty sure if we started having 5:00 AM games I'd start staying up all night or something. I am not a reasonable fan.

I have a terrible time getting my wife to join me for noon games. My wife likes GT, likes being told about which players are Engineering majors, and likes dip n dots. She's probably a lot closer to the average than me.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Can anyone explain what coaches (or ADs) do wrt their team's kickoff time. This is a contractual deal between the conference & the networks, right?

CPJ isn't the reason we have noon kickoffs, is he?
I know fans are frustrated w/ all the recent Noon starts, but CPJ and tSTAN and the GTAA have zero control over the kick times at BDS. (TV partners have complete control over that due in part to the million dollar checks they write to the ACC annually.)

Not sure why some fans can't understand this basic factiod.

#QuonForHeisman #TogetherWeSwarm

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Noon starts can be an issue, but it's not the main one. I have seen Georgia and Clemson both have sellouts at noon games against cupcake teams, so then what is our main issue then? I was watching on TV yesterday and man the stadium looked empty and that looks bad

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I've heard chatter about removing the south end zone/wardlaw bleachers, and building a new weight room there. Glass encased. Would look pretty cool on extra points. And force the students to squeeze into the north end zone (for two games a year at least. They don't show up to the rest).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Give us a 3:30 game and watch it fill up.

Our highest attendance games last year were:

Mercer 3:00
Clemson Thursday Night
Miami 12:00
Ga Southern 12:30

So that includes two instate teams with a lot of fans in Atlanta and two top 15 teams. It looks to me like the attendance depends a lot more on the opponent than it does the start time. Even looking at the 2016 Clemson game, the club seats were only half filled at kickoff. Half of the people that were in the club seats were wearing orange.

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Noon starts are an issue in Metro Atlanta. Likely a bigger issue for GT as we have a smaller fan base & a stadium we can't fill ourselves w/o help. Youth sports, scouts, ALTA tennis, you name it. It all adds up. 4 or 7pm starts have a better chance of drawing those fans into BDS THEN Noon-ish, esp. early half of season

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Noon starts are an issue in Metro Atlanta. Likely a bigger issue for GT as we have a smaller fan base & a stadium we can't fill ourselves w/o help. Youth sports, scouts, ALTA tennis, you name it. It all adds up. 4 or 7pm starts have a better chance of drawing those fans into BDS THEN Noon-ish, esp. early half of season

I know of 4 season ticket seats that would be purchased if not for 2 of the reasons you stated above. One of my buddies is now paying more for Falcons season tickets as an alternative to GT because he anticipated most GT home games would be at noon on Saturday, and he is in ALTA. He was happy to eat the cost for a game or two, but it no longer made sense as of a couple years ago when he started eating half or more of the cost.

I don't know if he is representative of the problem at large, though I've met others who have passed on season tickets because of their children's youth sports. Perhaps there are those who are coming to games because of early starts and are offsetting the issue. I have no data of scale to support other than personal experience that says noon starts are detrimental to attendance.