Ball State game.

GT_EE78

Banned
I wonder if we're thinking of dropping the appeal and taking the postseason ban this year. Right now it's difficult to see us with a winning record at season end.
I think it's unlikely cuz they probably want to fill that 13th spot. (even tho they could be selective about which thing to drop appeal)
motivation is also poor already and that couldn't help.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Game was awful, but had some pretty good seats last night.

View attachment 7476

How could you see the game? Did you ask them to move? :devil: ;)

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
After taking a day to relax and comment with a clear head:
that was one of the worse offensive game plans I have ever seen...ever...
I understand not having your point guard affects things but once it got set up, what we did made zero sense....and to no surprise, did not work.
Devoe or Moore would bring it up. We would dribble at the top of the logo for about 5 seconds before anyone starts moving. Then Banks or Moses would already be or jog up to the top of the key with their back to the point guard, essentially setting a screen with their butt. The guard would then use the screen and try to turn the corner but the defender hedged the screen almost every time causing us to back it out. When the defender hedges the screen, the big man is supposed to slip down, not stand, holding the screen for what seems 5 seconds. (Watch John Collins when pick n' rolling with Trae for a good example)
We would then swing it to the guard who rotated to the top of the key, who would then go into triple threat position, pump fake, jab, and pass back to the guard....essentially doing nothing besides wasting the shot clock because the defense did not move at all.
From there, the PG who got the ball back would do the same; triple threat, pump fake, jab, and swing it back. This went on as many as four times in a possession last night before anyone cut or moved without the basketball.
If we did successfully get the ball into the paint or to the post, not one person cut back door for an easy lay up. That is 100% coaching. I hear Josh always saying we need to cut hard, well then force it. If someone doesn't cut hard to the basket for AN EASY layup, pull em! Keep doing it until you find someone to do the basic thing every single good team does. All we do is stand on the perimeter.

Pastner's adjustment was to have a double screen at the top of the key, with Bubba and Moses screening for the ball handler, we had a little bit of success with Devoe driving left but then Ball State made the adjustment and that was short lived.
Final thought, can we please please please, learn how to do an entry pass to the post. Fake low, then pass high. Move their hands down to make an easy over the top pass. Just trying to throw it to the post obviously doesn't work, and even worse, throwing a low bounce pass to a 6"11" player. Just silly, very correctable things...but this has been the case for a long time. It should take one practice to fix and preach these things.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The key thing you point out is that everyone had to stop, triple threat, jab and stop the offense. No flow or movement - just sticking. Happened all night long. That isn't high level coaching - that is 4th grade AAU stuff that these guys know better. At this stage it is mental - either tuning out the coach or simply thinking they have to make hero moves cause nothing else is going to work. FWIW I think DeVoe went into that mode yesterday which isn't his game.

I also don't understand why we stuck with pretty much the same lineup especially in the second half. No reason not to look for anyone who really wanted to be out there aso opposed to those who obviously didn't.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I think we need to be vigilant in our effort not to shame the players. In reality these are just kids and they are playing to their coaching level even though their talent levels suggest they should be playing at a higher clip.

Idk what the problem is with this team, but when you are ranked in the mid 300s in nearly every offensive category, theres a major disconnect with the level of coaching that is to be expected from an ACC level basketball program. Jose alone is not the reason why we are losing by double digits to teams 3 games in a row

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We’re worse. We’re irrelevant. Nobody gives a crap about GT anymore except the poor bastards that catch us on a night we show up to play. They have no explanation for a loss to us.

I was at Tech when Duane Morrison was coach and we won 4 games. Cremins comes in and totally transforms Tech basketball. That we are now back in the abyss is just an AA that doesn’t care. It doesn’t cost that much to run basketball program and it’s one of two revenue sports. Just sad.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I was at Tech when Duane Morrison was coach and we won 4 games. Cremins comes in and totally transforms Tech basketball. That we are now back in the abyss is just an AA that doesn’t care. It doesn’t cost that much to run basketball program and it’s one of two revenue sports. Just sad.

You are right, it is sad when you think back to the days of the "Thriller Dome" how far we have fallen and for so long ... I don't have the answer, but Pastner is starting to wear thin on me.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
The key thing you point out is that everyone had to stop, triple threat, jab and stop the offense. No flow or movement - just sticking. Happened all night long. That isn't high level coaching - that is 4th grade AAU stuff that these guys know better. At this stage it is mental - either tuning out the coach or simply thinking they have to make hero moves cause nothing else is going to work. FWIW I think DeVoe went into that mode yesterday which isn't his game.

I also don't understand why we stuck with pretty much the same lineup especially in the second half. No reason not to look for anyone who really wanted to be out there aso opposed to those who obviously didn't.
Exactly...I strongly agree.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
this is probably nitpicky on my part. ya think? but how about we dispense with the powder blue sneakers. the p pink sneakers. the gold sneakers with the sparkles etc and make the team dress like a team. maybe it would translate into more cohesive play and less shooting my shot while i can mentality.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This isn't the players fault. We have a collection of talent on this team that includes 4 or 5 "4 star" guys, and the rest are pretty much 3 star guys. That should beat Ball State with a brand new coach game 1, let alone one that has been here for 4 years. I guess we just wait it out at this point until we can get a new coach. Really sucks for some of these players, because there is some athleticism and talent that is being wasted, but these are Pastner's guys and he has no excuse. Jose being out doesn't mean you get blown out by Ball State.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Arizona State vied for the worst loss of the night, and grabbed some of the attention

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=401170631

40 point loss to St Mary’s.

I still rank ours on top because (a) it’s us and (b) they had a player or two with good stat lines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That ASU stat line is crazy! Three guys combined for all their field goals. One lead the team with 43 points and takes 29 shots. The other two combined for the only 13 points that had the entire game (56). The rest of the team combines to go 0-20.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I remember those times, Al Ciraldo would give me 2 tickets to any game i wanted to attend. It was like a morgue