Ball State game.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i am a bb first kind of guy. i was there when we had morrison as our coach. ive met bobby a number of times. sat on the bench. up until recently i was encouraged by what was going on. watching my team play like this is beyond painful.

i suppose i can start rooting for the ladies more. they are 8 an 1 and play the 11th ranked texas a m squad in texas tomorrow night at 7. we should know more about how good we are tomorrow.

go lady jackets

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
That ASU stat line is crazy! Three guys combined for all their field goals. One lead the team with 43 points and takes 29 shots. The other two combined for the only 13 points that had the entire game (56). The rest of the team combines to go 0-20.

coach wasnt moon lighting was he? he has arizona connections. after all.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not b-ball first, but b-ball is a close second to football. So sad to see where we have fallen as a program since the 04 final four. A decade of bad basketball. Will take another savior coach to get us out of this mess.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s one thing to have an embarrassing, inscrutable loss. It’s another to have one on a yearly basis.

Last year, we had the Gardner-Webb loss
The year before, we lost to Wofford, Grambling, and Wright State.
The season before that, we lost to Ohio.
A crazy loss is a regular occurrence now. I think we forget about some of these losses because we’ve gotten used to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Agreed, slugboy. These losses are unacceptable and season killers. I think we all agree things have been really bad with this program, and I don’t know who believes Pastner can turn it around. I had hopes before the sanctions and before the start of this year, but it’s the same old crap.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, slugboy. These losses are unacceptable and season killers. I think we all agree things have been really bad with this program, and I don’t know who believes Pastner can turn it around. I had hopes before the sanctions and before the start of this year, but it’s the same old crap.
Yep season killer for sure. At this point we need to see Pastner fire everyone on staff in the offseason (minus Reveno I guess), and hope that makes a difference next year. Don't think Josh is going anywhere unless someone donates 10 mil to get rid of him.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It’s one thing to have an embarrassing, inscrutable loss. It’s another to have one on a yearly basis.

Last year, we had the Gardner-Webb loss
The year before, we lost to Wofford, Grambling, and Wright State.
The season before that, we lost to Ohio.
A crazy loss is a regular occurrence now. I think we forget about some of these losses because we’ve gotten used to them.

I remember when Pastner was hired. He told his assistants not to play golf because that’s five hours they should be dedicating to winning championships.

This from a guy that cannot even use Outlook.

Bruce Pearl has ignited Auburn basketball. Barnes has made UT relevant. GT under Pastner? Forgotten.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember when Pastner was hired. He told his assistants not to play golf because that’s five hours they should be dedicating to winning championships.

Bruce Pearl has ignited Auburn basketball. Barnes has made UT relevant. GT under Pastner? Forgotten.
I’m not happy with Pastner’s work last night either, but he makes 1.87 million per year compared to 3.2 for Barnes and 3.8 for Pearl and Tech has not been able to afford those salaries for basketball in a long time, if ever.

slugboy

Staff member
Yep season killer for sure. At this point we need to see Pastner fire everyone on staff in the offseason (minus Reveno I guess), and hope that makes a difference next year. Don't think Josh is going anywhere unless someone donates 10 mil to get rid of him.

I’ve seen discussion that we can’t fire Pastner because of money, and also that it’s not just firing Pastner but getting a quality replacement.
First, I’m not saying the solution is firing assistant coaches, I’m replying to a post about that.
Second, if the issue was just funding replacing Pastner, that’s one situation. We’re not blowing the doors off our competition in how we pay assistants or the support staff we have.
If the thought is “surround him with talented assistants and he’ll be fine”, that costs $$$ too.

We don’t have the legal department to make Bruce Pearl an option here.

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not b-ball first, but b-ball is a close second to football. So sad to see where we have fallen as a program since the 04 final four. A decade of bad basketball. Will take another savior coach to get us out of this mess.
Tech hasn't been relevant since I was in middle school.... It's just sad at this point. I grew up loving our team, now I couldn't care less.... This has been a terrible hire from the beginning

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
After taking a day to relax and comment with a clear head:
that was one of the worse offensive game plans I have ever seen...ever...
I understand not having your point guard affects things but once it got set up, what we did made zero sense....and to no surprise, did not work.
Devoe or Moore would bring it up. We would dribble at the top of the logo for about 5 seconds before anyone starts moving. Then Banks or Moses would already be or jog up to the top of the key with their back to the point guard, essentially setting a screen with their butt. The guard would then use the screen and try to turn the corner but the defender hedged the screen almost every time causing us to back it out. When the defender hedges the screen, the big man is supposed to slip down, not stand, holding the screen for what seems 5 seconds. (Watch John Collins when pick n' rolling with Trae for a good example)
We would then swing it to the guard who rotated to the top of the key, who would then go into triple threat position, pump fake, jab, and pass back to the guard....essentially doing nothing besides wasting the shot clock because the defense did not move at all.
From there, the PG who got the ball back would do the same; triple threat, pump fake, jab, and swing it back. This went on as many as four times in a possession last night before anyone cut or moved without the basketball.
If we did successfully get the ball into the paint or to the post, not one person cut back door for an easy lay up. That is 100% coaching. I hear Josh always saying we need to cut hard, well then force it. If someone doesn't cut hard to the basket for AN EASY layup, pull em! Keep doing it until you find someone to do the basic thing every single good team does. All we do is stand on the perimeter.

Pastner's adjustment was to have a double screen at the top of the key, with Bubba and Moses screening for the ball handler, we had a little bit of success with Devoe driving left but then Ball State made the adjustment and that was short lived.
Final thought, can we please please please, learn how to do an entry pass to the post. Fake low, then pass high. Move their hands down to make an easy over the top pass. Just trying to throw it to the post obviously doesn't work, and even worse, throwing a low bounce pass to a 6"11" player. Just silly, very correctable things...but this has been the case for a long time. It should take one practice to fix and preach these things.

I appreciate your rational thinking.

After taking a day to relax and comment with a clear head I have absolutely nothing constructive to say. I’m still speechless.

/

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I just got around to watching this game and noticed that Ball State has several decent outside shooters. That is something we lack as a team. As a result, defenses can collapse on us and force us to take outside shots. How many times did Banks encounter a double or triple team. He passed the ball out but we couldn't do anything with it by either quickly moving the ball around or hitting an outside shot.

I had high hopes that Parham would provide a consistent outside scoring threat however I have not seen it thus far. Perhaps he can relax when Alvarado comes back and focus more on his outside shooting. Sjolund will be missed if he decides to transfer as he did provide the threat of hitting 3 pointers.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Jose can penetrate and kick out to an open shooter. Has been Devoe but he seems to be rushing his shot a little and is drawing a lot of attention. Bubba could be the guy to go to but we will be small with him and Jose at the same time. Usher will get better once he gets comfortable with his game. We have struggled to get the ball down low to Banks and turned over several sloppy passes. He has not been as effective when he gets the ball at the high post but we haven't penetrated the paint well off his high screens either. Our O has struggled without Jose. Let's hope he gets us going again.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that’s one thing Jose doesn’t get enough credit for. He is really good at finishing around the basket and making a dump off pass to a big/cutter. Keeping your dribble in the lane is so important and we don’t really have anyone who can snake the lane like he does.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
We also had way to many unforced turnovers during the game. I know this has been mentioned several times but we've got to do a better job in taking care of the basketball. It was frustrating during period in the first half when Ball State went on their run that we had so many empty possessions.

Usher had several turnovers however I attribute that more to 'nervous energy' on his part with this being his first game back. I'm looking forward to his contributions as he relaxes and let the game come to him.

I still have high hopes for this team despite the early season missteps. They key will be to finish strong and try to make the semifinals of the ACC Tournament if we want to chance at making the NCAA tournament. This assumes that a decision has not been made regarding our eligibility or it is granted.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Im just gonna say it....

If yall are holding out hope that Jose is gonna come back and miraculously lead this team to a 20+ win season, I do think yall are about to get your feelings hurt. There is nothing from this team that has shown me they are a 20 win team. We are bottom feeders in almost ALL offensive categories and one person isnt going to change that. It isnt the talent, its the coaching. Pastner has lost this team and it is obvious. We should've lost to Bethune-Cookman and NCST also.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Im just gonna say it....

If yall are holding out hope that Jose is gonna come back and miraculously lead this team to a 20+ win season, I do think yall are about to get your feelings hurt. There is nothing from this team that has shown me they are a 20 win team. We are bottom feeders in almost ALL offensive categories and one person isnt going to change that. It isnt the talent, its the coaching. Pastner has lost this team and it is obvious. We should've lost to Bethune-Cookman and NCST also.

I think this is mostly true, but the impact of not having a PG can be pretty big when you don't have excellence in any offensive category. I could see us improving quite a bit when Jose returns, but it's too late to dream of a 20 win season. I am beginning to think it's too late to dream of a 15 win season.

I know the NCAA did not name Josh in the NOA, but he was the head coach when two of his players took flight for a weekend in Arizona on the dime of one of Pastner's pals. He was the head coach when when one of his assistants took a recruit to a strip club with money from a former player. He needs to be held accountable for not doing what a head couch should do: being responsible for the things that can affect the quality of the team he leads.

Even if we can beat Boise State (which would surprise me) I don't see how we get to nine or ten wins in the ACC. And that is what it will take for us to get 15 wins. If I am wrong, please help me see where nine wins come from. We have one, so which eight remaining games do you think we can win??? If we have less than that, we will be ineligible for the post season.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT Basketball is still 132 games above .500, all-time.
Josh Pastner (ACC) (2016–present)
2016–17 Pastner 21–16 ; 8–10 11th NIT Finalist
2017–18 Pastner 13–19 ; 6–12 13th
2018–19 Pastner 14–18 ; 6–12 10th

The ACC records listed in the second position, don’t forecast for much optimism.

I’m still pulling for us to take these next 3, the Morehouse game in the middle of January and have a dynamic conference showing. Do I think Alvarado is the difference? Usher getting acclimated and taking off? No. Sounds negative, however I’ve totally lost faith in this coach. He is the oversight to this program. Remaining hopeful the A.D. and his office, understand how much the extension affects us.