Auburn fans have a thread about GT on their board

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The school supplies the maximum amount of money to athletics that it is legally allowed to. The school cannot provide any more money or support staff. It is legally up to the GTAA to pay for athletics with a maximum of 10% of their budget being provided by the school. The other money comes from ACC(TV, bowl allotments, etc), ticket sales, merchandising, and donations. We have been hamstrung because the fans don't buy tickets, don't buy merchandise, and don't donate money. Peterson has done everything he can from a financial standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have to disagree. The relationship between the Hill and the GTAA is tenuous at best. There is no sharing of donor rolls, no joint fundraising, heck ... the Hill even struggles to license trademarks for use by GTAA.

As to what the Hill provides financially is simple ... Tech waives out of state tuition for SA’s coming from outside of GA. That’s it.

I’m not complaining. But Tech could do a lot more by just taking the chains off. That do ant require money. It requires leadership.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have to disagree. The relationship between the Hill and the GTAA is tenuous at best. There is no sharing of donor rolls, no joint fundraising, heck ... the Hill even struggles to license trademarks for use by GTAA.

As to what the Hill provides financially is simple ... Tech waives out of state tuition for SA’s coming from outside of GA. That’s it.

I’m not complaining. But Tech could do a lot more by just taking the chains off. That do ant require money. It requires leadership.

It isn't agree or disagree, it is simple fact.

Under GA law and BOR regulations, P5 schools can only provide 10% of the funding for athletics.(That isn't abnormal for other states) In 2016 GTAA's budget was $76.4 million. The school provided $7.44 million from student fees and school money. It would have been possible to provide about $200k more, but from a macro standpoint(it is a 2.7% difference), they are providing all that they legally can. That is much more than "simple ... Tech waives out of state tuition for SA’s coming from outside of GA." I am providing proof in the form of reporting that looks thru the financial reports from the school and provides actual numbers.

I believe that TStan is doing a good job of reconnecting with donors and has started some initiatives to attract small to medium donors. I do not expect Bud Peterson to drop monitoring areas of the school in order to personally take over the task of fundraising for the GTAA. He does go to games. He does meet with donors and fans and try to make sure that they are happy. I haven't been to any GTAA board meetings, but I assume he runs those well. There are some very big donors on the board, and I haven't heard any of them complain that he is ignoring the GTAA or athletic concerns.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

EDIT: The Roll Call is not a school run fundraising event. It is run by the Alumni Association. The Hill is not in charge of it, or the donor list from it. If you want anything changed with Roll Call, you need to complain to the Alumni Association.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
@Vespidae If you don't believe that the school cannot provide more than 10% of the athletic budget, here is a link to the BOR regulations. Section 4.5.8 is the one regarding funding.

Of note: "“Subsidy” is the sum of direct institutional support and student fees and does not include the value of out-of-state tuition waivers." So the 10% limit includes student fees and any money or support that comes directly from the school. According to the NCAA financial reporting, that would even include things such as power for the Edge Center, unless it is separately metered and paid for by the GTAA. If GT grounds maintenance cuts the grass on the football practice field, their labor time has to be counted in the NCAA direct institutional support and will be counted in the 10% unless the GTAA reimburses the school for their labor time. The school really is restricted on what it can do financially or work support wise to fund the GTAA.

http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section4/C331/#p4.5.8_funding_of_intercollegiate_athletic_programs

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The school supplies the maximum amount of money to athletics that it is legally allowed to. The school cannot provide any more money or support staff. It is legally up to the GTAA to pay for athletics with a maximum of 10% of their budget being provided by the school. The other money comes from ACC(TV, bowl allotments, etc), ticket sales, merchandising, and donations. We have been hamstrung because the fans don't buy tickets, don't buy merchandise, and don't donate money. Peterson has done everything he can from a financial standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The last sentence is what I will agree to disagree on.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Wait, what? I don’t think either Gregory or Pastner are anywhere near the top half of the ACC or even top 40 nationally in coaching salaries. Gregory may not have even been top 60. I wouldn’t call that “paying out the butt.”

You have to factor in Partner+Gregory+Hewitt's pay and our total pool of money we are paying for HC salaries is massive. It's something like $2.5million or even more if I remember correctly. It would be hovering around the top 10 in the country. Pastner makes $1.87 which is just shy of Roy Williams who makes a hair over $2million.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Roy Williams makes much more than that. There's $ from Nike, sports camps, TV & radio. UNCheats won't release his total compensation #, big surprise. I'm sure that at least doubles his salary, probably MORE than doubles it. Hidden money, hidden classes....

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I have mixed feelings about this topic. I feel, in relation to achieving an ENTIRE AD that we can point to with pride, we have met the enemy and it is all of us. Unfortunately the tendency to point fingers at Bobinski, or the Hill, or Peterson , begs the question : what type of fans are we ? Some (maybe even many ) of us are rabid Tech fans and supporters of all things Tech. Some (many ?) of us even put our money where our mouths are. But face it, ladies and gentlemen, we do not have a LARGE energized fan base. Is part of that because of the size of the school ? Of course it is ! But we don't have to fill a 90,000 seat football stadium, but barely more than half that.
Personally, I think we all need to be excited ambassadors of Tech, both grads and sidewalk fans. We are proud , let's get loud about it. We need to re-energize our alumni network and have those organizations reach out with mixers to ALL fans of Tech, all around the country. Fortunately, many of us are successful financially and owe a lot of that to hard work at Tech. We should be proud of that and I know many are. But we also want to be able to include our athletic success in that pride. Tech athletics are not horrible, but we all know they can be better. And we ALL also need to make that happen , too.

@Vespidae If you don't believe that the school cannot provide more than 10% of the athletic budget, here is a link to the BOR regulations. Section 4.5.8 is the one regarding funding.

Of note: "“Subsidy” is the sum of direct institutional support and student fees and does not include the value of out-of-state tuition waivers." So the 10% limit includes student fees and any money or support that comes directly from the school. According to the NCAA financial reporting, that would even include things such as power for the Edge Center, unless it is separately metered and paid for by the GTAA. If GT grounds maintenance cuts the grass on the football practice field, their labor time has to be counted in the NCAA direct institutional support and will be counted in the 10% unless the GTAA reimburses the school for their labor time. The school really is restricted on what it can do financially or work support wise to fund the GTAA.

http://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section4/C331/#p4.5.8_funding_of_intercollegiate_athletic_programs
This may not be the place for this post, but it is at least indirectly related to your post. I read this morning that UGAG had named their new indoor football facility, and that the name had been approved by the BOR. Why is the BOR involved in the naming of any athletics facility if tax money is not used in the construction. That at least implies to me that I and each of you other Georgia residents helped pay fot the mutt practice facility. I want to know why. I want my money back.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What else should he do?

The gravy train of $$$$ from research group and the gt reputation that supports record applications make the job of prez completely devoid of the need to Market.

The schools image on the field of athletics needs to be moved way up in his priority.
MARKETING that Tech can field a highly successful football team of student athletes should be adopted as a higher priority BY HILL NOT JUST GTAA

1 . Hire a creative accountant to find ways to allow more giving in kind of hill assests at reduced prices
2. NEVER HAPPEN BUT = Demand that we get broader number degrees - by allowing some select courses from emory and ga state. Get rid of calculus but add statistics (lite) for all non engineers . Act like we may drop uga game. Oh wait he is paid and we are funded by uga stats reps.
LEVEL PLAYING FIELD -NEVER HAPPEN

4 For the last home game = Lead the team on field and act fired up.
Have all the tutors with him. Make academics part of the the game.

5. At a basketball half time fund raiser (Streamed to those that donate) he and cpj be referrees in a Sumo wrestling match between Irwin Joe and Joe Erin (AA). Buzz can wrestle the other teams mascot. (Be a part while having fun)

6. Start a tradition of with south endzone sky box folks having family and high school coach , academic advisor, tutor of selected senior players attend in their booth. The prsz leads effort to make a life time memoir for all especially for an underprivileged family.

In summary .
Stop looking at the boat. Get in and row!

Engineers and marketing, shall the twain ever meet at bds??

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This may not be the place for this post, but it is at least indirectly related to your post. I read this morning that UGAG had named their new indoor football facility, and that the name had been approved by the BOR. Why is the BOR involved in the naming of any athletics facility if tax money is not used in the construction. That at least implies to me that I and each of you other Georgia residents helped pay fot the mutt practice facility. I want to know why. I want my money back.

There may be concerns about the BOR, but this budget issue isn't one of them. The subsidy percentage maximum was put in place after some national reports about college athletic funding. Georgia State was subsidizing athletics at something like 90%. The students felt that it was extremely unfair to charge them large fees, basically for football, when many of the students weren't even interested. The BOR looked into it and many states have funding limits, so they adopted limits that I believe are in line with what other states do.

BTW, the mutts collect almost half of the student fees that GT collects even though they have 11,000 more students. The school itself does not contribute anything to their athletic department other than out of state exemptions.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
You do realize he started 26 games as a WR st Kansas State, right? I’m pretty sure he knows more about football than you, me, and nearly everyone on this board.
Yes, where his teams went 23-32 overall and 11-24 in conference play, so he is used to losing.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
You have to factor in Partner+Gregory+Hewitt's pay and our total pool of money we are paying for HC salaries is massive. It's something like $2.5million or even more if I remember correctly. It would be hovering around the top 10 in the country. Pastner makes $1.87 which is just shy of Roy Williams who makes a hair over $2million.

If your point is that we pay near the top in basketball only when you add together the amount we are paying three different coaches (two of which have been fired), then I think you have answered your own original question of why GT basketball struggles.

There may be concerns about the BOR, but this budget issue isn't one of them. The subsidy percentage maximum was put in place after some national reports about college athletic funding. Georgia State was subsidizing athletics at something like 90%. The students felt that it was extremely unfair to charge them large fees, basically for football, when many of the students weren't even interested. The BOR looked into it and many states have funding limits, so they adopted limits that I believe are in line with what other states do.

BTW, the mutts collect almost half of the student fees that GT collects even though they have 11,000 more students. The school itself does not contribute anything to their athletic department other than out of state exemptions.
As I said, I wasn't sure where to post that, because I realize the budget issue is an entirely different matter. But I still want to know how the BOR is involved in the naming of athletics facilities that were supposedly paid for by donors, NOT tax payers. Did they have to approve the name change of Alexander Memorial Coliseum to McCamish Pavilion? If so, why?