Auburn fans have a thread about GT on their board

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Their natty and heisman are very tainted, does anyone have any doubt that Cam Newton was paid?
RemotePleasantBluebird-size_restricted.gif

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It isn't agree or disagree, it is simple fact.

Under GA law and BOR regulations, P5 schools can only provide 10% of the funding for athletics.(That isn't abnormal for other states) In 2016 GTAA's budget was $76.4 million. The school provided $7.44 million from student fees and school money. It would have been possible to provide about $200k more, but from a macro standpoint(it is a 2.7% difference), they are providing all that they legally can. That is much more than "simple ... Tech waives out of state tuition for SA’s coming from outside of GA." I am providing proof in the form of reporting that looks thru the financial reports from the school and provides actual numbers.

I believe that TStan is doing a good job of reconnecting with donors and has started some initiatives to attract small to medium donors. I do not expect Bud Peterson to drop monitoring areas of the school in order to personally take over the task of fundraising for the GTAA. He does go to games. He does meet with donors and fans and try to make sure that they are happy. I haven't been to any GTAA board meetings, but I assume he runs those well. There are some very big donors on the board, and I haven't heard any of them complain that he is ignoring the GTAA or athletic concerns.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

EDIT: The Roll Call is not a school run fundraising event. It is run by the Alumni Association. The Hill is not in charge of it, or the donor list from it. If you want anything changed with Roll Call, you need to complain to the Alumni Association.

This sounds like BS. As the President, you are suggesting Bud has no influence over the relationships among Roll Call, the GTAA, the Hill, etc.

Sorry .. but he could absolutely make the whole system work together better. This doesn’t require funding.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This sounds like BS. As the President, you are suggesting Bud has no influence over the relationships among Roll Call, the GTAA, the Hill, etc.

Sorry .. but he could absolutely make the whole system work together better. This doesn’t require funding.

Peterson is in charge of the Hill. Peterson is not in charge of Roll Call. That is run by the Alumni Association, in which the entire Board of Trustees consists of GT alumni. If you want to make changes to Roll Call to either have a check box on their forms to donate to the GTAA or to share the donor roll with the GTAA, then what you should do is: Get active with your local Alumni Association regional network, get in touch with leadership of the GT Alumni Association and make your position known, work within your regional network and try to convince people that your ideas would be better. If that doesn't work, then try to get a place on the GT Alumni Association Board of Trustees and push for such things. Peterson could push for them to do something, but the Alumni Association has a pretty clear mission statement that says nothing about athletics.

In the post I was responding to you also said "As to what the Hill provides financially is simple ... Tech waives out of state tuition for SA’s coming from outside of GA. That’s it.". In fact, the school through student fees pays more than $5 million of the athletic budget, and through general school funds pays more than $2 million of the athletic budget. That is more than waiving the out-of state fees. But I guess we should just ignore what Peterson is doing and blame all of the budget issues on him. I guess that is better than taking responsibility for ourselves and paying for our own entertainment.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
For starters? Be a leader. Become the face of improving those deficiencies.

I think that is what they hire the AD to do. I also think that TStan is doing an outstanding job of energizing the donors and fans. It seems to me that he really understands GT. He is doing a lot of the things that people on here have been asking for, and he doesn't get enough credit on here for the things he is doing.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
. In fact, the school through student fees pays more than $5 million of the athletic budget, a

What you mean, is that students buy tickets to attend games. And students pay through their fees. So it isn’t institutional support. It’s a pass through.

Your whole retort is very defensive, as if we have the best, most efficient program possible. Compared to others, it doesnt feel like it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
What you mean, is that students buy tickets to attend games. And students pay through their fees. So it isn’t institutional support. It’s a pass through.

The student fees are not tickets to attend games. They are mandatory fees on full time students of which probably 1/3 attend the games. They are in the definition of school subsidy as defined by the BOR. Also, it appears you are totally ignoring the $2.2 million in direct funding. The school, thru mandatory student fees and direct school funding is within 3% of the maximum that they are allowed to spend on athletics. They cannot use any more

Your whole retort is very defensive, as if we have the best, most efficient program possible. Compared to others, it doesnt feel like it.

I am not being defensive, simply pointing out that you are factually incorrect.

Fans like to point out that the school does not do its part to help athletics. What I see is that compared to other schools, the fans don't do nearly as much to help athletics as other schools. Clemson has a smaller enrollment and a slightly larger base of living alumni. They completely fill a stadium that has 26,500 more seats than ours. They get about $30 million more in revenue than GT, but the school(student fees and school funds) provides about $2.6 million less than at GT. They get about $24 million more in donations with a living alumni base that is only about 10% larger than GT's. They sell more merchandise. The do get some amount, maybe a couple of million more than us in the bowl payouts because they have been to the semi-finals and championship games for a couple of years. However, the very big differences between the two schools revenues are ticket sales and donations.

My take for the most part is that GT fans scream and say that they want the best product possible, but are unwilling to pay for even a G5 program's budget level. The fans expect some anonymous rich donors to pay for everything. They expect Peterson to micro-manage and run every detail of the GTAA. They expect TStan to pay for everything with money that does not exist. They expect CPJ to recruit better than Alabama with a staff size that is 1/5th of Alabama's staff. When any of the above ask the fans to help, the fans run away. With the recruiting challenge, they were able to raise $315K in a little over a month. Can be good or bad, but that was raised from only 320 people. There are times when on this one forum there are more than 320 people actively viewing GTSwarm. IF the fans care as much as they say they do, then there should be many more than 320 people donating.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The student fees are not tickets to attend games. They are mandatory fees on full time students of which probably 1/3 attend the games. They are in the definition of school subsidy as defined by the BOR. Also, it appears you are totally ignoring the $2.2 million in direct funding. The school, thru mandatory student fees and direct school funding is within 3% of the maximum that they are allowed to spend on athletics. They cannot use any more

I am not being defensive, simply pointing out that you are factually incorrect.

Fans like to point out that the school does not do its part to help athletics. What I see is that compared to other schools, the fans don't do nearly as much to help athletics as other schools. Clemson has a smaller enrollment and a slightly larger base of living alumni. They completely fill a stadium that has 26,500 more seats than ours. They get about $30 million more in revenue than GT, but the school(student fees and school funds) provides about $2.6 million less than at GT. They get about $24 million more in donations with a living alumni base that is only about 10% larger than GT's. They sell more merchandise. The do get some amount, maybe a couple of million more than us in the bowl payouts because they have been to the semi-finals and championship games for a couple of years. However, the very big differences between the two schools revenues are ticket sales and donations.

My take for the most part is that GT fans scream and say that they want the best product possible, but are unwilling to pay for even a G5 program's budget level.

Really? Wasn’t me. I buy season tickets, pay $$$ in A-T donations AND responded to the challenge.

Moreover, I personally contacted every ACC school and every SEC school and received a copy of their athletic association financials. I benchmarked Tech’s performance against every one. So yes, I have a picture of what’s going on and why.

Contrary to your view, I think we CAN do it. And it starts by overcoming our own dysfunction and talking about the things we can’t do and start by talking about what we can do.

Btw ... in over 35 years of donating, I’ve never been approached to give more. Until this year. Tech folks can be very generous. You make us sound like a bunch of bitter, unhappy fans, which is not the case. We give even when the product is bad because we enjoy supporting our school.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Really? Wasn’t me. I buy season tickets, pay $$$ in A-T donations AND responded to the challenge.

Moreover, I personally contacted every ACC school and every SEC school and received a copy of their athletic association financials. I benchmarked Tech’s performance against every one. So yes, I have a picture of what’s going on and why.

Contrary to your view, I think we CAN do it. And it starts by overcoming our own dysfunction and talking about the things we can’t do and start by talking about what we can do.

Btw ... in over 35 years of donating, I’ve never been approached to give more. Until this year. Tech folks can be very generous. You make us sound like a bunch of bitter, unhappy fans, which is not the case. We give even when the product is bad because we enjoy supporting our school.

I responded to the challenge also. I am just disappointed that there were only 318 more people than us who did.

I believe we can do it also. I just don't think pointing fingers at "The Hill" is going to get anything done. From a financial standpoint, it by state policy cannot get anything more done.

EDIT: It needs to be more than 320 people who respond to a challenge. It needs to be more than 7,000-8,000 annual donors to the AT Fund. There need to be more than 20,000-30,000 season ticket holders(by seats). I am not saying you in particular, but there are many people on this forum who complain, but do not donate. I am absolutely certain that some of the people here who complain are not in the 320 who donated to the challenge. I am simply saying that if those people want things to be better, there are ways they can personally affect change. If it is important enough to complain about, it should be important enough to do something about it, and the recruiting challenge was/is an excellent way for them to make a differnce.

I think TStan is doing a great job of getting people back into the program and involving more people. I believe he said that they are going to be rolling out a new fundraising campaign in the near future but need to listen to the Shultz podcast again to be sure. I believe that casting a wider net to find more SAs who will appreciate the experience at GT is the right thing to do, and the GTAA is making that happen. I believe that pushing athletes to be the best people they can be instead of Saturday afternoon robots for entertainment is the right thing to do, and I believe that the GTAA is doing that. The GTAA is not where it needs to be, but I believe it is on the right track. After the GTAA spent three years of running staff away and turning away donations, TStan has a long road to go to get things to a good spot.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
2. NEVER HAPPEN BUT = Demand that we get broader number degrees - by allowing some select courses from emory and ga state. Get rid of calculus but add statistics (lite) for all non engineers .

Did you know that Auburn, Appalachian State, Virginia Tech, and other colleges offer degrees in Fermentation Science (beer and wine making) or something similar? You may think it is a crap degree but microbreweries are popping up all around so I think that a brewmaster may be a popular and valuable degree. As a fairly new home brewer myself, I can tell you firsthand that this is a much more complex subject than I would’ve ever thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I responded to the challenge also. I am just disappointed that there were only 318 more people than us who did.

I believe we can do it also. I just don't think pointing fingers at "The Hill" is going to get anything done. From a financial standpoint, it by state policy cannot get anything more done.

EDIT: It needs to be more than 320 people who respond to a challenge. It needs to be more than 7,000-8,000 annual donors to the AT Fund. There need to be more than 20,000-30,000 season ticket holders(by seats). I am not saying you in particular, but there are many people on this forum who complain, but do not donate. I am absolutely certain that some of the people here who complain are not in the 320 who donated to the challenge. I am simply saying that if those people want things to be better, there are ways they can personally affect change. If it is important enough to complain about, it should be important enough to do something about it, and the recruiting challenge was/is an excellent way for them to make a differnce.

I think TStan is doing a great job of getting people back into the program and involving more people. I believe he said that they are going to be rolling out a new fundraising campaign in the near future but need to listen to the Shultz podcast again to be sure. I believe that casting a wider net to find more SAs who will appreciate the experience at GT is the right thing to do, and the GTAA is making that happen. I believe that pushing athletes to be the best people they can be instead of Saturday afternoon robots for entertainment is the right thing to do, and I believe that the GTAA is doing that. The GTAA is not where it needs to be, but I believe it is on the right track. After the GTAA spent three years of running staff away and turning away donations, TStan has a long road to go to get things to a good spot.
You can't contribute to a challenge if you don't know about the challenge to begin with. I don't think I am alone in saying that I would not have known anything at all about the challenge were it nor for posts on the blog. Apparently, they initially approached only a select few for donations, and they got what they asked for. Ask more fans, and you will get more.

Did you know that Auburn, Appalachian State, Virginia Tech, and other colleges offer degrees in Fermentation Science (beer and wine making) or something similar? You may think it is a crap degree but microbreweries are popping up all around so I think that a brewmaster may be a popular and valuable degree. As a fairly new home brewer myself, I can tell you firsthand that this is a much more complex subject than I would’ve ever thought.

Regardless of how good an idea it is, UGAG would be awarded such a degree program, and any requests by Tech would be immediately rejected.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
The only answer I can give to that question, which has been asked many, many times, is "because they can." Historically, the BOR or whoever was the overseer at the time of colleges in the state of Georgia has ALWAYS given to UGAG and with few exceptions taken from Tech.

Welp, that sucks if that’s correct. I just looked on the BOR website for new program approvals. There are 21 new program proposals in the pipeline and GT has exactly zero. UGA is requesting 1 out of the 21, a Master of Science with a major in Child Life.

Welp, that sucks if that’s correct. I just looked on the BOR website for new program approvals. There are 21 new program proposals in the pipeline and GT has exactly zero. UGA is requesting 1 out of the 21, a Master of Science with a major in Child Life.

Homer Rice proposed a few new majors at Tech in the 80s and actually got the approval from the Hill to move forward with them. Then the BOR rejected them all. IIRC one of the newly proposed majors was Sports Management.

Milwaukee

Banned

The craft industry is a huge bubble. I wouldn't start offering it at a major college. Michigan Tech actually offers a program for growing marijuana. Not horticulture, but specifically marijuana.

Love craft brew btw

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
As I said, I wasn't sure where to post that, because I realize the budget issue is an entirely different matter. But I still want to know how the BOR is involved in the naming of athletics facilities that were supposedly paid for by donors, NOT tax payers. Did they have to approve the name change of Alexander Memorial Coliseum to McCamish Pavilion? If so, why?
Yep...see page 5 of http://www.usg.edu/assets/regents/documents/board_meetings/sept09min.pdf

BOR place naming policy - http://www.usg.edu/facilities/resources/naming_policy_procedures