Auburn fans have a thread about GT on their board

GTfan1977

Banned
As far as Auburn basketball- they're cheaters. . They hire one of the biggest cheaters ever in Bruce Pearl. There's a reason they were in that FBI probe. Guess Person is not gonna roll on Pearl unfortunately. Pearl refuses to cooperate and answer his own university's probe into their basketball program. How did Auburn go from dumpster fire to a contender with a ton of top recruit$$$ so quickly? Guess now that they are atop the SEC in basketball, Auburn's administration will just sweep it all under the rug.

Ummmm, might be true about pearl being a cheater but aren’t you the pot calling the kettle black? I’m pretty sure GT/Pastner and Labarrie cheated just this season

GTfan1977

Banned
F Auburn. They have averaged exactly 1 win more than us in football since CPJ has been here and we have 156 wins to their 154 wins in basketball over that same time period. In other words, they ain't all that either.

True but auburn has also won a natty and played for another natty , so that stat is a little misleading about 1 more win a year and they won a heisman trophy

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't get defensive about their comments. They are totally correct. We should be better in athletics then we are. I often feel Buzz Peterson is an impediment to our athletic program.
There is no "feeling" to it. He is as well as the rest of the Hill.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Gus Malzahn has the frantic look of an accountant who is shredding ledger sheets as the IRS raids his office.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He does at times doesn't he? But I am impressed with the clever stuff he does with the spread option. His offense is interesting to watch unlike 90% of the spread teams that are pretty much the same.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Fair question, but honestly we really should be looking at every year since 2008...three losing seasons, two great seasons, a couple good seasons, a few mediocre seasons.

Someone else asked if we’d rather be 11-3 one year and 3-9 the next or 7-5 both. I’ll take the former, but man that sucks...I’d much rather have 11-3, 6-6. Several years worse than .500 starts to feel not good enough...even if we get the occasional awesome season. We should strive for better than that

Given the recruiting restrictions and the constant drama with defensive coordinators it is remarkable we have done as well as we have post Chan. I have no statistics or anything to back this up but my impression is that GT is a football school. Football is the straw that stirs the drink for most Tech fans. It has been that way for a long time even when we were not very good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
"Being good at sports" is about #5000 on the list of things a major university president should care about. It ain't his job to fix the GTAA.

And that’s especially true at Tech as compared to a land grant Uni like UGA. Tennessee’s program is in the dumpster and it has one of the best merchandise programs and revenue generation in the country. The difference is that athletics st UT is part of the university and ... the governor attended the school. There’s a lot of pressure to win. Tech? There is no pressure.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I'll give Virginia credit for its baseball program. They've superseded us, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Wake and NC State as the best program in the league.
Bennett has made UVa hoops tough to deal with.
As for Auburn, this is their first good year in men's hoops in a while. Their baseball team, IIRC, has been no great shakes for a while. Pearl very well may get them in trouble. From what I hear, Person is not cooperating with investigators and Pearl has pled ignorance to what Person is accused of doing.

Ok, now to us. The last couple of years have been very disappointing for baseball but injuries have played a part. Yes, there are those times - and those seasons - when I thought Hall should have taken the team much deeper into the postseason than he did.
Basketball ... Pastner can do the one thing well that was Gregory's biggest shortcoming. He can recruit. Gregory, I thought, was good at teaching the fundamentals, which were sorely lacking under Hewitt. Hewitt fell under the sway of the one and dones and they didn't help the program. Duke and Kentucky have made it work for them. Hewitt didn't. Pastner has a big rebuilding project ahead. If these allegations prove false, I think Pastner can lead us back to relevance.
Football ... This year was just flat out disappointing. Had every chance to beat Tennessee. Were a helmet catch away from beating Miami. Should have beaten Virginia. None of those happened. I think we're in a position to be a consistent 8-9 win team under PJ, with getting a double digit win season if things go right. Now the schedule every year is not easy. Va Tech, a Miami program that now has a clue under Richt and Clemson every year is no cake walk. This also isn't the Carl Franks/Fred Goldschmidt era Duke teams. Cutcliffe has recruited much better and instilled success into a better program. One more thing - PJ's program will not be an off the field embarrassment. His kids will graduate and he will not brook any foolishness and misbehavior. I think recruiting is about to get a boost - how big, I don't know - from the adidas deal and from the new locker room. It was in really bad shape (the locker room, that is), from what I have been told.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
What has he done to make himself look to be a big proponent of athletics? Or even a mediocre one? The lack of which speaks volumes to me.
He works with the NCAA on both the board of governors and a committee on basketball. He went out of his way to hire Todd Stansbury even setting up a special loan and expectations for Todd to help him come to Tech. He says all the right supportive things about athletics when asked and gives Todd and the coaches the freedom to run their own program as well as physically shows up to different events to show support.

From an university president that’s a pretty decent showing of support. Is he GTAA’s biggest cheerleader? No but I’m going to need some specific examples before I concede him being a “road block”

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
He works with the NCAA on both the board of governors and a committee on basketball. He went out of his way to hire Todd Stansbury even setting up a special loan and expectations for Todd to help him come to Tech. He says all the right supportive things about athletics when asked and gives Todd and the coaches the freedom to run their own program as well as physically shows up to different events to show support.

From an university president that’s a pretty decent showing of support. Is he GTAA’s biggest cheerleader? No but I’m going to need some specific examples before I concede him being a “road block”

Money talks and BS walks. We have been hamstrung competitively with a lack of support staff, lack of competitive salaries, etc.

tStan looks good but Mbob was the Bill Lewis of ADs. Piss on Bud.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Money talks and BS walks. We have been hamstrung competitively with a lack of support staff, lack of competitive salaries, etc.

The school supplies the maximum amount of money to athletics that it is legally allowed to. The school cannot provide any more money or support staff. It is legally up to the GTAA to pay for athletics with a maximum of 10% of their budget being provided by the school. The other money comes from ACC(TV, bowl allotments, etc), ticket sales, merchandising, and donations. We have been hamstrung because the fans don't buy tickets, don't buy merchandise, and don't donate money. Peterson has done everything he can from a financial standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow

Our athletic subsidies via student fees is already relatively large on a per-capita basis, and AFAIK there is no appetite on campus to raise them again.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

He recently spoke out about when you have juniors and seniors on your basketball team that means you're usually not good. That statement isn't true at all! Most of the recent champs and the current top 5 are junior and senior laden teams. He doesn't know squat about sports.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The school supplies the maximum amount of money to athletics that it is legally allowed to. The school cannot provide any more money or support staff. It is legally up to the GTAA to pay for athletics with a maximum of 10% of their budget being provided by the school. The other money comes from ACC(TV, bowl allotments, etc), ticket sales, merchandising, and donations. We have been hamstrung because the fans don't buy tickets, don't buy merchandise, and don't donate money. Peterson has done everything he can from a financial standpoint.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Your telling me Bud has done everything he can financially for Athletics? That's hilarious

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
There's a million reasons for why we aren't great at football, but I honestly don't know why we are terrible at basketball. We have amazing facilities, our last AD was specifically brought in because he was a basketball guy, and we pay out the butt in coaching salaries.

Wait, what? I don’t think either Gregory or Pastner are anywhere near the top half of the ACC or even top 40 nationally in coaching salaries. Gregory may not have even been top 60. I wouldn’t call that “paying out the butt.”