Auburn fans have a thread about GT on their board

GTfan1977

Banned
and are debating why we suck in all of the big three men’s sports. I’ve been a GT fan for 30+ years and I have to admit it seems we have hit almost rock bottom in the least three decades for combination of football, basketball, and baseball.
I’m most confident CPJ can right the ship, but no bowl games in 2 of 3 seasons is plain bad. I don’t know what to think of Pastner and BBall, seems scandalous and not sure he will work out. I could easily see us not making the NCAA tourney for the next 4-5 years. Baseball has been stuck in mediocrity for ten years sans a lucky run in ACC tourney. We are stuck like Clemson was with the last years of Jack Legget coaching them, we always joke fire CDH but until that happens I don’t see us winning a regional for a very long time and we used to do it at a pretty good clip.

I have numerous Clemson fans who have also recently asked me what has happened to GT in sports, we seem to be on same level as Weak Forest these days except they have a better baseball team.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
For starters we can't sign kids that can hardly spell their own name. Next we have had a nonexistent AD after DRad until now. PH was doing a lousy job with no incentive to be competitive with that outrageous contract and we are still paying him. BG tried with transfers but that doesn' work long term. We have been hamstrung with having to pay off fired coaches for a while. That can free up some money. PJ is not a great recruiter and has missed in hiring D coaches for the type of kids we are getting. It all seems to boil down to recruiting and $ plus we aren't running a semipro developement organisation either. Our kids have to actually do classwork.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
and are debating why we suck in all of the big three men’s sports. I’ve been a GT fan for 30+ years and I have to admit it seems we have hit almost rock bottom in the least three decades for combination of football, basketball, and baseball.
I’m most confident CPJ can right the ship, but no bowl games in 2 of 3 seasons is plain bad. I don’t know what to think of Pastner and BBall, seems scandalous and not sure he will work out. I could easily see us not making the NCAA tourney for the next 4-5 years. Baseball has been stuck in mediocrity for ten years sans a lucky run in ACC tourney. We are stuck like Clemson was with the last years of Jack Legget coaching them, we always joke fire CDH but until that happens I don’t see us winning a regional for a very long time and we used to do it at a pretty good clip.

I have numerous Clemson fans who have also recently asked me what has happened to GT in sports, we seem to be on same level as Weak Forest these days except they have a better baseball team.
Well, I know who I want in a bowl game this year now.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The truth is our entire athletic program with a couple of exceptions is in the dumpster right now. I am very hopeful that TStan can turn it around. I am tired of looking at the ACC standings in the paper and we always seem to be in the bottom third.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA is about the same size as Ga Tech. It's admission standards are generally comparable. They do have a liberal arts dominant curriculum. Not sure about the numbers... but they have a significantly higher number of varsity sports.... & they're very successful in many of them.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
UVA is about the same size as Ga Tech. It's admission standards are generally comparable. They do have a liberal arts dominant curriculum. Not sure about the numbers... but they have a significantly higher number of varsity sports.... & they're very successful in many of them.

It's all about the ZIMA. We as fans should embrace it.

pbox.php

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

We have someone who can compare the programs pretty well on the board. @ilovetheoption

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
As far as Auburn basketball- they're cheaters. . They hire one of the biggest cheaters ever in Bruce Pearl. There's a reason they were in that FBI probe. Guess Person is not gonna roll on Pearl unfortunately. Pearl refuses to cooperate and answer his own university's probe into their basketball program. How did Auburn go from dumpster fire to a contender with a ton of top recruit$$$ so quickly? Guess now that they are atop the SEC in basketball, Auburn's administration will just sweep it all under the rug.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
look its simple. GT is late to the game folks. VERY late to the game. Are there reasons, sure, some legit, some excuses. But the fact remains:

- We were late to the game with a good name sponsor apparel...it is a big impact for programs, things you don't even think about like AAU.
- We are about 7 years behind in football recruiting staff, updates, spend etc. We are just now finally doing things, teams started doing almost a decade ago to invest in their program. But we are flat out behind the curve here.
- In basketball, we were late to the game in the AAU connections primarily due to apparel, but have phenomenal facilities now, and seem to have found a good fit as coach. But the reality is, in many aspects we were behind the curve in modern basketball recruiting and still are behind the curve with staff.

Baseball, I just don't follow enough to offer comments

Bottom line, with the THINGS WE CAN CONTROL we have been behind the curve....and some still are unresolved not even mentioned in this thread, but are enablers to do all the above better

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
We have someone who can compare the programs pretty well on the board. @ilovetheoption
Sadly I come from a position of ignorance here. I actually don't know the first thing about Georgia Tech Athletics outside of football.

I do know that UVA believes STRONGLY in the overall strength of the athletics department as opposed to just succeeding in football and basketball like many schools do. The goal of UVA athletics is to win the Directors Cup, not to win add a Year's Day Bowl or make a final four in men's basketball.

We may never get there (damn stanford), but that's the goal.