Auburn fans have a thread about GT on their board

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
UVA is about the same size as Ga Tech. It's admission standards are generally comparable. They do have a liberal arts dominant curriculum. Not sure about the numbers... but they have a significantly higher number of varsity sports.... & they're very successful in many of them.

Shhhhhh don't tell GT people that. They think we should only be good once every 10 years and everything is fine as long as everyone gets their degree. We just went 5-6 in football, finished with a top 60 class. and people around here act like everything is gonna be fine. These attitudes are very annoying as a diehard GT fan

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
"Being good at sports" is about #5000 on the list of things a major university president should care about. It ain't his job to fix the GTAA.
Um athletics is defeinetly a big part of the institute. This attitude from my fellow GT fans is just aggravating

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Um athletics is defeinetly a big part of the institute. This attitude from my fellow GT fans is just aggravating
Sure athletics are a big part of the institute already. We have them. They are in the ACC. They aren't 1970's gutter tier.

Looks good to me as the President I'll let my AD handle it from here.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
As far as Auburn basketball- they're cheaters. . They hire one of the biggest cheaters ever in Bruce Pearl. There's a reason they were in that FBI probe. Guess Person is not gonna roll on Pearl unfortunately. Pearl refuses to cooperate and answer his own university's probe into their basketball program. How did Auburn go from dumpster fire to a contender with a ton of top recruit$$$ so quickly? Guess now that they are atop the SEC in basketball, Auburn's administration will just sweep it all under the rug.
FWIW, I'd almost bet Auburn is pulling worse **** than Louisville. I'm not sure how any logical Auburn fan doesn't notice how slimey Pearl is.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sadly I come from a position of ignorance here. I actually don't know the first thing about Georgia Tech Athletics outside of football.

I do know that UVA believes STRONGLY in the overall strength of the athletics department as opposed to just succeeding in football and basketball like many schools do. The goal of UVA athletics is to win the Directors Cup, not to win add a Year's Day Bowl or make a final four in men's basketball.

We may never get there (damn stanford), but that's the goal.

Well at least we can all hate Stanford.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Sorry to be the one to tell you but athletics is not the focus of Georgia Tech or the administration on The Hill. Academics will always be the focus at GT and it should be the focus of all colleges and universities. Nowhere on GT’s strategic plan (mission, vision, goals, and objectives) will you find the word “athletics”. The athletics only exists because of the academics.

http://www.news.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/mercury_images/sp_1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Sorry to be the one to tell you but athletics is not the focus of Georgia Tech or the administration on The Hill. Academics will always be the focus at GT and it should be the focus of all colleges and universities. Nowhere on GT’s strategic plan (mission, vision, goals, and objectives) will you find the word “athletics”. The athletics only exists because of the academics.

http://www.news.gatech.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/mercury_images/sp_1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never said it was the focus so "sorry" bout that. The president should be a proponent of athletics not a road block.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Shhhhhh don't tell GT people that. They think we should only be good once every 10 years and everything is fine as long as everyone gets their degree. We just went 5-6 in football, finished with a top 60 class. and people around here act like everything is gonna be fine. These attitudes are very annoying as a diehard GT fan
I agree everything isn’t “fine” but I’ll also say, we can’t say it won’t be fine. We are getting new locker rooms, new staff, and new uniforms which should help with recruiting. We also could have easily won 8 games last year with better kicking, so we aren’t as far off as you might think. One more thing I will add, I 100 percent believe if the recruiting rankings, but only to an extent. I think average star is way better to look at since number of recruits can change a class ranking drastically. Outside of the top 15 or so in recruiting, there really isn’t a big difference in teams imo. We are .25 stars away from teams in the mid 20’s in recruiting, that could literally be the difference in just 1 player. Another poster pointed this out, Clemson has around 6 5 stars while ND has 0, yet ND is ranked higher. I’d take Clemson’s class over ND any day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Why is the 4th year always conveniently left when making the football argument?
Fair question, but honestly we really should be looking at every year since 2008...three losing seasons, two great seasons, a couple good seasons, a few mediocre seasons.

Someone else asked if we’d rather be 11-3 one year and 3-9 the next or 7-5 both. I’ll take the former, but man that sucks...I’d much rather have 11-3, 6-6. Several years worse than .500 starts to feel not good enough...even if we get the occasional awesome season. We should strive for better than that

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't get defensive about their comments. They are totally correct. We should be better in athletics then we are. I often feel Buzz Peterson is an impediment to our athletic program.

as another poster correctly pointed out. we have done better over a similar period then they have so ... the real question is... given their sec advantages wth is THEIR problem

There's a million reasons for why we aren't great at football, but I honestly don't know why we are terrible at basketball. We have amazing facilities, our last AD was specifically brought in because he was a basketball guy, and we pay out the butt in coaching salaries. We also provide impermissible benefits to players and our assistant coaches cheat. Yet we lose to Grambling at home.

Baseball is easy, the game has passed CDH by. All us beesball fans know it, whether we admit it or not. He'll retire on his own accord and has earned it, and we better make a killer hire. We recruit well, put guys in the bigs, have great facilities, and we have name recognition in the sport so I don't see us being mediocre after we get new blood in.
Baseball is easy, the game has passed CDH by. All us beesball fans know it, whether we admit it or not. He'll retire on his own accord and has earned it, and we better make a killer hire.
So when is he going to retire? IMO it's past time. We can't survive many more years like the past 5, injuries or no injuries.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
A bad year at Tech will always be rough but imho they are still better than having good years at other schools. Tech football players are not perfect but they hold themselves to a higher standard in many areas compared with the “just win baby” factory schools. While I hope for the day when Tech wins against the dwags most of the time it would be much more devastating to me if the players recruited dropped in character to their level in order to achieve that goal.
A good friend of mine is a die-hard FSU fan but I could never support a team with the constant character issues that they seem to have. College teams need to aspire to more than just maximizing the number of wins on Saturday. By supporting Tech I feel that I am supporting what is best about college athletics.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I agree everything isn’t “fine” but I’ll also say, we can’t say it won’t be fine. We are getting new locker rooms, new staff, and new uniforms which should help with recruiting. We also could have easily won 8 games last year with better kicking, so we aren’t as far off as you might think. One more thing I will add, I 100 percent believe if the recruiting rankings, but only to an extent. I think average star is way better to look at since number of recruits can change a class ranking drastically. Outside of the top 15 or so in recruiting, there really isn’t a big difference in teams imo. We are .25 stars away from teams in the mid 20’s in recruiting, that could literally be the difference in just 1 player. Another poster pointed this out, Clemson has around 6 5 stars while ND has 0, yet ND is ranked higher. I’d take Clemson’s class over ND any day.
I agree with a lot of that