Auburn fans have a thread about GT on their board

crut

Helluva Engineer
Basketball is on the rise, for those not in the know, not seeing that yet is understandable. The baseball program has been absolutely ravaged by injuries to key players the last 5 years, but otherwise is a solid program. Football has been a roller coaster the last 4 years but overall we are an above average program. Don't listen to people who don't know what they are talking about.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
College athletics and college academics are diverging across the nation and have been for a long time. They are basically two separate entities with just a name in common. Not so at GT. In fact, we have embraced a strategy that brings the two together even more so than in our recent past. That strategy may work because there are enough "scholar athletes" around the country to build a great program. The question is can we identify and sign enough of them regularly with our meager resources?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
TStan has really improved my impression of the GTAA. When MBob was there, he didn't reach out to small/medium donors. From what I understand he didn't reach out to large donors, and actually prevented some large donors from donating money. He didn't inspire fans. His radio interviews were total nonsense.

TStan has some programs that have tried to engage smaller donors. He has reached out to and brought back some larger donors. When I listen to him I feel much better about GT athletics. Even when he says there are problems or issues, he gives the impression that all of those things are being considered.

When the AD(as in the previous one): Is infrequently present in the offices, doesn't talk with the coaches, doesn't talk with the staff, tells large donors that their donation will not be accepted, and does not engage with fans: I would expect it to take a few years to get things back on track. I thing TStan has done an outstanding job of accomplishing much of the GTAA rejuvenation in a shorter period.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Football is fine to me. Two 9+ win seasons in the last four years with a major bowl win isn't a bad string. We need another good year this year though. Basketball still blows my mind. We haven't been ranked in the top 25 in 8 years and we are never close to making the tournament. I know some believe we are on the rise but ill believe it when I see it. We have been bad for far too long.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
GT has a more industrial man's background and not nearly the appeal or history with the social elites like UVA, UNC, Stanford, Notre Dame, Duke, Vandy, etc. that might be compared to us as D1 academic-forward programs. Our athletics are much more about the major men's sports than theirs, although we are certainly not off the map in lots of other athletic programs. Our curriculum is also not comparable.

Despite that, we can and certainly need to do better. We need to do a better job of being us. I don't think it is particularly worthwhile to make comparisons. Our history, academic focus, and fan appeal are significantly different from these peers. We need to highlight that instead of try and compensate for it.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I hate to say it, but Auburn fans are correct.... WE SUCK

Football: No bowl games in 2 of 3 seasons is historically unlike Tech, we use to be a 7 win team going to a bowl game every year, not anymore.
Basketball: Pastner is not the answer.... He is about the same as CBG, maybe a lil better recruiter so one day we might be able to win 10 ACC Games...If he does not end up in jail for sexual misconduct...
Baseball: Might be our best hope....

I would love for us to get better in all three...but I will take another ACC Championship football loss and OB appearance..

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
"Being good at sports" is about #5000 on the list of things a major university president should care about. It ain't his job to fix the GTAA.
I don't think it is quite that low. The problem is that, while college presidents do have to pay some attention to sports, that simply isn't the main thing they need to do. The technical core of a university is its teaching and research. That has to be the main focus of college administration. Sports are important, but not that important. That's why I'm so encouraged with the response to the recruiting initiative. A lot of what's needed has to come from the fans. As long as president's make the right noises and show up to glad hand the alums, that's all that's really necessary.

My favorite quote from a college president was from Clark Kerr when he was president of UC. After a Broad of Regents meeting, one of the members asked him, "Clark, what is college for?" Without batting an eye, Kerr replied, "Sex for the students, sports for the alumni, and parking for the faculty." That's pretty much how they have look at it.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow

Football: No bowl games in 2 of 3 seasons is historically unlike Tech, we use to be a 7 win team going to a bowl game every year, not anymore.
Basketball: Pastner is not the answer.... He is about the same as CBG, maybe a lil better recruiter so one day we might be able to win 10 ACC Games...If he does not end up in jail for sexual misconduct...

I would love for us to get better in all three...but I will take another ACC Championship football loss and OB appearance..

On football, which is better?
7-5 for 4 years, or 11-3/3-9/9-4/5-6?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
There's a million reasons for why we aren't great at football, but I honestly don't know why we are terrible at basketball. We have amazing facilities, our last AD was specifically brought in because he was a basketball guy, and we pay out the butt in coaching salaries. We also provide impermissible benefits to players and our assistant coaches cheat. Yet we lose to Grambling at home.

Baseball is easy, the game has passed CDH by. All us beesball fans know it, whether we admit it or not. He'll retire on his own accord and has earned it, and we better make a killer hire. We recruit well, put guys in the bigs, have great facilities, and we have name recognition in the sport so I don't see us being mediocre after we get new blood in.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
UVA is about the same size as Ga Tech. It's admission standards are generally comparable. They do have a liberal arts dominant curriculum. Not sure about the numbers... but they have a significantly higher number of varsity sports.... & they're very successful in many of them.

And they have never won crap in football and we want to compare ourselves to them. Dumbing down will kill you.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
And they have never won crap in football and we want to compare ourselves to them. Dumbing down will kill you.
I don't understand what you mean? Doing well in non-football sports is 'dumbing down'? It isn't a zero sum game. You can do well in football AND everything else at the same time...theoretically. Simply comparing/commenting on UVA doesn't mean I think we should be UVA... I think there are enough similarities (I mentioned) that it is interesting to see the differences; and speculate on why.

My like/love/respect for Ga Tech and other programs isn't like a pie that I have to cut up and distribute around. Pointing out something positive about UVA's athletic department isn't 'cheating' on my Jackets!! I consider Ga Tech unique. Any success they have athletically I treasure. Ga Tech must walk a razor thin line to put a quality product on the field... particularly in football. When it all works and the Jackets win big.. there is nothing sweeter. (See 1990!!)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

J/w why only use 3 games to give our record? I would atleast say use 4 games, after all the seniors from this past year were also on the team in 2014.