Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Never taken an extra sip of coke at the fountain machine huh? Don't accept compromise and start down that slippery slope sir. ;)

The fountain machines here in Augusta are free refills.

In all seriousness, every single person does dishonest things from time to time. The difference is that when I do I feel shame and try not to repeat them. I don't actively advocate to use dishonest practices for personal gain.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s something we’re gonna have to consider. We’ve literally already crossed the line that CPJ tried toe the last decade. If people don’t leave we’re gonna have to make them leave. If we’re gonna demand better recruiting we have to live with the consequences.

nobody's degree will decrease in value if our football team gets better from a few relaxed recruits. Nor will our academic rankings plummet due to that. Thinking otherwise is laughable.

My diploma survived Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury on campus. So did all of yours.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Lol. Strawman much?
I figured a dose of reality in this thread (among other recent ones) was very much needed, and to quote all the replies to show the relevancy is beyond my patience. Not to mention, I've lost any hope that there would be any semblance of honest, logical discussion, so it (and this) seems like good posts to serve as an exit.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
nobody's degree will decrease in value if our football team gets better from a few relaxed recruits. Nor will our academic rankings plummet due to that. Thinking otherwise is laughable.

My diploma survived Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury on campus. So did all of yours.

The line I’m referring to is processing players currently on the team. We’re at ~88 scholarships right now. Meaning unless 3+ players decide to leave on their own accord, we have to walk up to a kid(s) and tell him he is no longer a scholarship athlete for GT because we overbooked. That’s ****ty.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You tell your wife, what you really think all the time? How’s that working out for you?

Can't say for him but for me :

th

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
It's never silly to insist on integrity and honesty. Period. To do less is to accept compromise, which is a very slippery slope indeed.

Again, I am wondering why you are wanting to hurt GT by insisting that we adhere to the rules of a corrupt system? To me that sounds like you are not espousing integrity or honesty. You are just espousing blindly following the rules. I personally feel like following those rules in order to make sure GT and/or the player gets hurt is the compromise that you are accepting. I personally don't see the integrity in following the corrupt system's rules. I see the integrity in doing the right thing for the player and GT since the rules are those of the corrupt organization.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Again, I am wondering why you are wanting to hurt GT by insisting that we adhere to the rules of a corrupt system? To me that sounds like you are not espousing integrity or honesty. You are just espousing blindly following the rules even if they make no sense. I personally feel like following those rules in order to make sure GT and/or the player gets hurt is the compromise that you are accepting. I personally don't see the integrity in following the corrupt system's rules. I see the integrity in doing the right thing for the player and GT since the rules are those of the corrupt organization.
It boils down to scholarship limits, are they right? If you say yes, the rule makes sense. Besides, when has the NCAA ever let GT slide on rule breaking? Any hint of another investigation would send the hill on the warpath.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Again, I am wondering why you are wanting to hurt GT by insisting that we adhere to the rules of a corrupt system? To me that sounds like you are not espousing integrity or honesty. You are just espousing blindly following the rules. I personally feel like following those rules in order to make sure GT and/or the player gets hurt is the compromise that you are accepting. I personally don't see the integrity in following the corrupt system's rules. I see the integrity in doing the right thing for the player and GT since the rules are those of the corrupt organization.

Your definition of integrity needs work.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
The line I’m referring to is processing players currently on the team. We’re at ~88 scholarships right now. Meaning unless 3+ players decide to leave on their own accord, we have to walk up to a kid(s) and tell him he is no longer a scholarship athlete for GT because we overbooked. That’s ****ty.

I agree with that- sorry I misunderstood. I don't think it will come to that though.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
Disagree completely. I have taken great pride in GT not being just another school in search of a NC. The fact that we treat student athletes as students first is of great satisfaction. GTAA starts treating them as another piece of meat and I will move on.

I'm never turning my back on my alma mater.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Please, sir.

Do you actually know how players are dropped? How players that are not making mistakes are suddenly, as 19 or 20 y.o., scrutinized and pressured by a cjg, cll, ccg cjt? Things changed after CBD retired.

Dropped - no.

Wanted to be made to leave before sundown - yes.

I see nothing wrong with honestly letting a player know that he doesn't fit into plans and he won't be getting much playing time. Being honest about that is as much to his benefit as the coach's. But no one has been told to leave. It's still up to the player, as far as I can gather. That's the way it should be, and that's the way it is.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

Like it or not college football is a big $ business. Coaches are paid a tremendous amount of $ to win. Every business that has management turnover must have the opportunity to put in their team to succeed. Players must understand this life lesson, and step up move aside. I agree with the education part, that was a contract you can't break.
This!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk