Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
GTAA does that and support for the program will plummet. Only the idiots that want to place football above academics will welcome that mentality.

Sorry, this is not reality. I don’t like it but some tough decisions have to be made. They will still be have their education paid for, but it’s insane to keep guys who been on the roster for 3 yrs and have yet to contribute on Special teams and a kicker who can’t consistently hit 40yd FGs

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We start acting like Bama, and I will no longer be a fan.

If I'm counting right:
1) we currently have 91 guys on scholarship. That means we'll have to lose 6 guys by Fall.

2) we have 11 RS Srs and 4 Srs (15 completing eligibility) for this year.​

Now, I'm not sure why guys would be going through Spring practice if they already planned on leaving. However, guys may consider leaving if they're not going to get playing time, but lots of our guys were sold on not only football but a GT degree.

If the 6 guys come from most likely to have their degrees, the RS Srs, that will only decrease the number of natural openings for next year.

Right now, people are talking about a top 25 signing class for 2020 which is really hard to do without signing 25. That means that we'll have to lose even more through irregular attrition next year.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

LibertyTurns

Banned
GTAA does that and support for the program will plummet. Only the idiots that want to place football above academics will welcome that mentality.
My support for the program is only the last 4 decades so I missed the Dodd years where we had immense fan support. I kinda chuckle when we’re fearful of losing some “pure as the driven snow” fans. Bammer, mutt, Clemp, nobody who’s winning cares whether or not Johnny got an A or a D in calculus or if he took it at all, nor do they really care whether or not we medical exempt noncontributors or have them take roster spots someone else that has the potential to compete could use, etc. If they did, the stands would be packed every weekend and our media guide would read like 85 transcripts instead of football stats/info.

GT’s elite reputation is not in danger same as people aren’t turning away USC Doctors or Business Majors because some Hollywood loser bribed her daughter into college, scoffing at hiring Yalie’s because some rich douchebag father bought some coach’s house and his son didn’t really know how to fence, nor do they pass on Dookies because Zion’s mother got money for fake consulting. UNC fans are not bothered one bit they ran fake classes for decades. Mutt fans don’t care how many times their idiots get thrown into jail nor that they have an atrocious academic record but they sure as hell care they can't win a title.

GT either wants to win or they don’t. If we do, we need to take the we can’t shackles off and start playing by the same rules as our competition. To think we’ll get different results doing otherwise is commendable but not rationale if your goal is to win consistently at a high level.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
Sorry, this is not reality. I don’t like it but some tough decisions have to be made. They will still be have their education paid for, but it’s insane to keep guys who been on the roster for 3 yrs and have yet to contribute on Special teams and a kicker who can’t consistently hit 40yd FGs
Like it or not college football is a big $ business. Coaches are paid a tremendous amount of $ to win. Every business that has management turnover must have the opportunity to put in their team to succeed. Players must understand this life lesson, and step up move aside. I agree with the education part, that was a contract you can't break.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer

I think the key here is, as you say, that if the kids who are just not going to contribute still want to get that GT degree we all love to tout then GT will find a way to fund it. But that doesn't necessarily mean they will remain on the football team.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer

Well...... it's happening. There needs to be a new crop of GT fans to take the reigns anyhow. Not trying to sound like a dirtbag, but a few dozen football players arent going to ruin GT academics. There are plenty of brilliant scientists on campus right now that will back me up on that. I dont care what the hell the GTAA does, I wanna win championships and beat Georgia by 40 on a regular basis and my family, who have been season tix holders for almost 4 decades want the same thing. sorry not sorry...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
At least since Dodd, Tech has never dropped a kid from scholarship, no matter what. I don't look for that to change.

But I am sure guys have "moved on" after honest conversations with past coaches. Its not like anyone comes out and says, yeah we processed so and so. It just may be that "moving on" happens with more frequency going forward.

LibertyTurns

Banned
At least since Dodd, Tech has never dropped a kid from scholarship, no matter what. I don't look for that to change.
Medical exemptions pay for the academic scholarship and it doesn’t count against the NCAA 85 scholarship limit. It’s how Bammer, etc carry 125+ on scholarship despite the fact the limit is 85. It’s about time GT woke up & realized it’s not 1955 any more.

But I am sure guys have "moved on" after honest conversations with past coaches. Its not like anyone comes out and says, yeah we processed so and so. It just may be that "moving on" happens with more frequency going forward.
Moving on is one thing; dropping a kid from scholarship is quite another. I am sure coaches have told players they would not see much or any action, and that it might be better for them to go elsewhere, but if the kid disagreed, then no coach at Tech has ever dropped him to free up a space.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Moving on is one thing; dropping a kid from scholarship is quite another. I am sure coaches have told players they would not see much or any action, and that it might be better for them to go elsewhere, but if the kid disagreed, then no coach at Tech has ever dropped him to free up a space.

I think these are tough conversations because no one is ever really clear about how these things are actually handled. I would think it would be really rare for a player to insist on remaining under the circumstances you describe. But who knows?

In the end, I trust the staff to do right by our SAs to the best of their ability. At the same time, I wouldn't want to hold us to an unrealistic ideal that hurts our ability to compete at the D1 level.

Animal02

Banned
My support for the program is only the last 4 decades so I missed the Dodd years where we had immense fan support. I kinda chuckle when we’re fearful of losing some “pure as the driven snow” fans. Bammer, mutt, Clemp, nobody who’s winning cares whether or not Johnny got an A or a D in calculus or if he took it at all, nor do they really care whether or not we medical exempt noncontributors or have them take roster spots someone else that has the potential to compete could use, etc. If they did, the stands would be packed every weekend and our media guide would read like 85 transcripts instead of football stats/info.

GT’s elite reputation is not in danger same as people aren’t turning away USC Doctors or Business Majors because some Hollywood loser bribed her daughter into college, scoffing at hiring Yalie’s because some rich douchebag father bought some coach’s house and his son didn’t really know how to fence, nor do they pass on Dookies because Zion’s mother got money for fake consulting. UNC fans are not bothered one bit they ran fake classes for decades. Mutt fans don’t care how many times their idiots get thrown into jail nor that they have an atrocious academic record but they sure as hell care they can't win a title.

GT either wants to win or they don’t. If we do, we need to take the we can’t shackles off and start playing by the same rules as our competition. To think we’ll get different results doing otherwise is commendable but not rationale if your goal is to win consistently at a high level.
Disagree completely. I have taken great pride in GT not being just another school in search of a NC. The fact that we treat student athletes as students first is of great satisfaction. GTAA starts treating them as another piece of meat and I will move on.