Attrition and Scholarship Limits

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
The only way is through medical scholarship. Those are granted to SA's who injure themselves so severely they can no longer play football. Jaylend Ratliffe is an example of a GT SA on medical scholly. Now Bama has been known to give these to uninjured players with trumped up injuries to free up scholarships but it is completely unethical. I don't want us to do it.

Just out of curiosity, why not? I mean other than it's dishonest. I'm not suggesting that's not enough of a reason but considering how crappy the NCAA has treated GT over the years why shouldn't GT take advantage of the rules being written in such a way that a kid benefits and GT benefits? If the system is corrupt I have less trouble trying to work that system than if the system was genuinely caring and honest. But the NCAA is neither.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
As for those begging for Wells to get a scholly... yes, he had a great year, and in a perfect world we'd be able to get him on scholly... but believe me when I say the new staff isn't going to make that a priority. The kid is a good student, and is likely getting Hope.. I'm sure he's fine even if he doesn't get put on scholly.

If we get to the fall and have an opening, I'd guess they'd consider him as one that would get it... just as previous staff has done with kids when there is an open scholly in August.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
He’s not the only transfer we are going to add, and we will for sure lose some to the transfer portal as well. We are over stocked with the former ABs, also lots of RBs and CBs. People are gonna want playing time.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
He’s not the only transfer we are going to add, and we will for sure lose some to the transfer portal as well. We are over stocked with the former ABs, also lots of RBs and CBs. People are gonna want playing time.

Yep. We will have a bunch of guys moving on, the current transfer rules are really loosening up to allow player mobility. Being +3 right now is not even close to a concern; we’ll have at least 6 moving on, maybe more. And we’ll be bringing in a few more transfers to GT

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, why not? I mean other than it's dishonest. I'm not suggesting that's not enough of a reason but considering how crappy the NCAA has treated GT over the years why shouldn't GT take advantage of the rules being written in such a way that a kid benefits and GT benefits? If the system is corrupt I have less trouble trying to work that system than if the system was genuinely caring and honest. But the NCAA is neither.

Integrity is a gift you give yourself.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GTAA does that and support for the program will plummet. Only the idiots that want to place football above academics will welcome that mentality.

So if a S/A is put on a medical, they will not get the same educational opportunities as another S/A ?

Besides, all this talk is just cursing the dark.

We have, for quite a while it seems, never given out our full compliment of ships, and we suddenly have enough to give out do to medical, transfers or players leaving.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Integrity is a gift you give yourself.

With all due respect it's silly to put that stake in the ground when you're dealing with an organization that isn't looking out for us or the kids. There are three parties involved here. The NCAA, GT, and the athlete. Is there a reason you want GT to be the one hurt instead of the NCAA? (and BTW the NCAA doesn't get hurt in this, either way).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Yep. We will have a bunch of guys moving on, the current transfer rules are really loosening up to allow player mobility. Being +3 right now is not even close to a concern; we’ll have at least 6 moving on, maybe more. And we’ll be bringing in a few more transfers to GT
I guess I'm old and out of touch, if y'all are hearing 6 moving on where are you hearing this information ? not wanting names just where y'all are hearing it or is it just a guess?

LibertyTurns

Banned
Disagree completely. I have taken great pride in GT not being just another school in search of a NC. The fact that we treat student athletes as students first is of great satisfaction. GTAA starts treating them as another piece of meat and I will move on.
I was just a regular student. Would have loved to have been treated like a piece of meat. Look to the left, look to the right, look like a deer in the headlights during Finals week. Good ole Ma Tech and its love for undergrads.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
At least since Dodd, Tech has never dropped a kid from scholarship, no matter what. I don't look for that to change.

Please, sir.

Do you actually know how players are dropped? How players that are not making mistakes are suddenly, as 19 or 20 y.o., scrutinized and pressured by a cjg, cll, ccg cjt? Things changed after CBD retired.

Dropped - no.

Wanted to be made to leave before sundown - yes.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I would imagine that we're going to see some of our DBs leave. We have recruited a fair number of highly rated guys at that position over the years and the current spots seem to be occupied by some of the younger players. Pure speculation, but some of those not gaining daily Twitter shoutouts will likely leave hoping to find success elsewhere. Regardless of where they come from, we'll see enough attrition. We always do.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I leave for some meeting and get back to find we are no longer arguing about the fictional past, we are arguing about fearful future predictions.

And any body that thinks he will be like Alabama is off the deep end. We can recruit our selves some great players but not on a scale of the factories. The best in game coaching mind just retired from gt.

We have to beat Duke, then by miami, then be competitive w Clemson and uga.

AE said it best - we have some trouble this year but next year will be worse.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Either Lucas, tobias, or James will leave this year I believe. If tobias or James beat Lucas for the starting position I believe he leaves as I would support that. He deserves a chance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Malloy, and a 75% of the remaining A backs leave. We should hit 6 with just those.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Disagree completely. I have taken great pride in GT not being just another school in search of a NC. The fact that we treat student athletes as students first is of great satisfaction. GTAA starts treating them as another piece of meat and I will move on.
I was just a regular student. Would have loved to have been treated like a piece of meat. Look to the left, look to the right, look like a deer in the headlights during Finals week. Good ole Ma Tech and its love for undergrads.
I was also a student, and it's obvious a lot of posters here are not. GT is far closer to shutting down football versus transforming into a factory where football calls the shots. Money, faculty, student, alumni, parents, politicians, reputation, you name it; football has nothing on academics at GT.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
With all due respect it's silly to put that stake in the ground when you're dealing with an organization that isn't looking out for us or the kids. There are three parties involved here. The NCAA, GT, and the athlete. Is there a reason you want GT to be the one hurt instead of the NCAA? (and BTW the NCAA doesn't get hurt in this, either way).

It's never silly to insist on integrity and honesty. Period. To do less is to accept compromise, which is a very slippery slope indeed.