Attrition and Scholarship Limits

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
The line I’m referring to is processing players currently on the team. We’re at ~88 scholarships right now. Meaning unless 3+ players decide to leave on their own accord, we have to walk up to a kid(s) and tell him he is no longer a scholarship athlete for GT because we overbooked. That’s ****ty.
Scholarships should be committed to 4 years max on the front end. After that, it should be Tech's discretion based on the player's performance. There is nothing wrong with counseling a player after a year or 2 or 3 what his outlook is with the team and let him make his own decision based on the facts. If he decides to stay all 4 years, fine. We find a way to meet our 4 year scholly commitment by either keeping him on the team, giving him a medical scholly, or some other means that does not conflict with the NCAA rules. It is crazy not to take advantage of any NCAA rule that can benefit both our team and our SA's at the same time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
And I would say the same to you. And at that I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes. We will definitely be disagreeing. Your quote was thus:
I personally feel like following those rules in order to make sure GT and/or the player gets hurt is the compromise that you are accepting.

So, are you arguing that we should be perfectly fine processing players off our team because they might not be what we hoped they would? How does this not "hurt the player in a corrupt system?"

It would seem that that would be even more detrimental to the student athlete in question.

Integrity is doing the right thing NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES. Honoring our scholarship commitments to our student athletes is the right thing.

Your definition of integrity needs work.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Yes. We will definitely be disagreeing. Your quote was thus:

So, are you arguing that we should be perfectly fine processing players off our team because they might not be what we hoped they would? How does this not "hurt the player in a corrupt system?"

It would seem that that would be even more detrimental to the student athlete in question.

Integrity is doing the right thing NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES. Honoring our scholarship commitments to our student athletes is the right thing.

Your definition of integrity needs work.

Like I said. We will have to agree to disagree since I think there’s little integrity holding the athletes hostage to a corrupt system. You’re also operating under a false premise that I’m suggesting not honoring our educational commitment to the athletes. We don’t guarantee they will play. So making sure they have a scholarship to finish their degree is honoring our agreement with them. But you keep to your guns about how it’s best to screw GT and/or the athletes. I am politely disagreeing with you and have spent more time than your argument warrants. I’m all for the athletes and GT. Have a good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Scholarships should be committed to 4 years max on the front end. After that, it should be Tech's discretion based on the player's performance. There is nothing wrong with counseling a player after a year or 2 or 3 what his outlook is with the team and let him make his own decision based on the facts. If he decides to stay all 4 years, fine. We find a way to meet our 4 year scholly commitment by either keeping him on the team, giving him a medical scholly, or some other means that does not conflict with the NCAA rules. It is crazy not to take advantage of any NCAA rule that can benefit both our team and our SA's at the same time.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

This is exactly what I’ve been trying to say (though you did it well and I did it poorly). Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned
Being in charge comes with immense responsibility and sometimes not all the news is good.

Here’s some food for thought as I’m assuming some of not most are in some sort of leadership position career wise in their lives:

a. Students (not just athletes) agree to come to GT on scholarship all the time. Get bad grades, you lose your money- Hope, Grants, etc.

b. You recruit a person from another company. They leave their good high paying job to work for you. They don’t perform. It’s 3 months in, they moved & sold their old house and bought a new one, wife quit her job to relocate, kids changed schools, etc. What do you do?

c. Athlete comes to GT. Says I can compete. Doesn’t work out hard enough, fails to learn his role, etc. Do you carry him 3 more years?

d. You buy a high priced product. Seller says it’s awesome, but damn thing breaks every 5 mins. Unit is advertised to do X, but doesn’t quite make it ever. You had a deal, right?

Life’s full of choices. At some point people need to grow up because the world cannot provide a worry free safety net for all your shortcomings.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
nobody's degree will decrease in value if our football team gets better from a few relaxed recruits. Nor will our academic rankings plummet due to that. Thinking otherwise is laughable.

My diploma survived Kenny Anderson and Stephon Marbury on campus. So did all of yours.
And Reggie Ball for the younger of us on the board.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sorry, continuation of the above. This general topic comes up in the lounge all the time. It boils down to this:

Do I owe you an opportunity or an outcome?

Pretty simple question on the face of it but our country is massively divided by this one basic element which defines the lens thru which people assess and decide. It even consumes football message board discussions. Think about it.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Given Collin's commitment to building relationships and a "family" here. I'm not at all concerned he's ever going to treat his players with anything but respect. He's not trying to build a factory here. He's trying to build an alternative to a factory. Where the best of the best can come to be part of something special.

Given the way Collins handled the commits that were in place when he arrived last year (and he could have dropped as many as he wanted like UL). I know TStan had already said they'd be honored. But if CGC was that kind of person, he could have told them not to come, they'd never play, etc and gotten them to drop. They all stayed committed.

Given the way Collins has embraced the student athletes already on the team. Go listen to what Nate had to say about CGC and the transition (KQs video cut those comments off) https://player.fm/series/the-hive-at-gojacketscom/nate-cottrell-442019 Nate's a RsSr A-back who (pretty sure) graduates in May. He would be a likely candidate to transfer. But he has nothing but love and respect for the new staff and the way he's been treated.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I trust Coach Collins to handle our roster management in an ethical, honest and respectful way that is best for the team and the players. Whatever that may be.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm still on the fence on this study need someone to push me over one way or the other.

upload_2019-4-8_9-2-39.jpeg

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Given Collin's commitment to building relationships and a "family" here. I'm not at all concerned he's ever going to treat his players with anything but respect. He's not trying to build a factory here. He's trying to build an alternative to a factory. Where the best of the best can come to be part of something special.

Given the way Collins handled the commits that were in place when he arrived last year (and he could have dropped as many as he wanted like UL). I know TStan had already said they'd be honored. But if CGC was that kind of person, he could have told them not to come, they'd never play, etc and gotten them to drop. They all stayed committed.

Given the way Collins has embraced the student athletes already on the team. Go listen to what Nate had to say about CGC and the transition (KQs video cut those comments off) https://player.fm/series/the-hive-at-gojacketscom/nate-cottrell-442019 Nate's a RsSr A-back who (pretty sure) graduates in May. He would be a likely candidate to transfer. But he has nothing but love and respect for the new staff and the way he's been treated.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I trust Coach Collins to handle our roster management in an ethical, honest and respectful way that is best for the team and the players. Whatever that may be.

Good post.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ok one more question There is a 5 star player that is a player you really want and need, his best friend is a 2 star player who you know will not pan out. But the 4 star player has told you he will sign if you offer his friend . What do you do ?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
What positions are the 5-star player and the 4-star player and, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a casual acquaintance and 10 being a BFF, how good are their respective friendships with the same 2-star player?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
What positions are the 5-star player and the 4-star player and, on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being a casual acquaintance and 10 being a BFF, how good are their respective friendships with the same 2-star player?
10 great friends the 5 star player is in the top 10 in the nation the 2 star his friend plays a position you don't need.