Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
1)The Braves apparently won’t go multi-years with Kimbrel, even though any decrease on his fastball late last season is still 2 or 3 mph above where we top out with the current crew(incidentally, they are not consistent in the strike zone). He not only has the makeup, but has learned a little about pitching and placement. We have spent over 9 m. on O’Day, just to make the Brach trade last year, who is with the Cubs, while Darren hasn’t thrown a pitch. Vizcaino cost 4.8 m. Kimbrel reportedly is asking for 15 m., about what the sum of those other two salaries are.
2)Riley needs to play, right now. Yet, Donaldson cost 23 m.(Camargo is even more clutch at the plate). The bullpen cumulatively is under 20 m. They take up 8 roster spots, plus a bevy of almost minimum salaried Gwinnettians who are going up and down on split contracts. So, Josh is costing more than the 14 guys on that specific element of the team.
3)Smoltz, Bowman and other people are talking about the NL East decided by the ‘pens or this one big name closer still out there for the taking who could be a difference maker.

What am I missing, as we are are two games back here in the still early stages of a potential race in April? Snitker talks patience and stay on course. I’m losing some of mine, and is he talking about a golf course?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
1)The Braves apparently won’t go multi-years with Kimbrel, even though any decrease on his fastball late last season is still 2 or 3 mph above where we top out with the current crew(incidentally, they are not consistent in the strike zone). He not only has the makeup, but has learned a little about pitching and placement. We have spent over 9 m. on O’Day, just to make the Brach trade last year, who is with the Cubs, while Darren hasn’t thrown a pitch. Vizcaino cost 4.8 m. Kimbrel reportedly is asking for 15 m., about what the sum of those other two salaries are.
2)Riley needs to play, right now. Yet, Donaldson cost 23 m.(Camargo is even more clutch at the plate). The bullpen cumulatively is under 20 m. They take up 8 roster spots, plus a bevy of almost minimum salaried Gwinnettians who are going up and down on split contracts. So, Josh is costing more than the 14 guys on that specific element of the team.
3)Smoltz, Bowman and other people are talking about the NL East decided by the ‘pens or this one big name closer still out there for the taking who could be a difference maker.

What am I missing, as we are are two games back here in the still early stages of a potential race in April? Snitker talks patience and stay on course. I’m losing some of mine, and is he talking about a golf course?
I disagree with your second point. I'm still not sold on Riley just yet and I want to see Camargo as the third baseman of the future. If the Braves are dead set on Riley being the future, then he needs a full year at Gwinnett which is why I loved the Donaldson signing. I hope Riley does pan out and grows into his potential, but right now, I don't think he is ready.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This is the WORST pitching staff in the history of the major league!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now I believe the WHOLE team is becoming a mess!!

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I disagree with your second point. I'm still not sold on Riley just yet and I want to see Camargo as the third baseman of the future. If the Braves are dead set on Riley being the future, then he needs a full year at Gwinnett which is why I loved the Donaldson signing. I hope Riley does pan out and grows into his potential, but right now, I don't think he is ready.
Camargo is your 3B of the future but you loved the Donaldson signing? We spent 23M on an old 3B that wont put up the numbers that Camargo did in 2/3 of a season in 2018; and for the second straight year we basically told Camargo that we don't think he is a big league starter after grossly outperforming his competition in both his Rookie and Sophomore seasons. If I am Johan, I'd be looking to get out of town.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Camargo is your 3B of the future but you loved the Donaldson signing? We spent 23M on an old 3B that wont put up the numbers that Camargo did in 2/3 of a season in 2018; and for the second straight year we basically told Camargo that we don't think he is a big league starter after grossly outperforming his competition in both his Rookie and Sophomore seasons. If I am Johan, I'd be looking to get out of town.
We spent $23 million for a MVP that is capable of going off for 40 homers and 100+R.B.Is. One year of Camargo strengthening the bench and playing 3-4 times a week is not going to effect his future.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
We spent $23 million for a MVP that is capable of going off for 40 homers and 100+R.B.Is. One year of Camargo strengthening the bench and playing 3-4 times a week is not going to effect his future.

HAHA. Right now he is a strike out machine; but "drawing great walks" is the braves narrative. Would have been great to spend all our FA money on positions of need

THWG

Helluva Engineer
HAHA. Right now he is a strike out machine; but "drawing great walks" is the braves narrative. Would have been great to spend all our FA money on positions of need
Did I say that he would do it? I said that he is capable of it and he is. Dude also has one of the highest exit velocities on the team, but has hit it right at people. Those will start falling. You don't have to like him, but we needed to strengthen the bench and signing Donaldson did that by forcing Camargo into a bench role.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
We had and still have needs that go beyond 3B. Camargo, Riley are ML quality and younger than the incumbent. Pitching, catching, another OF with pop.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
We had and still have needs that go beyond 3B. Camargo, Riley are ML quality and younger than the incumbent. Pitching, catching, another OF with pop.
Pache and Riley won’t be down there for too much longer. Riley before Pache, but the future is bright. I’ve seen it mentioned where Ender might get traded, Acuna to center, and Riley to left just to get his bat in the lineup. It would hurt defensively which isn’t good for a young pitching staff, but Ender is an offensive liability at this point. Pache and acuna will be mainstays in the of long term, and Riley at third after donaldson’s Contract is up. Still not sold on AA making any splash moves this year though, as far as Ender or the pen goes

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Seeing is believing if A.A. spends the money, he has been holding for the trade deadline. Would be selling low on Ender right now. The time would have been during the Winter. He knows to shake up the bullpen. I still think he has to use a few young starters in the back part of the game, when Folty returns in stride.

Milwaukee

Banned
This feels sillier by the day for me. Are we just gonna yo-yo our staff up and down all season every time they don't dominate? Touki had a bad showing so we send him back down? He saved our *** the other day with 6 innings of clinical work. He's one of the best we have, keep him up and let him get better.

Who's running this sh*tshow?