Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
According to Jon Paul Morosi of MLB Network, the Atlanta Braves are considering Keuchel:

"One source said the Braves have continued to monitor the market for Keuchel and other starting pitchers, but the team is wary of surrendering the draft pick required to sign Keuchel. Atlanta's rotation faces some uncertainty, given that Mike Foltynewicz will be unavailable to start the season due to an elbow injury."

Last 3 seasons:
2016 28 Hou AL 9 12 .429 ERA: 4.55
2017 29 HOU AL 14 5 .737 ERA: 2.90
2018 30 HOU AL 12 11 .522 ERA: 3.74

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
According to Jon Paul Morosi of MLB Network, the Atlanta Braves are considering Keuchel:

"One source said the Braves have continued to monitor the market for Keuchel and other starting pitchers, but the team is wary of surrendering the draft pick required to sign Keuchel. Atlanta's rotation faces some uncertainty, given that Mike Foltynewicz will be unavailable to start the season due to an elbow injury."

Last 3 seasons:
2016 28 Hou AL 9 12 .429 ERA: 4.55
2017 29 HOU AL 14 5 .737 ERA: 2.90
2018 30 HOU AL 12 11 .522 ERA: 3.74
This trade in my opinion wont happen because the Braves ownership is too stingy with money and draft picks.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
What makes it a shame Mike, is that we would only have to surrender our third highest draft pick. Keuchel is barely over 30 and is a premier location pitcher who tops out at 90 mph. He eats innings. Speaking of such.....
The Braves may be without their ace until “mid/late April,” per the Athletic’s David O’Brien (via Twitter). Mike Foltynewicz has missed most of Spring Training with a sore elbow after a breakout season. Folty was stellar in 2018 as he went 13-10 with a 2.85 ERA (3.37 FIP) over 183 frames.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Jake; It was great to read of your love of Baseball, in that other thread. You’re the Man!

I hope these young guys are ready, as I’m getting worried. Just because I’m paranoid, doesn’t mean the other 29 Teams are not out to get us!

TODAY: Gio Gonzalez is in Yankees camp, Boland tweets. In all likelihood he’s getting a medical check and otherwise finalizing the agreement.
The deal includes a hefty set of incentives, which helps explain how it came together. Gonzalez would earn $300K per MLB start, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter).
What kept the Braves away from a fairly(by current standards)inexpensive LHSP?

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Buzzbomb ... I read an article about the current Braves Ownership more worried about Profits and Real Estate than World Series rings. You never know how accurate these articles are but it's definitely concerning, especially when they didn't exactly open up the checkbook this offseason.
My Dad was a catcher and played some in the minors, he used to love to tell his old stories. He really liked Skip and we would listen to alot of Braves games on the radio while sipping a few cold ones. My old company in Atlanta had season tickets in Row C at Turner Field on the homeplate side of the Braves dugout. Rarely missed at least one game per homestand. I bleed the Braves about as much as I bleed GT !!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I believe you are on the mark, Jake! Ownership seems to place where we finish as a bonus or last on their priority list. Almost like they give Terry a number on the P. & L.

Cool reading about your Dad, and how you sat on the third row right behind the Braves Brass. I’m sure you know Walter Banks and Damion Carpenter? Ushering that area. It’s easy to see how you got attached to the team!

Soroka got sent to Gwinnett. Gausman and his status is getting even more concerning. Looks like it’s Riley or Duvall for that last roster spot?

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Looks like Max Fried has made the rotation. I can’t see Sam “Suddenly a walk” Freeman, making the sive unit(oops, I mean the Bullpen).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
With $ as the trigger, Atlanta can save 2.2 m. by cutting ties with Adam Duvall in the next week. They will search the waiver wire for a 4th OF or keep Austin Riley.

Also,
The Braves announced Thursday that they’ve signed right-hander Josh Tomlin to a minor league contract. He’ll be in Major League camp for the remainder of Spring Training and add some depth to a pitching staff that is currently dealing with numerous injuries both in the rotation and in the bullpen. Tomlin, an SSG Baseball client, opted out of a minor league deal with the Brewers yesterday. Had a rough 2018 season. They call it trying to find another Anibel Sanchez type. We know it as scraping the bargain basement.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
With $ as the trigger, Atlanta can save 2.2 m. by cutting ties with Adam Duvall in the next week. They will search the waiver wire for a 4th OF or keep Austin Riley.

Also,
The Braves announced Thursday that they’ve signed right-hander Josh Tomlin to a minor league contract. He’ll be in Major League camp for the remainder of Spring Training and add some depth to a pitching staff that is currently dealing with numerous injuries both in the rotation and in the bullpen. Tomlin, an SSG Baseball client, opted out of a minor league deal with the Brewers yesterday. Had a rough 2018 season. They call it trying to find another Anibel Sanchez type. We know it as scraping the bargain basement.
I hate that they Braves skinflint ownership tries to get by on the cheap:mad:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
It is disappointing, especially when only half of the 30 teams might need a closer because they don’t have an adequate one or add a top reliever thinking they have a chance to contend this year. Therefore, the Braves are content waiting until June, so they won’t lose the 60th pick in the Amateur Draft. Most likely a team in the need or want, adds a year on to a bid and could land Kimbrel.

Who do you want in the leadoff, cleanup spot?
A)Ender Inciarte bats first, Acuna fourth.
B)Ronald Acuna leads off, Markakis hits cleanup.
C)Some other combination.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Acuna really excelled in the leadoff spot last season, but I think we will need to drop him down because of his power potential to drive in runs ...
Ender-Albies-Acuna-Freeman-Donaldson-Markakis-McCann-Swanson ... that really looks good on paper to me !!
I hope the hitting will be good this season but i think the pitching will limit the Braves to 82-84 wins.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I hope the hitting will be good this season but i think the pitching will limit the Braves to 82-84 wins.

Yes, I totally agree ... I'm not a Viszciano (sp) fan, who is starting out the season as our closer and as I said before Julio as our Opening Day starter is concerning ??
We need Folty back soon and Newcomb needs to get his control problem fixed in a hurry !!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I like the lineup Jake presented, up above. Love the balance.
Donaldson told the media he wants to hit second and Snitker wants Freddie third.
Personally, it’s more about Acuna getting more mileage out of those round-trippers, as in RBI’s. Ender is due to rebound and he did come alive in the second half of 2018.
I’d rather drop Markakis down to the fifth or sixth slot.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I like the lineup Jake presented, up above. Love the balance.
Donaldson told the media he wants to hit second and Snitker wants Freddie third.
Personally, it’s more about Acuna getting more mileage out of those round-trippers, as in RBI’s. Ender is due to rebound and he did come alive in the second half of 2018.
I’d rather drop Markakis down to the fifth or sixth slot.
Markakis is the perfect #5 hitter. Gap to gap power, works the count, and makes a ton of contact.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Jake has Markakis 6th, I’m good with 5th in the order too! He has the lineup staggered with righty/lefty which is nice. I love how he dropped Acuna down to third(our reasoning was the same, capitalizing on power for more RBI’s). If Freddie doesn’t want to hit cleanup, and it’s debatable should he be allowed to dictate that to Snitker since he’s been loyal/team player as even trying to play 3B for Atlanta in the past, I’m o.k. swapping he and Acuna in the lineup in which Jake gave us.

Would you guys go for this order?
1)Inciarte, 2)Donaldson, 3)Freeman, 4)Acuna, 5)Markakis, 6)Albies, 7)Swanson or Camargo, 8)McCann/Flowers, 9)Pitcher.

I wish Donaldson would go for 6th in the order, although for his 23m. he wants to be happy batting second. Another one of those debates on who is the Manager in this day & age?

We need to pickup a guy to replace Duda for DH, when that comes up vs. A.L. in road games. Johan and Culberson are good swing around the diamond types, however when they give a starter a day off-we need a power guy for that potential three run homer off the bench or booming double to clear the bases. Shouldn’t count on the back up catcher being a PH, since we most likely break camp with only two backstops.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Jake has Markakis 6th, I’m good with 5th in the order too! He has the lineup staggered with righty/lefty which is nice. I love how he dropped Acuna down to third(our reasoning was the same, capitalizing on power for more RBI’s). If Freddie doesn’t want to hit cleanup, and it’s debatable should he be allowed to dictate that to Snitker since he’s been loyal/team player as even trying to play 3B for Atlanta in the past, I’m o.k. swapping he and Acuna in the lineup in which Jake gave us.

Would you guys go for this order?
1)Inciarte, 2)Donaldson, 3)Freeman, 4)Acuna, 5)Markakis, 6)Albies, 7)Swanson or Camargo, 8)McCann/Flowers, 9)Pitcher.

I wish Donaldson would go for 6th in the order, although for his 23m. he wants to be happy batting second. Another one of those debates on who is the Manager in this day & age?

We need to pickup a guy to replace Duda for DH, when that comes up vs. A.L. in road games. Johan and Culberson are good swing around the diamond types, however when they give a starter a day off-we need a power guy for that potential three run homer off the bench or booming double to clear the bases. Shouldn’t count on the back up catcher being a PH, since we most likely break camp with only two backstops.
The lineup you listed is the best one. I would put McCann/Flowers in front of Swanson though.