Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
From the Liberty Media CEO:
“I think the Atlanta management knows they have capacity to do more and are looking for the right deal,” Maffei said of the club’s present stance with regard to spending.

Does it even matter if he’s talking about trades or referring to Free Agents?
Sorry if it seems I’m down on our acquisitions or lack there of after Josh Donaldson, but an arms race broke out in the NL East and we passed on any chance. Not exactly a “hit” on everyday players either. More like “run-ners.”

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
From the Liberty Media CEO:
“I think the Atlanta management knows they have capacity to do more and are looking for the right deal,” Maffei said of the club’s present stance with regard to spending.

Does it even matter if he’s talking about trades or referring to Free Agents?
Sorry if it seems I’m down on our acquisitions or lack there of after Josh Donaldson, but an arms race broke out in the NL East and we passed on any chance. Not exactly a “hit” on everyday players either. More like “run-ners.”
I wish they would sell the team to someone who wants to make an effort to win or go ahead and move the team somewhere else. If they did move i think Atlanta would get an expansion team in the future.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish they would sell the team to someone who wants to make an effort to win or go ahead and move the team somewhere else. If they did move i think Atlanta would get an expansion team in the future.
Too much invested in Suntrust park for them to sell or move

If they moved I don’t know what I would do. Baseball has always been #1 in my heart and I couldn’t bring myself to cheer for Tampa or Washington.. I guess I’d go with Boston (love Fenway - been there twice)

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Too much invested in Suntrust park for them to sell or move

If they moved I don’t know what I would do. Baseball has always been #1 in my heart and I couldn’t bring myself to cheer for Tampa or Washington.. I guess I’d go with Boston (love Fenway - been there twice)
I wish someone else would take the Braves off of their hands;) I don't want them to leave either(y)

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
There is about a .01% chance that the Braves are moved elsewhere. At least in my mind. Probably about a 20% chance that LM sells the team. With the Battery still evolving and starting to make some serious cash, I think LM will try to see out the current development plans and hope that the team becomes a serious WS threat before they seriously consider selling.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
There is about a .01% chance that the Braves are moved elsewhere. At least in my mind. Probably about a 20% chance that LM sells the team. With the Battery still evolving and starting to make some serious cash, I think LM will try to see out the current development plans and hope that the team becomes a serious WS threat before they seriously consider selling.
I agree with you(y) The only way they would seriously consider selling the team would be if it crashed and burned all the way to last place in the NL East and Suntrust Park was 3/4 empty.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
The old, sell high and buy low theory.

My nephew works on Wall St.(Someone needs to get a peddlers License and hawk pain relievers on the street in the vicinity)...I’m thinking concession sales in the nearby bathrooms are out of stock regularly).

Back to our Baseball brethren.......

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Sitting on the dock of the bay, hoping the tide will wash away....

The Braves “aren’t currently engaged” with the top two remaining free agents, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (Twitter link). While the Atlanta organization would “consider” both Craig Kimbrel and Dallas Keuchel on short-term pacts, per the report, the club is “assuming both pitchers would do better elsewhere.”

THWG

Helluva Engineer
After keeping up with Spring training stats this year, I feel a little better about the offseason. Wright and Anderson are going to be legit Aces in a few years and Fried and Touissant have 2-3 upside in the rotation (I really like Fried and want him to start as the 5th starter this year).

Pache is just lights out in spring and I think that he will take Markakis' spot next year. Then, you have Alex Jackson and Contreras performing well at catcher. The McCann signing makes total sense now as he will probably play one more year and Jackson will take his spot next year. Flowers can teach him next year and then Contreras will be ready once Flowers' contract is up so we will have Jackson and Contreras as the catching duo in 2021. Riley or Camargo can take over at 3rd for Donaldson in 2020.

We can definitely add pieces through trades and free agency, but the plan is really clear now and it makes a little more sense as to why the Braves didn't spend a lot or trade any of the young guys. As much as I wanted to see some trades and high-profile free agent signings, I think the FO made the right decision in standing pat and letting the prospects play out for one more year.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Sitting on the dock of the bay, hoping the tide will wash away....

The Braves “aren’t currently engaged” with the top two remaining free agents, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network (Twitter link). While the Atlanta organization would “consider” both Craig Kimbrel and Dallas Keuchel on short-term pacts, per the report, the club is “assuming both pitchers would do better elsewhere.”
The Atlanta Braves ownership will be happy as long as the Braves have a winning record:rolleyes:

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
A couple of changes: 1)Effective this year, 2019, only one trade deadline of 07-31. The August deadline with confusing waiver rules has been done away with. 2)Next year, 2020, rosters expand to 26.

A couple more fairly insignificant changes for this season:
  • All-Star voting will still be conducted by fans online, but the top three players at each position, in each league, will now participate in an All-Star Election Day. The top three vote-getters at each position, in each league, (top six in the case of outfielders) will receive bonus payments.
  • The Home Run Derby will now come with $2.5MM of prize money, including a $1MM prize for the winner.
  • The maximum number of mound visits per game will be reduced from six to five.
  • Commercial breaks between innings are reduced to two minutes in length for all games.
  • The MLB and MLBPA will form a “Joint Committee” to discuss further issues and rule changes.

herb

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt...ut-cobb-still-the-red/q8SC53phUz5BZod9eEOMZN/

Sobotka might be headed to Gwinnett, after rough outing. With Gausman struggling, it looks like Touki and Kyle Wright might be behind Julio and Newcomb to start the season?

For vets like Gausman take spring stats, especially early ones, with a huge heaping of salt. They are often working on something, trying to get it dialed in and don’t really care as much about the results.