Atlanta Braves News

herb

Helluva Engineer
Just looked it up... wow

Our very own Bobby Bonilla

Yep, Bruce Sutter. He last pitched for the Braves in 1988 but is owed over 10 million dollars in 2021. In the thirty, 30!, years since he retired he has been getting a little over a million a year. The final payment is due in 2021 and includes the original amount agreed to, 9.1 million, in addition to the last interest payment.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Yep, Bruce Sutter. He last pitched for the Braves in 1988 but is owed over 10 million dollars in 2021. In the thirty, 30!, years since he retired he has been getting a little over a million a year. The final payment is due in 2021 and includes the original amount agreed to, 9.1 million, in addition to the last interest payment.

And, as a Mets fan, I thought only the Madoff Mets were capable of such things...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So far, the Phillies are the only one in Boras’ neighborhood. Looks like them to me, unless the highest bidder comes from elsewhere or Harper overrides his agent based on locale.

My guy checked back in. Says his 'guy' concurs that the PHI offer is the best/biggest but that Harper's camp wants a brand name team (Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, Braves) to come with something comparable. Contending and brand-building are the focus, not money.

Suggested Harper doesn't want to play in Philly so they're making crazy demands to see how high PHI will go. If it becomes overwhelming, he'll sign there. If any of the others comes with something comparable, they'll land him.

Honestly, a lot of this sounds like 'common-sensing', not necessarily "insider" stuff. Just passing along what the dude said.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Id rather have Cakes in right, than give up 300 million for a sub .250 defensive liability in Harper. Send him where ball players go to die...… Baltimore or KC

IIUC, he'd only be looking for a 10yr, $300mil deal from PHI. All the others would be shorter term. If I'm reading my guy right. Probably like the 3yr deal ATL supposedly offered Machado.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
IIUC, he'd only be looking for a 10yr, $300mil deal from PHI. All the others would be shorter term. If I'm reading my guy right. Probably like the 3yr deal ATL supposedly offered Machado.
Braves should be all over this. I wouldn't mind Harper at 10 years $300 but that's only because barring something crazy, he would opt out in three years. It's a different situation compared to Puljols to me because he was so old and Harper is just entering his prime.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Braves should be all over this. I wouldn't mind Harper at 10 years $300 but that's only because barring something crazy, he would opt out in three years. It's a different situation compared to Puljols to me because he was so old and Harper is just entering his prime.
Bryce Harper's hitting skills are slipping. I don't want the Braves to spend that much on a player whose skills are slipping.