Atlanta Braves News

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Per reports: The asking price on Realmuto is fairly high. He is under control for 2 more years at 10m. per season. It’s going to take the top organizational prospect, plus a Major League ready up and coming star with half a decade worth of value before F.A. status. An elite 27 y.o. at a critical position of catcher on the diamond, and the Marlins would rather not deal him within the Division to the Nats or Braves. Houston is deemed the favorite.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Per reports: The asking price on Realmuto is fairly high. He is under control for 2 more years at 10m. per season. It’s going to take the top organizational prospect, plus a Major League ready up and coming star with half a decade worth of value before F.A. status. An elite 27 y.o. at a critical position of catcher on the diamond, and the Marlins would rather not deal him within the Division to the Nats or Braves. Houston is deemed the favorite.
I'd rather the Braves try to get Wilson Ramos or Robinson Chirinos than have to give up a high ranked minor league player or two

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Guys, the word on the beat-writer street has Kimbrel out of our practical, financial reach. Keuchel and Corbin have qualifying offers as SP, which will drive their value higher than a runaway kite in the sky. Nathan Eovaldi does not, although most teams are talking to his agent, including the big spending Yankees. Personally, I’d like to see us get more serious with him, since he threw consistently over 97 mph and knows how to get outs without baserunners. Only 4 runs given up in 22 postseason innings with Boston, this past season. If the price hasn’t gone up too much, would love to have Sanchez back for another year. Newcomb, Touki, both need to get their control down, and the Braves need a few inning eaters. I disagree with the experts on Gausman. I believe we can count on him as a back of the rotation starter. Folty should stay as a front end guy, but we need to find a real live closer next year. Minter, O’Day, Vizcaino can all set up. It will help define the lousy bullpen.

Hopefully, we get a #2 or 3 starter, and someone like Soroka is healthy enough to compete as a consistent starter. I would trade chips to get a solid, younger, ML ready catcher. Every confidence in plugging in an OF, particularly if Inciarte is traded, we must get one back in such a deal.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Guys, the word on the beat-writer street has Kimbrel out of our practical, financial reach. Keuchel and Corbin have qualifying offers as SP, which will drive their value higher than a runaway kite in the sky. Nathan Eovaldi does not, although most teams are talking to his agent, including the big spending Yankees. Personally, I’d like to see us get more serious with him, since he threw consistently over 97 mph and knows how to get outs without baserunners. Only 4 runs given up in 22 postseason innings with Boston, this past season. If the price hasn’t gone up too much, would love to have Sanchez back for another year. Newcomb, Touki, both need to get their control down, and the Braves need a few inning eaters. I disagree with the experts on Gausman. I believe we can count on him as a back of the rotation starter. Folty should stay as a front end guy, but we need to find a real live closer next year. Minter, O’Day, Vizcaino can all set up. It will help define the lousy bullpen.

Hopefully, we get a #2 or 3 starter, and someone like Soroka is healthy enough to compete as a consistent starter. I would trade chips to get a solid, younger, ML ready catcher. Every confidence in plugging in an OF, particularly if Inciarte is traded, we must get one back in such a deal.
I wouldn't be shocked if the Braves wind up doing absolutely nothing in the offseason:rolleyes:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’m against trading Pache. He is a five-tool, who will develop power as he matures in growth. Like Acuna, these are once every decade type of players for the OF.

Serious question, what are the odds of having two of those at the same time in the same organization?

Then, on the other hand, what are the odds that one of the surefire, can't miss guys actually does miss?

I'm not up on my baseball knowledge so I learn from you guys. I genuinely wonder if the 'move' is to sell high on the guy's promise.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Serious question, what are the odds of having two of those at the same time in the same organization?

Then, on the other hand, what are the odds that one of the surefire, can't miss guys actually does miss?

I'm not up on my baseball knowledge so I learn from you guys. I genuinely wonder if the 'move' is to sell high on the guy's promise.

All you have to do is go back a few years with Jones and Jones for the Braves ;)

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It looks like we're not going to get Realmuto either. I really want Salvador Perez and Corey Kluber. Then in the outfield, either go after Brantley, Mitch Haniger or AJ Pollack. None of those guys will cost a lot so we would still have plenty of money to add some nice bench and bullpen pieces.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Yes, I agree on Realmuto. It would take a Texiera deal to get those Fish to trade inner-Division, and we know that gutted our farm system of the best prospects.

Drew Waters is another OF on the rise. We finally took some good position players in recent drafts. It’s really all about scouting and projections on who will develop into top shelf players. Talent rising a step/level at a time, is typically how development works. If you are a bonus baby, you generally get every chance to shine and move up.
In my day, 1 in 13 reached the bigs. Now, it has to be better in odds, because players stick around longer with the money so good. There are plenty of places to put players.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Rule 5 Draft forthcoming:
  • The Braves announced that they’ve selected the contracts of catcher Alex Jackson and right-handers Patrick Weigel, Jacob Webb and Huascar Ynoa. Jackson, the No. 6 pick in the 2014 draft, struggled through a miserable 2018 season, but the organization clearly didn’t want to risk losing him. Webb turned in a big season out of the bullpen across two levels, while Weigel, one of the organization’s top arms, should be back from Tommy John in 2019. The 20-year-old Ynoa didn’t post great numbers but was up to 100 mph in velocity this year, per Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs (Twitter link).

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Am I the only one who thinks the Braves got the short end of the stick by reupping Tyler Flowers during the season, and losing Suzuki to the rival Nats?
Kurt would have probably signed for two more years at 3m. per. during the All-Star break. Instead he gets 10m. for two with Washington. Flowers is from here, would have most likely been a good back up plan in January of 2019, if we couldn’t get a younger star.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who thinks the Braves got the short end of the stick by reupping Tyler Flowers during the season, and losing Suzuki to the rival Nats?
Kurt would have probably signed for two more years at 3m. per. Instead he gets 10m. for two with Washington. Flowers is from here, would have most likely been a good back up plan in January of 2019, if we couldn’t get a younger star.
I agree they took a bath resigning Flowers and losing Suzuki:banghead: If the Braves fall to 85 or 86 wins and don't go to the Playoffs in 2019 i hope the Braves fire Brian Snitker and hire Joe Girardi.