Athletic Director's Update

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So the BOR controls the curriculum?

I think Tech can propose changes and/or propose new programs but ultimately these proposals have to be approved by the BoR. I’m sure others on here can clarify this for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If anyone wants to explore the possibility of GT adding more degrees I would suggest you start here...
https://www.usg.edu/divisions/academic_affairs

Also, for those who want to know about the Board of Regents Members of the Board...
https://www.usg.edu/regents/members

I do buy into the idea that the BOR may make it harder for Tech to add more majors (and may in fact prevent any non-bachelor or science majors). However, I don't buy into the idea that this is because the BOR has lots of UGA grads that are conspiring to hurt GT's football team. I think they just want to ensure that GT stays one of the premier STEM institutions in the entire country. Not an unreasonable decision IMHO.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No if any topic comes up about the school holding athletics down all you do is take the schools side no matter what. Come on now this will take some thought process

You obviously don't read enough of my posts then. I have often chastised them for not fighting harder for a few more degrees. Specifically, a true communications degree (since the Turner networks are right up the street) and a Kinesiology degree. Both of these would make sense. What I do defend the school for, and always will, is not reducing the rigor in our academics. You and I probably aren't going to see eye to eye on that.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I do buy into the idea that the BOR may make it harder for Tech to add more majors (and may in fact prevent any non-bachelor or science majors). However, I don't buy into the idea that this is because the BOR has lots of UGA grads that are conspiring to hurt GT's football team. I think they just want to ensure that GT stays one of the premier STEM institutions in the entire country. Not an unreasonable decision IMHO.
If UGA can be given an engineering program without any financial certainty that it can stay afloat, I'm sure we could push to expand to a couple more majors. Keep them under the technology umbrella if they really want to and keep our reputation in tact.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If UGA can be given an engineering program without any financial certainty that it can stay afloat, I'm sure we could push to expand to a couple more majors. Keep them under the technology umbrella if they really want to and keep our reputation in tact.
I guess UGAG's engineering program would be Gas Station Engineering or Fast Food Technology Engineering;):LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I guess UGAG's engineering program would be Gas Station Engineering or Fast Food Technology Engineering;):LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:

I don't get this. When I was growing up, Alabama cited the way Georgia organized its universities are really well done. Instead of having 5 engineering schools, let's have one really good one (GT). I would have made the argument that if the demand is that high for engineers in GA, Tech should have been allowed to add campuses. And stay focused.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
uGA was given an engineering program and it was started as funding was short state-wide due to the economic recession. Now its growing like gangbusters and they want to expand. The reasoning behind the decision was there just aren't enough engineers to fill the demand for in state jobs. Problem is most engineers I know go out of state due to lack of in-state employment opportunities.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I don't get this. When I was growing up, Alabama cited the way Georgia organized its universities are really well done. Instead of having 5 engineering schools, let's have one really good one (GT). I would have made the argument that if the demand is that high for engineers in GA, Tech should have been allowed to add campuses. And stay focused.
There are quite a few schools that have good engineering programs. Tennessee has a very good engineering program.

http://www.engr.utk.edu