Athletic Director's Update

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradl...that-might-not-option/nZr1JHWx8PJxYLO2lIzgFO/

Think ole Bark Madley must be following this thread. Could at least give us credit for doing his research for him...

I am on board with the premise of the article that CPJ has not done well enough in recent years, but using our 1-4 record against Duke and 1-3 record against UVA as the primary evidence is a bit misleading. Much as it would be if I wrote an article that we should extend CPJ simply based on the fact that we are currently 3-1 against Va Tech and 2-2 against UGA. Neither paint the whole picture and it is a bit disingenuous to raise one streak without the other.

Now, the missing a bowl 3 of the last 4 years does do a good job painting a fair picture and would have been a much better basis for an article.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Making a comparison to Duke is fair ... it makes it real.

But ... of all the money TStan is raising, how much is going to player decelopment? Are fancier offices for GTAA, a new Edge, really going to transform the program?

When I ran a mfg business, we used to say, “All the value is created on the floor. Management is overhead.”

I hope we don’t end up with the finest offices of a last place team.

PTCjacket

Banned
I am on board with the premise of the article that CPJ has not done well enough in recent years, but using our 1-4 record against Duke and 1-3 record against UVA as the primary evidence is a bit misleading. Much as it would be if I wrote an article that we should extend CPJ simply based on the fact that we are currently 3-1 against Va Tech and 2-2 against UGA. Neither paint the whole picture and it is a bit disingenuous to raise one streak without the other.

Now, the missing a bowl 3 of the last 4 years does do a good job painting a fair picture and would have been a much better basis for an article.

there was a time when the fanbase complained about our results against "the big 4 - Clemson, UGA, Vt, and Miami". Now the discussion has shifted to UVA, Duke, Pitt, and UNC. That is pretty much all I need to know to make a decision if I were the AD.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
It's how we've lost that matters, and better recruits aren't going to fix that. We can't stop putting the ball on the ground, we couldn't kick worth a crap last year and the beginning of this year. Our special teams were generally a joke. Collapsing at the end of halfs and at the end of games when we have a lead. It goes on and on.

We can raise a billion dollars and we are always going to be at a disadvantage somehow because we aren't a normal school. Don't make things harder than they have to be. Take good angles, wrap up, don't fumble, get the snap off cleanly, stop getting dumb penalties and kicked out of games, and learn to cover kickoffs. I just want to see smart and sound football again.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It's how we've lost that matters, and better recruits aren't going to fix that. We can't stop putting the ball on the ground, we couldn't kick worth a crap last year and the beginning of this year. Our special teams were generally a joke. Collapsing at the end of halfs and at the end of games when we have a lead. It goes on and on.

We can raise a billion dollars and we are always going to be at a disadvantage somehow because we aren't a normal school. Don't make things harder than they have to be. Take good angles, wrap up, don't fumble, get the snap off cleanly, stop getting dumb penalties and kicked out of games, and learn to cover kickoffs. I just want to see smart and sound football again.
A lot of changes are needed;)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Don't make things harder than they have to be. Take good angles, wrap up, don't fumble, get the snap off cleanly, stop getting dumb penalties and kicked out of games, and learn to cover kickoffs. I just want to see smart and sound football again.

I am reminded of the need for perfection of ONE PLAY ... and of course ... Lombardi:

"For a decade, Vince Lombardi's Power Sweep dominated pro football. It used minimum deception and maximum effort, "four yards and a cloud of dust," perfect for Green Bay's ball-control offense. The power sweep was pure Lombardi: fundamental; few frills; teamwork.

Lombardi told his team: "Gentlemen, if we can make this play work, we can run the football." The Green Bay Packers did make it work, through constant drill and practice.

Lombardi.jpg
"You think there's anything special about this sweep? Well, there isn't. It's as basic a play as there can be in football. We simply do it over and over and over.There can never be enough emphasis on repetition. I want my players to be able to run this sweep in their sleep. If we call the sweep twenty times, I'll expect it to work twenty times...not eighteen, not nineteen."

That is the kind of discipline we don't have. IMHO.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That is the kind of discipline we don't have. IMHO.

When I ran a mfg business, we used to say, “All the value is created on the floor. Management is overhead.”

You are spot on. Most of my career was in manufacturing. In all the places that I worked, there was one considered to be a benchmark in the industry. Frequently, we hosted groups of people from our 9 other sister plants in North America or from people who were in the industry but not direct competitors. There were always a bit surprised frankly after the tour because we had no "silver bullets" or "pixie dust". There was no secret technology that we had that accounted for the results. in fact, everything about it was "no frills". What that plant had though was tough and determined management that accepted no excuses and help people to high standards. People who did not meet those standards were coached up or forced out. Because results mattered and we were left with people who were capable of and committed to doing quality work, morale was the best of any place I have ever worked during my career.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Your points show overwhelming evidence of a lack of DEMAND of constant attention to details by.......??

We can still win in 18 if they play the right ol guys.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I'm going to stick to mostly to offense since you did.

All true and all matters that the coaches have tried hard to address. Problem = we have a team that, besides at QB and AB, is actually not very experienced. Consider: Lee was an OT until this year and has only started at center 5 times. Hansen is coming up on his third start at guard. Quinney is coming up on his 5th at OT. Indeed, until Cooper came back, only Braun, Bryan, and Marshall (when healthy) had extensive OL starting experience at their positions. Camp is coming up on his 5th start and the #2 WRs are a redshirt and a true freshman. The Two-Headed Monster at BB is coming up on its 5th start. Our kick return guy is a freshman and occasionally shows it. Our place kicker is a freshman and has yet to be tested on a long kick. Oh, and our backup QB is a red-shirt freshman who has only had extensive playing time in one (1) game.

So do we make mistakes, particularly in OL play? Yes and it's pretty evident (to me, at least) why. Losing our starting BB - in one case (Mills) the leading rusher from the year before and in the second case (Benson) the #2 - in successive seasons has also not helped, especially with continuity at the mesh.

On D, we have a bunch of new starters at DB and a brand new scheme. Enough said.

Why people seem inclined to ignore this is beyond me. But I doubt seriously if the problem is a lack of effort by the coaches to get their message across. We'll see if that pays off next Thursday.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Does GT have a quota they try to reach for international and out-of-state students? If it’s competitive admission across the board, without picking favorites (in-state), this sounds like a K-12 academic issue in the state of Georgia that needs to be remedied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
70% in state
20% out of state
10% international

Acceptance rate for out of state and itnernational is usually in th1 15-25% range while in state flirts with the 40-60% range and the 25-75 increases as it goes down.

herb

Helluva Engineer
70% in state
20% out of state
10% international

Acceptance rate for out of state and itnernational is usually in th1 15-25% range while in state flirts with the 40-60% range and the 25-75 increases as it goes down.

The last numbers I think were 32% out of state 12% international. 56% in state. Try that at uga and see what happens.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Making a comparison to Duke is fair ... it makes it real.

But ... of all the money TStan is raising, how much is going to player decelopment? Are fancier offices for GTAA, a new Edge, really going to transform the program?

I hope we don’t end up with the finest offices of a last place team.
I was the senior partner responsible for business development in ourpipeline engineering company.

I changed out the sales method by eliminating the salesmen.

We had divided the company into divisions headed by senior v p and they ruled there group.

We were all 100% billable.

I hired a cajon sales man.

The salesman was given no office and told to take the mangers to lunch w thier clients. No reports . Just an invoice and expense statement with list who went to lunch . I kept master list and made sure the managers took one of their engineers to meet the same client and his engineer. Rinse wash repeat.
WE GOT ALL THE WORK THROUGH THE "ENGINEERS RELATIONSHIPS " Several of the better engineers became partners.

Gt recruiting
Of course use data to guide it
Imo
We need more g a 's talking to h s coaches and hs position coaches to set up our coaches/ recruiter meetings.
and families.
If there isnt a limit on number of g a , I would use them to the max. They are young, eager, and cheap. Never let them recruit, but make them as a visible extension of our position coach/ chief recruiters.
Working w the guys under the H s head coach is important. Andy made 2 trips to pensacola high for ol p 5 recruits. H S coaches asked if we are really INTERESTED. Note sewak never came.

A bunch of GA touches would be remembered ,BUILD RELATIONSHIPS, and some GA could become head coaches.

Trivia question - what was the head coach of Tennesse doing 10 years ago - GA at Alabama.

OH WELL end of business development rant.
Engineers believe they will get what they deserve in the end. They usually do get it in the end.