Athletic Director's Update

slugboy

Staff member
Apparently, Kelly Quinlan has a ton of scuttlebutt.
giphy.gif

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not responding to anyone, but I think we all agree that our players are giving it everything they have and haven't quit. Sometimes the other team is just bigger, faster and stronger; other times the other teams coaching is better; other times it's just the bounce of the ball. But our players are doing everything they can and we'll always root for them.

To be fair, neither does Harvard. If you have all the money you need and tons of highly qualified applicants, most academic types don't see any benefit to the athletics program at all....

The Hill doesn't need athletics to achieve their academic goal. GT has way more highly qualified applicants than they can handle; the problem is sorting out who to cut. That's why GT has the highest SAT of any PUBLIC university/institution. They don't need the Alumni Clubs in different towns and we were told to butt out and not have meetings with parents of students who applied. Didn't want to contaminate The Hill's message.

Athletics ( football, basketball) are not necessary to get the"quality" applicants that The Hill desires. So why should The Hill do anything at all to dilute their drive for academic purity? (a bit of hyperbole but the point remains.)

Totally agree with this ...
1) IMO, this is obvious, watching other games makes me want to cry, what I wouldn't give for a TE (sic).
2) CPJ said it himself, we have a very small margin for error in this offense, I raised two daughters, teenagers and young adults are far from perfect.

Thank God both my kids have turned 30 and done ok. They may have overcome our errors or whatever, but it worked out. I'd also like to note that us adults are far from perfect :whistle:;)

I used to want to cry about how our games went but now it's like I've seen this before. Too easy to get over. Baseball season is coming; but there's no crying in baseball either.

herb

Helluva Engineer
They don't need the Alumni Clubs in different towns and we were told to butt out and not have meetings with parents of students who applied. Didn't want to contaminate The Hill's message

This. The hill doesn’t care about what the gen pop thinks. No one has held them accountable for anything. The Board of Regents has effectively given them free rein to do whatever they want. You think UGA would be allowed to have an instate percentage of 56%? There would be a revolt in the streets. But whatever here. They don’t give a crap and we sheep will enjoy whatever they give us

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I bet "never involved w football" M bob and the prez were shocked to see Coach s comments on the "Strategic Plan for Gt Athletics."

Probably one note on title page
"Get me some recruiters and let's go get some players. I'll take it from there. Good job guys. Loved the catch slogans. Thanks Coach.

Who hired that mbob guy?
That's the same guy that's eagle eye watching the research spending expenses.

Bingo!

2018 Its time.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. A big part of what is holding us back is the elitist attitude from some GT people. There's a part of our fanbase that are just like Bud Peterson. Elitist and snobby

I have always said we need a true sports management degree, it should only require statistics and a few finance classes from math.

I'd also like an actual kinesology department. That would go along well with our bioengineering and biology departments.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I have always said we need a true sports management degree, it should only require statistics and a few finance classes from math.

I'd also like an actual kinesology department. That would go along well with our bioengineering and biology departments.
Spot on and it wouldn't hurt the school in anyway. But for whatever reason the elites among GT feel they're too good for that. Such a shame

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Spot on and it wouldn't hurt the school in anyway. But for whatever reason the elites among GT feel they're too good for that. Such a shame

I know i probably come off a lot defending johnson and pointing out our limitations like excuses. But I do know what we need, the realist in me knows though that what we really need to get out of this problem we can't do. People are judging johnson based on what he could do with less resources than monken had at goergia southern. But johnson can't fix the majors. He can't fix the hill. And hell we can't fix that either. That's why im glad we have stansbury. He knows the issues and he's going to try to fix what he can fix.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sometimes these threads make me wonder if I’m the only guy in the universe that ever faced a problem he couldn’t solve. Nobody’s ever raised a kid that went off the reservation, had a boss or leadership team that was either inept or lacked the courage to commit the resources because the professional risk was too high, faced a problem where having the best just wasn’t a viable option or just had the ball bounce the wrong way on you and you adversary got what he wanted but you got stiffed?

GT’s problems are complicated & not easy to solve otherwise a fairy would have flown in & sprinkled her magic pixie dust on us and we’d be awesome. It requires a comprehensive strategy, a long term commitment & a dedication to following through over an extremely long period of time. This is not a McDonald’s problem where you can roll in & order a $5 happy meal and have your kid stop screaming.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Whats our biggest problem? The Hill? Board of Regents? Lack of donations? CPJ’s offense? Calculus? Russell uniforms? Wait, scratch that last one.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Whats our biggest problem? The Hill? Board of Regents? Lack of donations? CPJ’s offense? Calculus? Russell uniforms? Wait, scratch that last one.

As I recall, GTAA produced last year for the first time ... an actual strategic plan. Think about that ... an $80MM business with no plan. Tech has a what, Top 30 business school? And yet, only a few blocks away is the GTAA which doesn't do any of the recommended methods ... As the Cheshire Cat told Alice in Wonderland, "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

"Elitism" isn't the problem. The Board of Regents has to approve additional majors and programs, which is out of the control of GT "Elites" and in the hands of mainly uga grads.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
People are judging johnson based on what he could do with less resources than monken had at goergia southern. But johnson can't fix the majors. He can't fix the hill. And hell we can't fix that either. That's why im glad we have stansbury. He knows the issues and he's going to try to fix what he can fix.

I am looking at TStan as the canary in the coal mine. He is either going to be able to do the strategic thinking and execution that fixes (or reduces) our root cause problems. IF he leaves in the short term, I think it will be because he isn't getting the support and buy in from the top. That would be the death blow to GT athletics ever being what we who frequent this place would like for it to become.

As far as Johnson goes, I really wish he would have gotten the support that he requested and had hoped that he would be successful here. OTOH, he isn't controlling the things that he can control...special teams, turnovers, missed assignments,etc. The team just looks sloppy on the field.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
"Elitism" isn't the problem. The Board of Regents has to approve additional majors and programs, which is out of the control of GT "Elites" and in the hands of mainly uga grads.
Right. That explains why we so many articles in the AJC about conflicts between the GT Admin and the BOR about curriculum offerings at Tech, right? Oh....wait.....

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Right. That explains why we so many articles in the AJC about conflicts between the GT Admin and the BOR about curriculum offerings at Tech, right? Oh....wait.....

The curriculum doesn't matter, imo. Or not as much as some think. Look at Clemson. Half of the team has an Undeclared major. I think second is "Pre-Business" ... even for the courses they do offer, the kids are taking puffery classes.

I'd rather stop talking about curriculum changes and emphasize the need for a superior tutoring operation. It is just a fact that Tech will be more demanding.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just to clarify...I've never considered myself a blue-blood or aristocrat but I have been called a snobby b*tch before.

e·lit·ist
əˈlēdəst,āˈlēdəst/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or supporting the view that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    "older men with an elitist attitude about music"
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    "critics portray him as an out-of-touch elitist"
    synonyms: aristocrat, blue blood;
    snob
    "the elitists wield too much influence"

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

It's just a jock major. One of my son's has that degree and I told him it was useless. He was in classes with a bunch of jocks now in the NFL and NBA. He had no chance for a job in that field. He now manages a restaurant.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Guess what we aint freaking Harvard, time to get off of the proverbial high horse

I agree. We ain't Harvard. What we are is a medium-sized STEM school that specializes in engineering. And, in that, we are way better than Harvard :D

While not perfect, here are the latest US News Rankings for each of Georgia Tech's engineering majors:

#1 Industrial/Manufacturing

#2 Aerospace

#2 Chemical

#2 Civil

#2 Mechanical

#3 Biomedical

#3 Materials

#4 Environmental

#4 Electrical

#5 Computer Engineering

Top 4 overall undergraduate engineering, tied with Cal Tech.
https://coe.gatech.edu/news/all-programs-crack-top-5-us-news-undergrad-rankings

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Guess what we aint freaking Harvard, time to get off of the proverbial high horse
Couldn't agree with you more strongly. But apparently, our Administration thinks differently. Neither CPJ nor Stansbury can change that.

Maybe we need to march to Peterson's house and plant goalposts in his yard when we lose to Uga to close out this season, to make our point.