Athletic Director's Update

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Couldn't agree with you more strongly. But apparently, our Administration thinks differently. Neither CPJ nor Stansbury can change that.

Maybe we need to march to Peterson's house and plant goalposts in his yard when we lose to Uga to close out this season, to make our point.

Yes, but very few of our guys actually study engineering. Most are business majors.

PTCjacket

Banned
To me, the correct new course to add is a BS in Sports Technology. Linking IT to real time stats is changing the game. It really is Moneyball. And Tech is uniquely suited to do this. But I'm not sure anyone has even entertained the idea.

If they offered this in the early 2000s, then I would have probably signed up for it instead of ME.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
"Elitism" isn't the problem. The Board of Regents has to approve additional majors and programs, which is out of the control of GT "Elites" and in the hands of mainly uga grads.
No offence but all you do is defend the school so i cant take you seriously

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
It's just a jock major. One of my son's has that degree and I told him it was useless. He was in classes with a bunch of jocks now in the NFL and NBA. He had no chance for a job in that field. He now manages a restaurant.

Which one? Kinesiology can lead to a PT or occupational therapy path. Or coaching.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Except that isn't true at all. We know tech is a great school so you can stop repeating it over and over and over

Seriously. Your complaint is that I defend GT too much. Think about what you just said. Repeating it over and over is part of being a fan. Your constant bashing GT is why I call you a troll.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
Almost as many GT grads as uga grads.

If you count the advanced degrees and not just the undergraduate degrees, there are 10 UGA alumni to Tech's 3. How is that even close? I thought that Tech men were supposed to be good at math. Maybe just advanced mathematics is in your wheelhouse but simple calculations trip you up.

That is a >3/1 voting advantage in UGA's favor.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Just to clarify...I've never considered myself a blue-blood or aristocrat but I have been called a snobby b*tch before.

e·lit·ist
əˈlēdəst,āˈlēdəst/
adjective
  1. 1.
    relating to or supporting the view that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    "older men with an elitist attitude about music"
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who believes that a society or system should be led by an elite.
    "critics portray him as an out-of-touch elitist"
    synonyms: aristocrat, blue blood;
    snob
    "the elitists wield too much influence"

“Elitist” - one who sports a tee shirt with the inscription, “I see stupid people”.

slugboy

Staff member
To me, the correct new course to add is a BS in Sports Technology. Linking IT to real time stats is changing the game. It really is Moneyball. And Tech is uniquely suited to do this. But I'm not sure anyone has even entertained the idea.
I can BS on Sports Technology. Seems like a plan.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Seriously. Your complaint is that I defend GT too much. Think about what you just said. Repeating it over and over is part of being a fan. Your constant bashing GT is why I call you a troll.
No if any topic comes up about the school holding athletics down all you do is take the schools side no matter what. Come on now this will take some thought process

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have always said we need a true sports management degree, it should only require statistics and a few finance classes from math.

I'd also like an actual kinesology department. That would go along well with our bioengineering and biology departments.

I've argued with some folks on the board about this before. But I've said for a long time that Tech needs a school of STEM Education. Georgia has had a shortage of qualified STEM teachers for going on two decades now. Part of what's holding our State back academically is our crappy math and science education. It's also a big part of why Tech is about to have a majority of students from out of state. Since too many of our in-state students don't have the math scores to get into Tech.

I'm not talking about a major that produces Social Studies 'teachers'/baseball coaches. It wouldn't be an 'easy major for football players'. (Though it'd be another option for them.) I'm thinking a direct-to-Master's degree type program. The kind that puts out AP Calculus III instructors, AP Physics teachers, and the folks that go on to get their Phd.s and teach education majors at GSU, GCSU, etc. To me, that's a reasonable area for the Hill to push to grow in; to expand our footprint, mission and alumni base.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We ain't Harvard. What we are is a medium-sized STEM school that specializes in engineering. And, in that, we are way better than Harvard :D

While not perfect, here are the latest US News Rankings for each of Georgia Tech's engineering majors:

#1 Industrial/Manufacturing

#2 Aerospace

#2 Chemical

#2 Civil

#2 Mechanical

#3 Biomedical

#3 Materials

#4 Environmental

#4 Electrical

#5 Computer Engineering

Top 4 overall undergraduate engineering, tied with Cal Tech.
https://coe.gatech.edu/news/all-programs-crack-top-5-us-news-undergrad-rankings

Wow, would it really hurt GT’s rep at all to have one freaking major to hide athletes in? Can GT change the curriculum on an existing major and make it easier without BOR approval?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No offence but all you do is defend the school so i cant take you seriously
I mean what he said is pretty true from my understandings. Now, if he was giving a random opinion of his, your comment would work. I know what you are getting at, I just don’t think it works for this comment by Augusta Jacket. The way I see this regardless, is that you and him are on 100 percent opposite spectrums on GT when y’all both could probably be more in the middle. However, we all have our opinions and nothing wrong with that.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Wow, would it really hurt GT’s rep at all to have one freaking major to hide athletes in? Can GT change the curriculum on an existing major and make it easier without BOR approval?

The answer to the first question doesn’t matter since the answer to the second question is, “No”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk