Athletic Director's Update

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
If you count the advanced degrees and not just the undergraduate degrees, there are 10 UGA alumni to Tech's 3. How is that even close? I thought that Tech men were supposed to be good at math. Maybe just advanced mathematics is in your wheelhouse but simple calculations trip you up.

That is a >3/1 voting advantage in UGA's favor.
No need for the snarky ****. That's more befitting of ugag fans.
I didn't count the advanced degrees. Didn't think it necessary as I believe there would be more attachment to your undergrad school which is the complaint about the make-up of the BOR. But go ahead and pick nits and talk **** if you want.

Much less, the BOR, IMO which probably correct, isn't holding GT back because there are 13 advanced ugag degrees. They want us to stay unique, so to speak.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
No need for the snarky ****. That's more befitting of ugag fans.
I didn't count the advanced degrees. Didn't think it necessary as I believe there would be more attachment to your undergrad school which is the complaint about the make-up of the BOR. But go ahead and pick nits and talk **** if you want.

Much less, the BOR, IMO which probably correct, isn't holding GT back because there are 13 advanced ugag degrees. They want us to stay unique, so to speak.

No snark or insult intended. But you can see that there is a big advantage that UGA has over us and every other member school in the USG. The BOR is long overdue for some serious reform and should have only one representative from each institution.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
I agree. We ain't Harvard. What we are is a medium-sized STEM school that specializes in engineering. And, in that, we are way better than Harvard :D

While not perfect, here are the latest US News Rankings for each of Georgia Tech's engineering majors:

#1 Industrial/Manufacturing

#2 Aerospace

#2 Chemical

#2 Civil

#2 Mechanical

#3 Biomedical

#3 Materials

#4 Environmental

#4 Electrical

#5 Computer Engineering

Top 4 overall undergraduate engineering, tied with Cal Tech.
https://coe.gatech.edu/news/all-programs-crack-top-5-us-news-undergrad-rankings
Engineering a drive against Dook comes in at #127

We’re not #1 at Engineering everything, just mostly everything.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
How, was by the Board of Regents. Why, was because they wanted one. Just like why they were given part of the Medical College of Georgia.
I understand that but GT is one of the best engineering schools in the country. Whats the point of uga having one?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wow, would it really hurt GT’s rep at all to have one freaking major to hide athletes in? Can GT change the curriculum on an existing major and make it easier without BOR approval?

While I very very much want a better football team, having the UNC sham majors would be wrong. It also would totally undermine the idea of making so much money with a GT degree.

What really bothers me is not football, but baseball. We should be doing much better in baseball recruiting. The Sports Analytics degree could help there .......

herb

Helluva Engineer
I understand that but GT is one of the best engineering schools in the country. Whats the point of uga having one?

I think the official rationale was that there was a shortage of engineers and tech is at full capacity with really no place to grow

Milwaukee

Banned

You know why already, you're just looking for someone to answer it?

To gain any ground they can on GT academically in any field, as long as it helps them separate from us. Remember what happened to UAB? That's pretty much what's happening to Tech, it's just a lot more passive aggressive and our athletic department won't even fight back about it. "The Hill, the Hill, the Hill". Well knock someone off the hill and change things. Someone get a backbone.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
You know why already, you're just looking for someone to answer it?

To gain any ground they can on GT academically in any field, as long as it helps them separate from us. Remember what happened to UAB? That's pretty much what's happening to Tech, it's just a lot more passive aggressive and our athletic department won't even fight back about it. "The Hill, the Hill, the Hill". Well knock someone off the hill and change things. Someone get a backbone.
I didn't go to Tech so all of this board of regents, the Hill, calculus stuff is new to me. I've only been educated on all this stuff recently in the past few years by this forum.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
According to their website, they offer:

Agricultural
Biochemical
Biological
Civil
Computer Systems
Electrical & Electronics
Environmental
Mechanical

EDIT: US News ranks GT the #4 undergraduate engineering school. mutts are ranked #116.

This list perpetuates the idea that the mutts on the BoR are trying to keep us under their thumb. We specialize in engineering and UGA craps in our backyard by offering the same disciplines we offer, except for agricultural, but we can’t offer BAs because they say we can only offer BS degrees. This is BS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk