Athletic Director's Update

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If UGA can be given an engineering program without any financial certainty that it can stay afloat, I'm sure we could push to expand to a couple more majors. Keep them under the technology umbrella if they really want to and keep our reputation in tact.
In truth, GT cut its own throat on the Engineering program at UGa. How, you ask? By not accepting enough students from within the State of Georgia. Local kids and parents complained that they could not get accepted by GT but wanted an engineering program they could actually get into. Academic rigor is upheld, though, by God!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
How and why was uga given an engineering program?
Someone already mentioned it, but the idea was that they wanted to develop more in-state engineers to make up for a shortage. The problem was that instead of developing some of the other tier 2 engineering options in the state (Georgia Southern, Kennesaw State, etc.), they decided to give UGA an engineering school on the basis that UGA promised they wouldn't ask for any more than the allotted funding. This was heavily opposed by anyone familiar with how incredibly expensive an engineering department is. I think the BOR just wanted to push their flagship school and having multiple colleges within the university helps in academic rankings (they may pass us in US News rankings with time if you're into that kind of thing).

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree. We ain't Harvard. What we are is a medium-sized STEM school that specializes in engineering. And, in that, we are way better than Harvard :D

While not perfect, here are the latest US News Rankings for each of Georgia Tech's engineering majors:

#1 Industrial/Manufacturing

#2 Aerospace

#2 Chemical

#2 Civil

#2 Mechanical

#3 Biomedical

#3 Materials

#4 Environmental

#4 Electrical

#5 Computer Engineering

Top 4 overall undergraduate engineering, tied with Cal Tech.
https://coe.gatech.edu/news/all-programs-crack-top-5-us-news-undergrad-rankings
Our "medium - sized Stem school" includes a college of engineering that is about the same size as Texas and Michigan combined.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The curriculum doesn't matter, imo. Or not as much as some think. Look at Clemson. Half of the team has an Undeclared major. I think second is "Pre-Business" ... even for the courses they do offer, the kids are taking puffery classes.

I'd rather stop talking about curriculum changes and emphasize the need for a superior tutoring operation. It is just a fact that Tech will be more demanding.
The other half of the team is in "Parks and Recreation"!

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
In truth, GT cut its own throat on the Engineering program at UGa. How, you ask? By not accepting enough students from within the State of Georgia. Local kids and parents complained that they could not get accepted by GT but wanted an engineering program they could actually get into. Academic rigor is upheld, though, by God!

Does GT have a quota they try to reach for international and out-of-state students? If it’s competitive admission across the board, without picking favorites (in-state), this sounds like a K-12 academic issue in the state of Georgia that needs to be remedied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The last time I checked, the State of GA provided less than 20% of Tech's budget. To help with the shortfall, Tech began accepting out of state kids to get more $. My info is a couple of decades old, so some budget changes may have occurred.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
MIT #1
Stanford #2
Cal Berkeley #3
Ga Tech / Cal Tech #4
Carnegie Melon / Illinois Urbana Champaign / Michigan #6
Purdue / Cornell / Texas #9
And, people just don't get it when I try to explain that our academic peers are Cal Tech and MIT, not Stanford and Duke.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
N n
How, was by the Board of Regents. Why, was because they wanted one. Just like why they were given part of the Medical College of Georgia.
Hey, why don't big majority of uga grads on b o r have uga take over the admin of gt research dept. Silly engineers should get in labs and do research.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does GT have a quota they try to reach for international and out-of-state students? If it’s competitive admission across the board, without picking favorites (in-state), this sounds like a K-12 academic issue in the state of Georgia that needs to be remedied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used to strive for 50% out of state students. In the old days, the BOR would authorize only 50% of funding, so Tech needed a decent amount of non Georgia students to build a national reputation and generate higher tuition.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Don’t give them any ideas, sheesh.

Even worse nightmare titled

The decline of gt s in state relevance is slow till its not.

But since the uga admins would feel uneasy on gt campus, the b o r they moved big part of the research park to Lockheed.
Further to maintain state of ga content they mandate that 50% of engineers be from in state. The in state mandate causes the 4 gt reps on board to vote for it. As a rider they add that money from research be put in general education fund.
The care taker s on hill wakes up and issue a passive statement . NOW WE ARE ALL GT and cuts any academic help to gtaa athletes.

Cant happen??? That uga engineering school happened on this prez s watch.
He's a fine engineer.

Just cranky before I get my coffee.

Now to watch Longestday!

slugboy

Staff member
Sooooo can this conversation be moved or something?
Find one of the root posts to the off topic stuff and it "report" and say "off topic". That'll help the moderators.
If it's my post, report it and reply with something snarky.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Is agricultural engineering putting together and repairing farm equipment?:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:
They have had that Agricultural Eng degree/program a long, long time. The other stuff is new.

BTW, my daughter (my dear GT grad daughter 2016) went to grade and HS with a recent ugag eng grad. Yada, yada, yada...GT has nothing to worry about for a while.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Even worse nightmare titled

The decline of gt s in state relevance is slow till its not.

But since the uga admins would feel uneasy on gt campus, the b o r they moved big part of the research park to Lockheed.
Further to maintain state of ga content they mandate that 50% of engineers be from in state. The in state mandate causes the 4 gt reps on board to vote for it. As a rider they add that money from research be put in general education fund.
The care taker s on hill wakes up and issue a passive statement . NOW WE ARE ALL GT and cuts any academic help to gtaa athletes.

Cant happen??? That uga engineering school happened on this prez s watch.
He's a fine engineer.

Just cranky before I get my coffee.

Now to watch Longestday!
GTRI has been next to Lockheed for a long, long, time. They've recently invested $50mil+ in buying some of Lockheed's unused buildings and vacant land including the Class A office building that the F-22 was designed in.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
uGA was given an engineering program and it was started as funding was short state-wide due to the economic recession. Now its growing like gangbusters and they want to expand. The reasoning behind the decision was there just aren't enough engineers to fill the demand for in state jobs. Problem is most engineers I know go out of state due to lack of in-state employment opportunities.
Well, if I had to wager -- and I know diddly about engineering or engineers or much any more about Georgia -- it would be that "employment opportunities" gets the blame due a living wage. Georgia might be righteously amazed at what competitive salaries, starting in the classrooms, would do.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
According to their website, they offer:

Agricultural
Biochemical
Biological
Civil
Computer Systems
Electrical & Electronics
Environmental
Mechanical

EDIT: US News ranks GT the #4 undergraduate engineering school. mutts are ranked #116.

They've had Ag. Engineering for some time. All the rest has been added recently. It seems glaringly obvious that any students they have in the fields offered by Tech are students at UG because they couldn't get into Tech. The tuition is roughly the same, so why else would they be at #116 instead of #4?

herb

Helluva Engineer
They've had Ag. Engineering for some time. All the rest has been added recently. It seems glaringly obvious that any students they have in the fields offered by Tech are students at UG because they couldn't get into Tech. The tuition is roughly the same, so why else would they be at #116 instead of #4?

There are all kinds of reasons. Grew up a uga fan and always dreamed of going there, Atlanta is too big and feel more comfortable in Athens, had the grades all along to get into Tech but strung along by gt admissions and welcomed and wooed by uga, etc. etc.