Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not expecting much change unless/until the net round of defendants take pleas. Then things could get interesting. In the meantime ...

I agree with this. if a couple of the assts flip and decide to incriminate their former bosses then it could get interesting. It would also put it at a point where blue blood schools would likely be in trouble - which would mean the NCAA would have to switch its rules so that they could move forward into the future.

I'm sort of sick of the underbelly so I really don't mind if the college basketball system gets blown up and they have to start over with a new model.

It's depressing to know you really have no ability to compete at the top even if there is a pretense that you can.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree with this. if a couple of the assts flip and decide to incriminate their former bosses then it could get interesting. It would also put it at a point where blue blood schools would likely be in trouble - which would mean the NCAA would have to switch its rules so that they could move forward into the future.

I'm sort of sick of the underbelly so I really don't mind if the college basketball system gets blown up and they have to start over with a new model.

It's depressing to know you really have no ability to compete at the top even if there is a pretense that you can.

I'm definitely rooting for chaos and for the cbb world to burn. It's the only shot we have, if we're being honest. Sad/true.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm totally gonna listen, bro. But, for the folks who can't listen, how's about a summary? Asking for a friend. (y)
The short answer is that the amount of money in basketball is overwhelming everything else. Kids as young as 10 years old are in "the basketball business." Hangers on, like Dawkins, are scoping out these young kids to get whatever they can for themselves. Sokolove said recruiting has become a sports flesh market at every level.

He also said the AAU circuit has become the only place for coaches at the top level to recruit. The competition at the HS level is too inconsistent to get any insight into the talented kids.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

89C83A13-14BA-4DCA-B362-96AFF6852A07.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing: The vast majority of college sports (that includes the other sports outside of basketball) know NCAA sports is kind of a scam. We know it's dirty at some (every?) level, and the bigger schools are getting away with it unless they out and out cheat. The NCAA has no motivation to really pursue the bluebloods/cash machines, nor is it really in their best interest. The only thing really policing schools are their rivals, disgruntled former players, and disgruntled families. God forbid a team cheats if you're not getting away with it.

I think there was a poll several years ago asking college sports fans if they cared whether their teams cheated. A good majority of the fans were willing to accept cheating by their team on some level...IF they didn't know and their team didn't get caught. Ignorance is bliss.

Which is to say, unless fans are going to stop watching sports and advertisers and broadcasters are going to stop paying teams money, the machine will keep going in some form or another. Don't hold your breath.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Here's the thing: The vast majority of college sports (that includes the other sports outside of basketball) know NCAA sports is kind of a scam. We know it's dirty at some (every?) level, and the bigger schools are getting away with it unless they out and out cheat. The NCAA has no motivation to really pursue the bluebloods/cash machines, nor is it really in their best interest. The only thing really policing schools are their rivals, disgruntled former players, and disgruntled families. God forbid a team cheats if you're not getting away with it.

I think there was a poll several years ago asking college sports fans if they cared whether their teams cheated. A good majority of the fans were willing to accept cheating by their team on some level...IF they didn't know and their team didn't get caught. Ignorance is bliss.

Which is to say, unless fans are going to stop watching sports and advertisers and broadcasters are going to stop paying teams money, the machine will keep going in some form or another. Don't hold your breath.
If I were the smaller schools, have lawyers compiling RICO/Anti-trust suits against the NCAA, big media, apparel companies and the P5 conferences. The bottom 200-250 schools should be able to generate leverage against the big boys here. Just the discovery would be worth the cost of filing the lawsuit.

Deleted member 2897

Maybe we’re doing this wrong. Maybe we need to go after the heads of the NCAA for incompetence, conspiracy, etc. the fact that they literally do nothing about anything is a farce.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Maybe we’re doing this wrong. Maybe we need to go after the heads of the NCAA for incompetence, conspiracy, etc. the fact that they literally do nothing about anything is a farce.

+1000

They're defrauding the 400+ non-blue blood bball teams by acting as if they're doing their jobs.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, the NCAA can't sneeze without first getting permission from its member institutions - the schools. The schools basically want a veneer that things are all being policed and are above board, but really the schools largely due what they want.

Since over 80% of the revenue raised by the NCAA goes right back to the schools they really don't have alot of motivation to change the system.