Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is anyone else starting to feel like the uneven playing field of college athletics in general and college basketball in particular really makes the game less interesting? I now know when Duke or Kansas or Kentucky (or Oklahoma State or Arizona....and on) Play that I am watching semi-professionals bought and paid for. I suspected issues before, but the cheating that has been exposed has really, really bothered me. How can anyone really expect a good guy (or a good school) to compete?

For me, I think that it will depend on what comes of it. If the blatant cheating uncovered and laid out on a silver platter for the NCAA by the FBI goes unpunished, then I will lose some interest.

A school like Kansas (or LSU) who was put on blast during the trial should be firmly under the microscope. If this new Condi Rice led committee wants to clean-up the game, a lot of legwork has already been done for them.

At least with the Adidas school. Hopefully Nike and UA get their names tossed around next. I mean, does anyone really think that schools like Oregon or Maryland are clean?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Is anyone else starting to feel like the uneven playing field of college athletics in general and college basketball in particular really makes the game less interesting? I now know when Duke or Kansas or Kentucky (or Oklahoma State or Arizona....and on) Play that I am watching semi-professionals bought and paid for. I suspected issues before, but the cheating that has been exposed has really, really bothered me. How can anyone really expect a good guy (or a good school) to compete?
Not really anything we haven't already known for the past 10 years. Following this is just more for daytime soap opera style entertainment of finding out which character you already knew was evil is going to finally be exposed as evil to the rest of the characters. Then when you think the good guys are finally going to kill the guy or get him thrown in jail, he escapes and gets away with it. Like sands through the hour glass.
tenor.gif

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
For me, I think that it will depend on what comes of it. If the blatant cheating uncovered and laid out on a silver platter for the NCAA by the FBI goes unpunished, then I will lose some interest.

A school like Kansas (or LSU) who was put on blast during the trial should be firmly under the microscope. If this new Condi Rice led committee wants to clean-up the game, a lot of legwork has already been done for them.

At least with the Adidas school. Hopefully Nike and UA get their names tossed around next. I mean, does anyone really think that schools like Oregon or Maryland are clean?

Can we maybe look at Vandy, who has pulled in something like six 5-star players the last two years despite...being Vandy...and coached by Bryce Drew!?

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
Can we maybe look at Vandy, who has pulled in something like six 5-star players the last two years despite...being Vandy...and coached by Bryce Drew!?
Scott & Bruce drew=big bags of cash
Remember the huge pay for play scandal in bb recrufiring?
$ec...pearl, wade, Avery, drew. How do you think these sec dumpster fires suddenly are signing these top recruits?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
That is bazaar. When the information is publically available it should be sufficient for the NCAA to proceed. They can always extend the investigation when new information comes from new trials but I can't think of any reason to wait for the whole process to conclude.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
NCSTATE will get some punishment due to $40k payoff to a player. Assistant coach was involed. Most of this was AAU coaches getting the money from Adidas to funnel them to their brand. It will be hard to catch actual transfer of $ to the players from AAU coaches. Will be interesting to see where NCAA takes this.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

On that Myanmar thing, sentencing isn't until March 5 ...

... I wonder if they'll try to revisit the whole 'not naming any coaches' thing between now and then?

Probably doesn't matter at this point but perhaps for the dudes awaiting trial ...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hearing this prosecutor's statement kinda makes the verdict make more sense .. in a totally ridiculous way.

If you work under the assumption that these schools' motives are pure, what the defendants were doing does indeed become illegal. The reality though is that these schools are complicit in the whole thing so .... as I said, this is all ridiculous.

I hope @RonJohn is able to peal himself off the floor to give us his thoughts. I'm sure he's as surprised as the rest of us.