Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
AZ hasn't been mentioned much because they are a Nike school, not an Adidas school. L'ville and Kansas have been most mentioned in this trial because the defendants are Adidas related.
If Nike guys were on trial then you would get alot more on Nike schools.

The Adidas guys made clear they felt they were competing with Nike and Adidas folks who were also spending alot of money, but they are not on trial.
It is also important to remember the trial is not about whether any of the defendants or who they interacted with broke NCAA rules. The trial is about whether these defendants broke any federal laws.

The reason you have not heard much is because the judge has kept the trial very focused on the charges against the defendants, not whether activities broke NCAA regulations. To his credit, that is what he is supposed to do as a judge.

My bet is that the feds have alot of evidence of NCAA wrongdoing, whether the NCAA ever sees it and gets to do anything with it is another matter. The Feds still have 2 more trials scheduled after this one - one in the winter and one next spring - there is no way they will share any evidence with the NCAA before those 2 trials are complete. and assuming they do share the information with the NCAA there is no guarantee the public will ever hear any of it. That would be up to the NCAA at that point. The NCAA can use now any evidence that was presented during the trial, so there are a couple of schools - notably Kansas and L'ville and possibly MD that they could likely go after now if they really wanted to.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
AZ hasn't been mentioned much because they are a Nike school, not an Adidas school. L'ville and Kansas have been most mentioned in this trial because the defendants are Adidas related.
If Nike guys were on trial then you would get alot more on Nike schools.

The Adidas guys made clear they felt they were competing with Nike and Adidas folks who were also spending alot of money, but they are not on trial.
It is also important to remember the trial is not about whether any of the defendants or who they interacted with broke NCAA rules. The trial is about whether these defendants broke any federal laws.

The reason you have not heard much is because the judge has kept the trial very focused on the charges against the defendants, not whether activities broke NCAA regulations. To his credit, that is what he is supposed to do as a judge.

My bet is that the feds have alot of evidence of NCAA wrongdoing, whether the NCAA ever sees it and gets to do anything with it is another matter. The Feds still have 2 more trials scheduled after this one - one in the winter and one next spring - there is no way they will share any evidence with the NCAA before those 2 trials are complete. and assuming they do share the information with the NCAA there is no guarantee the public will ever hear any of it. That would be up to the NCAA at that point. The NCAA can use now any evidence that was presented during the trial, so there are a couple of schools - notably Kansas and L'ville and possibly MD that they could likely go after now if they really wanted to.

I wonder if any of that evidence is subject to any Freedom of Information Act provisions whereby the uNCAA wouldn't be able to just sit on potentially damning stuff against ... certain schools.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Interesting .... although that Patel guy appears to be a UNC fan so TIFWIW ....

Later, the defense attempted to enter into the record a transcript of a recorded conversation in which then-Adidas consultant Merl Code told Townsend that Williamson’s father was “asking for opportunities from an occupational prospective. He's asking for money in the pocket. And he's asking for housing for him and the family." According to Moore’s reading, Townsend responded, "I've got to just try to work and figure out a way. Because if that's what it takes to get him for 10 months, we're going to have to do it some way."

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...on-trial-kansas-zion-williamson-will-wade-lsu

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Haha, Wetzel is clearly not a K fan. The tone of this article is almost over the line ... and I love it ...

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-even-dare-investigate-zion-williamson-now-hes-duke-043518120.html

So, what you have here allegedly is a Kansas assistant answering affirmatively to a middleman expressing the demands of the father of a top prospect – every one of which is a dead-red NCAA violation.

While that isn’t good for Kansas, it also begs a question: If K.U. was indeed willing to do this and Zion Williamson actually signed not with K.U. but instead with Duke, then what were the Blue Devils, or their interests (boosters, affiliated agents, Nike), willing to do?

Does anyone out there believe the NCAA is really, truly going to investigate Duke? And not some cursory, rubber-stamp, we-found-nothing-now-please-enjoy-the-NCAA-tournament-starring-Zion-Williamson attempt, presented by all of the commercials starring Mike Krzyzewski.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if any of that evidence is subject to any Freedom of Information Act provisions whereby the uNCAA wouldn't be able to just sit on potentially damning stuff against ... certain schools.

I don’t claim legal beagle status but I don’t think there is a way the FBI could selectively share information with a private organization like the NCAA and not any one else. The lawsuits from the press would be legendary.

There are ways that pretty much anything introduced at trial is made public. Not sure about the stuff left on the cutting room floor

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
It certainly appears that Mr. Little and his family were clean and good solid folk.

I will still always hate that they chose UNC and feel like UNC is a cheating school because of its academic issues.

I am not sure how to reconcile those two unless the Little's simply cared about preparing their son for the NBA, and cared nothing about the underlying education.

But then, if I listen to some of our football message boards, that would mean Nassir was not the right guy for GT and shouldn't have come here anyway.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Management employees in a corporation break the law and the CEO takes the fall. “Didn’t know about it” is an indictment rather than an excuse. Apparently this is not the case in college sports.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Taking Pat Forde's word on anything related to Duke, Kansas or UNC is questionable. The man has been Kentucky's mouthpiece for at least a decade. He consistently says Kentucky doesn't cheat, Calipari is clean, etc.

No clue what K was thinking with his bizarre denial of the obvious, but I've had Forde on ignore for years

FYI, you almost have this right, but exactly wrong. Forde lived in Louisville for 17 years and has always been a big supporter / mouth piece for UL and Rick Pitino (he actually co-authored a book with Rick Pitino). He has been somewhat neutral on Kentucky over the years until Calipari got there. It is well known that Forde strongly dislikes Calipari and has been trying to bust him for years. He constantly makes snide remarks about UK and has written many articles slamming Cal and UK for hiring Cal:

http://www.espn.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&sportCat=ncb&id=4213475

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/you-made-your-bed-john-calipari--now-lie-in-it-233738456-ncaab.html

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/1/honesty-from-the-sports-media/

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Oh he'll definitely be in the NBA by then. They won't punish Duke so my guess is they'll just choose to remove his stats from his college career as punishment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Interesting questions being asked about Will Wade at LSU following the inadmissable revelations involving him ...

https://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2018/10/will_wade_needs_to_come_clean.html

Thanks to revelations from the ongoing federal corruption case regarding NCAA basketball, we just might be learning why LSU suddenly -- almost magically -- has become a destination location for so many elite basketball recruits.

.. there's a couple other SEC schools that have 'suddenly' become hoops prospect magnets.