Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Oh, Pitino knew [... and Zimmerman flew]
I don't know if Pitino knew or not. I do know that if a major program's basketball coach does not know hookers are being provided recruits, it makes no difference. The whole team had to be buzzing with that, and no 18-year-old kid could keep his mouth shut over that kind of "conquest". Jeez. Pitino must think the world is made up of idiots.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if Pitino knew or not. I do know that if a major program's basketball coach does not know hookers are being provided recruits, it makes no difference. The whole team had to be buzzing with that, and no 18-year-old kid could keep his mouth shut over that kind of "conquest". Jeez. Pitino must think the world is made up of idiots.

Not to mention anyone else that saw hookers going in and out of a dorm talking about it.

Willful negligence.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A poster said that Sexton was set to be a signature recruiting win for Pastner, then the Bama commit came out of nowhere. Guess it was the money that came from somewhere:

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
A poster said that Sexton was set to be a signature recruiting win for Pastner, then the Bama commit came out of nowhere. Guess it was the money that came from somewhere:

Maybe but will say bama had been on him for years. Longer than tech. Think a lot of the blue bloods were after him too?
Guessing bama is a nike school? I don't doubt there are plenty of bama boosters with bags of cash though.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I hope this thing explodes in the NCAA's face. I would LOVE to see media exposes and articles and news stories about how corrupt the sport has become. Moreover, I would really love to see the academic elites (aka university presidents) decide they can no longer cooperate with such corruption and decide to form a new organization and leave the NCAA high and dry.

Not that any of that would change human behavior, but at least it might do away with the worst abuses of the NCAA....

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I hope this thing explodes in the NCAA's face. I would LOVE to see media exposes and articles and news stories about how corrupt the sport has become. Moreover, I would really love to see the academic elites (aka university presidents) decide they can no longer cooperate with such corruption and decide to form a new organization and leave the NCAA high and dry.

Not that any of that would change human behavior, but at least it might do away with the worst abuses of the NCAA....

I agree they should get together and form their own organization to run college sports rather than a 3rd party.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Again, only posting these because they're interesting, not because I think anything will come of them ...

I can't tell if this exonerates Pitino, to some degree, or not.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I agree they should get together and form their own organization to run college sports rather than a 3rd party.

550.jpg

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I have always thought Emmert has pictures of half the college presidents to stay in the job. If ever there was a company/organization that needed a new start and a new face it is the NCAA. One of their biggest issues is they can't put Emmert out in front of anything because he has zero credibility with anyone. There must be some consensus behind the scenes that he is the only caretaker the presidents can agree on.

College sports has a big chance to blow up under his "leadership".

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have always thought Emmert has pictures of half the college presidents to stay in the job. If ever there was a company/organization that needed a new start and a new face it is the NCAA. One of their biggest issues is they can't put Emmert out in front of anything because he has zero credibility with anyone. There must be some consensus behind the scenes that he is the only caretaker the presidents can agree on.

College sports has a big chance to blow up under his "leadership".

Nah.

Gotta ask yourself, what is his actual job? What have the actual outcomes been after all these messes?

Money's still rollin' in and it's still green = Mark Emmert's just fine with college presidents.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

I get your point, but isn't part (if not all) of the problem that the NCAA is funded, supported, etc. by the member schools? I don't see any way to level the playing field short of a separate body that operates independently of the colleges, and that could cause a different set of problems. But it's probably worth considering.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nah.

Gotta ask yourself, what is his actual job? What have the actual outcomes been after all these messes?

Money's still rollin' in and it's still green = Mark Emmert's just fine with college presidents.

I have this strange idea his job is to be out in front of this scandal stuff and challenges to amateurism to maybe keep the image of college sports a bit (no really a lot) more to the positive side than it is. He can't get in front of anything without getting run over - thus, the NCAA can't get in front of anything and simply become punching bag for anyone who wants to throw a punch.

If the idea is he is fine until the green stops rolling then that is way too late.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I have this strange idea his job is to be out in front of this scandal stuff and challenges to amateurism to maybe keep the image of college sports a bit (no really a lot) more to the positive side than it is. He can't get in front of anything without getting run over - thus, the NCAA can't get in front of anything and simply become punching bag for anyone who wants to throw a punch.

If the idea is he is fine until the green stops rolling then that is way too late.

Heh. You're looking for him/them to be proactive? :ROFLMAO: I literally lol'd at that notion.

First, I think it's important to say that you and I agree on what should be happening. I've just lost all faith in that organization to do whatever is moderately 'right' in a scenario.

I imagine they have, or at least think they have, support at some higher governmental levels such that none of this stuff bothers them. They'll simply chalk it up to isolated bad actors at the schools, shoe companies and agencies. Watch, they'll push the message that 'oh hey, everything's good now that those guys are gone.'

Ridiculous.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's the engineer in me. I have this idea things/people/Emmert should be productive. I should know better I know but being a half full kind of guy, I still hold out hope.