Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've resigned to the fact that nothing substantive will come out of all this but this trial still has some comedic value ...

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
From the article: Kaplan referred to the four schools as “victim universities,” because the defendants allegedly conspired to make the players ineligible by paying them or their families.

Lol since some of these schools were onboard to pay players. Victims hah.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Check the list of “interested individuals” / potentially subpoenaed witnesses. Some familiar and interesting names plus a couple still in HS This will be fascinating to watch

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given the defense that Gatto is using, going to be alot of schools mentioned.
Brian Bowen's dad's testimony could be very interesting. He was given immunity. Will he say Pitino knew?

I don't know how DeSousa is going to be eligible at Kansas. In opening statements it was said he was paid $20K by Adidas to get out of the $20K UA had paid him to go to MD.

The other trial that could be quite interesting is when they get to Merl Code. He was a Adidas when he was arrested, but had been running Nike's AAU program until a year earlier when he left for Adidas.

If this evidence is eventually turned over to the NCAA it is going to be hard for them to do nothing (though that is going to be what they want to do given college basketball is their revenue stream and the schools involved).

FWIW, Zion Williamson's name came up as someone that might be mentioned during the selection of jury members.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Process question. Hearing oral arguments / testimony is great but I am not sure the NCAA can act on that?

When will documents, wiretaps, and other "stuff" from the trial become public information and publically available for the NCAA to access and use for prosecution/enforcement on their end?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Process question. Hearing oral arguments / testimony is great but I am not sure the NCAA can act on that?

When will documents, wiretaps, and other "stuff" from the trial become public information and publically available for the NCAA to access and use for prosecution/enforcement on their end?

They'll find a way to not act on the evidence.

ETA:

Mark Emmert - "Uh yeah, it was evidence for the trial but not evidence for NCAA investigations purposes so ... uh ... inadmissable ... I object!!"

Reporters - "Uhm, whut?"

Mark - "I watch Law & Order ... duhn, duhn, duhn, duhnt, duhhhnt."

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, this is funny, regardless of schools. It's easy to imagine potential jurors taking this and running with it throughout the selection process.
Roughly 50 potential jurors were vetted on Monday, and 18 will ultimately be chosen. Kaplan asked for potential conflicts of interest from the jury pool, a request that brought several humorous moments. One man said he was a season ticket-holder for UConn, and another man then said he was a diehard Syracuse fan.

“Syracuse University,” he said for emphasis, “and notthe University of Connecticut.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
More tidbits ...

More ...

And, before @RonJohn yells at me, I don't think these were illegal. Maybe violated NCAA rules in the timing but unlikely. Borzello goes on to tweet to that effect, btw.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Given the defense that Gatto is using, going to be alot of schools mentioned.
Brian Bowen's dad's testimony could be very interesting. He was given immunity. Will he say Pitino knew?

I don't know how DeSousa is going to be eligible at Kansas. In opening statements it was said he was paid $20K by Adidas to get out of the $20K UA had paid him to go to MD.

The other trial that could be quite interesting is when they get to Merl Code. He was a Adidas when he was arrested, but had been running Nike's AAU program until a year earlier when he left for Adidas.

If this evidence is eventually turned over to the NCAA it is going to be hard for them to do nothing (though that is going to be what they want to do given college basketball is their revenue stream and the schools involved).

FWIW, Zion Williamson's name came up as someone that might be mentioned during the selection of jury members.

Oh, Pitino knew [... and Zimmerman flew]