Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
That's kind of a big deal. First to ever be forced to vacate a Nat'l title? Sounding like the UNCAA is willing to lop off Lville, under the guise of 'yeah, we'll punish a blue blood, as long as it gets to keep UK, UNC, Duke?

I wondered about this statement and decided to research it. They are the first to vacate a title but several runner-ups had to vacate their appearance and wins, some over a period of years. Interesting read about vacated Final Four appearances at the following link:

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/03/all-time_ncaa_mens_basketball.html

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
No loss of scholarships
No reduction of off campus recruiters
No show cause (aside from the one already given to McGee)
No limitations on the program moving forward in regards to recruiting.

In public Louisville has to play like they are offended

In the big office they are slugging Martinis and smoking big cigars

From the ESPN link:

The Cardinals also were placed on NCAA probation for four years, which includes scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a $5,000 fine and the forfeiture of any money received through conference revenue sharing from the 2012-15 NCAA tournaments. That sum could be as much as $15 million, according to published reports. The Cardinals had already self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2015-16 season.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmm.... 1996 UMass and 2006 Memphis... All Cal needs is a 2016 Kentucky and he's got the trifecta!

And did someone really put "academic year" and Louisville in the same sentence?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
From the ESPN link:

The Cardinals also were placed on NCAA probation for four years, which includes scholarship reductions and recruiting restrictions, a $5,000 fine and the forfeiture of any money received through conference revenue sharing from the 2012-15 NCAA tournaments. That sum could be as much as $15 million, according to published reports. The Cardinals had already self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2015-16 season.

Dammit, read the Bleacher Report link and ran with it......

It didnt appear to hinder Louisville the last couple years as much as it did Syracuse either which is strange.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the big name schools need to be worried about now. The underpinnings for the NCAA business model are fundamentally flawed if they cannot enforce the rules their member institutions have accepted. This seems like an existential moment for their governance of college sports. Whatever the FBI releases could open the doors of the NCAA jailhouse.

If we had a Final Four without the bluebloods for 3 or 4 years would that be worse than a tournament without any of the Cinderella teams?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'm being slow, perhaps per usual...

Today's announcement re: Louisville is regarding use of strippers, among other things, that were brought to light years ago.

Subsequently they were found to have participated in the Adidas kickbacks, where Louisville bought players in a different way. This investigation and punishment is still to come.

Am I correct? In other words, all "you people" as @kg01 likes to say, are off topic?
Dammit, read the Bleacher Report link and ran with it......

It didnt appear to hinder Louisville the last couple years as much as it did Syracuse either which is strange.
My understanding based on glancing at links in this thread is that Louisville's scholarship restrictions haven't started yet, correct?

Or is Louisville's scholarship "punishment" limited to Louisville's self-imposed single scholarship reduction? That would be nothing like Syracuse's 4/year over 4 years that was negotiated down to 3/year, with only 2 of 4 coaches allowed on the road to recruit.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Found an answer to my question re: scholarship reductions that was handed down summer 2017 (unless something's changed since then)
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvi...caa-levies-penalties-against-u-of-l-mens.html

Louisville is on 4 years probation as of June 15, 2017.

Scholarship penalty reads as follows:
"A reduction in men’s basketball scholarships by two during the 2016-17 year, self-imposed by the university. Additionally, the university must reduce men's basketball scholarships by four during the probation period. The university may take the reductions during any year of that period."

If that is 4 total, not 4/year, it's a big meh relative to Syracuse. Looks like all coaches can travel off campus for recruiting going forward, too.

Also if we're off topic I can move this to discussion to another thread. Still too slow to figure it out, unless this was part of the original thread.
Here's the full list of the infractions as outlined by the NCAA:

• Public reprimand and censure for the university.
  • Four years of probation from June 15, 2017, through June 14, 2021.
  • A suspension from the first five ACC games of the 2017-18 season for head coach Pitino. During the suspension, he may not be present in the arena where the games are played and may have no contact with the student-athletes or members of his coaching staff. Pitino also may not participate in any activities, including team travel, practice, video study and team meetings.
  • A 10-year show-cause period for the former operations director from June 15, 2017, through June 14, 2027. During that period, any NCAA member school employing the former coach must restrict him from holding any athletics-related duties and from having any contact with prospects and their families. Andre McGee was U of L's former operations director. It's not clear whether the "former coach" reference is to McGee.
  • A one-year show-cause order for the former program assistant from June 15, 2017, through June 14, 2018. During that period, any NCAA member school employing him can schedule an appearance before a panel of the Committee on Infractions to determine whether he should be subject to show-cause provisions. It was not clear who the former program assistant is.
  • A vacation of basketball records in which student-athletes competed while ineligible from December 2010 to July 2014. The university will provide a written report containing the games impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 45 days of the public decision release.
  • A reduction in men’s basketball scholarships by two during the 2016-17 year, self-imposed by the university. Additionally, the university must reduce men's basketball scholarships by four during the probation period. The university may take the reductions during any year of that period.
  • A prohibition of men’s basketball coaching travel during the April 2016 recruiting period, resulting in a reduction of men’s basketball recruiting opportunities by 30, also self-imposed by the university.
  • A reduction of recruiting travel during the July 2016 recruiting period by six days, also self-imposed by the university.
  • A reduction in the number of men’s basketball official visits to a total of 10 during the 2015-16 year. Additionally, the university will have no more than a total of 16 visits during the 2016-17 and 2017-18 years, also self-imposed by the university.
  • During the probation period, men’s basketball prospects on unofficial visits may not stay overnight in any campus dorms or school-owned property.
  • A disassociation of the former operations director, self-imposed by the university. The public decision describes the details of his disassociation.
  • A $5,000 fine, self-imposed by the university. The university also must return to the NCAA the money received through conference revenue sharing for its appearances in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championships. Future revenue distributions that are scheduled to be provided to the university from those tournaments also must be withheld by the conference and forfeited to the NCAA.
  • A postseason ban for the men’s basketball team for the 2015-16 season, self-imposed by the university.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm being slow, perhaps per usual...

Today's announcement re: Louisville is regarding use of strippers, among other things, that were brought to light years ago.

Subsequently they were found to have participated in the Adidas kickbacks, where Louisville bought players in a different way. This investigation and punishment is still to come.

Am I correct? In other words, all "you people" as @kg01 likes to say, are off topic?

My understanding based on glancing at links in this thread is that Louisville's scholarship restrictions haven't started yet, correct?

Or is Louisville's scholarship "punishment" limited to Louisville's self-imposed single scholarship reduction? That would be nothing like Syracuse's 4/year over 4 years that was negotiated down to 3/year, with only 2 of 4 coaches allowed on the road to recruit.
I think you are correct that the announcement appeal denial today was for the "Strippers" case. If my memory is correct, the case involving the FBI investigation has not been included in any public statements by the NCAA and was not a part of the penalties now being imposed.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Found an answer to my question re: scholarship reductions that was handed down summer 2017 (unless something's changed since then)
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvi...caa-levies-penalties-against-u-of-l-mens.html

Louisville is on 4 years probation as of June 15, 2017.

Scholarship penalty reads as follows:
"A reduction in men’s basketball scholarships by two during the 2016-17 year, self-imposed by the university. Additionally, the university must reduce men's basketball scholarships by four during the probation period. The university may take the reductions during any year of that period."

If that is 4 total, not 4/year, it's a big meh relative to Syracuse. Looks like all coaches can travel off campus for recruiting going forward, too.

Also if we're off topic I can move this to discussion to another thread. Still too slow to figure it out, unless this was part of the original thread.
This is on topic because we need to figure out how to tamper with Nwora to get him to GT.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
L'ville's punishment is specifically related to the stripper case. It has nothing to do with Adidas and Brian Bowen. I'm not even sure NCAA has started that investigation yet. Remember, at this point the NCAA doesn't have any information to go on, that is all under lock and key with the US District Attorney's office.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
L'ville's punishment is specifically related to the stripper case. It has nothing to do with Adidas and Brian Bowen. I'm not even sure NCAA has started that investigation yet. Remember, at this point the NCAA doesn't have any information to go on, that is all under lock and key with the US District Attorney's office.

I seriously doubt they've even started. Remember, the "investigation" will entail simply reading whatever the FBI's findings are, cut/pasting the relevant parts, finding the email addresses of various SID's, then patiently awaiting responses.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I seriously doubt they've even started. Remember, the "investigation" will entail simply reading whatever the FBI's findings are, cut/pasting the relevant parts, finding the email addresses of various SID's, then patiently awaiting responses.

I wish I disagreed with this but I do not.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Whoa, this sounds like some people might actually get nailed. It’s official, I’m interested.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-sp...t-scheme-hoops-corruption-case-001618078.html

There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” said a source familiar with the investigation. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.”

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
Whoa, this sounds like some people might actually get nailed. It’s official, I’m interested.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-sp...t-scheme-hoops-corruption-case-001618078.html

There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” said a source familiar with the investigation. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.”

Seems Miller had some ties to Clemson

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That article lists a number of ASM (Miller's company) clients that have left ASM since the scandal broke, 3 were former Clemson players - Booker, Blossomgame and McDaniels

The real keys are this. First, will the NCAA get its hands on this info, if it does then alot really could happen. Second, is Miller cooperating with the Feds and if so will he be able to turn any other agents in, I don't believe for a second that he was the only agent involved in the game. The article mentions ASM paying more than three times the number of players it signed.