Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Deleted member 2897

This sounds like several politicians' "thoughts and prayers" comments last week. It sounds good, but doesn't actually say anything meaningful.

I get the humor in this, but its a little distasteful to insult Christians like that. Science also backs it up that prayer does work, aside from any religious beliefs.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I get the humor in this, but its a little distasteful to insult Christians like that. Science also backs it up that prayer does work, aside from any religious beliefs.

He wasn't trying to insult Christians. He was suggesting that the politicians were being disingenuous in their comments. IOW, they were citing 'thoughts/prayers' but when it comes to actually doing anything within their power they were balking.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Big HELL no to getting away with amateurism. The biggest factor for me in what makes college sports great. I would lose so much interest.
If you or anyone else can't get on board with the concept that scholarship money isn't enough & these kids should get a piece of the pie they're pivotal in creating, then feel free to lose interest.

Amateurism is a crock of bull****. That's literally a fact. A facade doesn't add value to something.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Meal with an agent is not a violation. Agent paying is a violation, but is considered a minor if the benefit (athlete / family portion) is less than $200. Can be rectified by athlete or family donating same amount to a charity of their choice. That's NCAA by laws.

So if athletes had lunch with agent and agent paid $200 or less for their meal, the family donates that amount to any 501c3 and athlete can play as many games as they want.

Bam Adebayo and Dennis Smith are a completely different story. $73,000 in loans to D Smith? That's gonna hurt

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
@dtm1997 interesting.... no mention of K, Roy, Izzo, Self etc in the article. Yahoo's "evidence" shows Carter's mom received less than $100 impermissible meal. Anything else tying "Saint Krzyzewski" to anything? Nope. Other players that appear to have gotten similar meals include Brice Johnson and Blossomgame. Just another twitter idiot trying to drum up clicks

Brian Bowen has a problem. Several thousand in airfare, hotel and meals for him and family.

Michael & Malik Beasley are in for several thousand as well.

Interesting to note, Nas Little is not on any of this anywhere. I'm happy to see that :)

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
@dtm1997 interesting.... no mention of K, Roy, Izzo, Self etc in the article. Yahoo's "evidence" shows Carter's mom received less than $100 impermissible meal. Anything else tying "Saint Krzyzewski" to anything? Nope. Other players that appear to have gotten similar meals include Brice Johnson and Blossomgame. Just another twitter idiot trying to drum up clicks

Brian Bowen has a problem. Several thousand in airfare, hotel and meals for him and family.

Interesting to note, Nas Little is not on any of this anywhere. I'm happy to see that :)

If you are waiting to see a check from K it isn't going to happen. It is a mafia-like structure where there will be multiple layers of deniability despite an obvious connection to whom receives the ultimate benefit.

"The family had a lot of buffers." - Willi Cicci, The Godfather Part II

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I get that you're an undercover dook fan. The evidence presented today is what's available from an agent. Not the bags Capel is dropping all over the country.

BTW, the Coaching Changes twitter feed doesn't have a website, so what clicks are they drumming up?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If you are waiting to see a check from K it isn't going to happen. It is a mafia-like structure where there will be multiple layers of deniability despite an obvious connection to whom receives the ultimate benefit.

"The family had a lot of buffers." - Willi Cicci, The Godfather Part II

No dope on the table......

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that this scandal will be the undoing of Rat Face. I know it seems like an impossible hill to climb because he's the ultimate "Don" but even if he himself isn't caught red handed the smoke around what his "capos" are doing will be enough to make him walk away in an effort to try and save his legacy. Might blame it on health issues or something.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
So, no evidence of any kind linking K, Capel or anyone else at Duke to this mess. (Or UNC, Kansas, Mich State....) but the Coaching Changes nozzle says that the evidence shows K is no saint and that he has used an agent as his lead recruiter. And you constantly say Capel is dropping bags all over the place.

Interesting.... There is an active lawsuit against CJP. One assistant is still under investigation and had to quit. Two players broke NCAA rules and were suspended. Seems to me the only evidence so far is piling up on Tech and not much on the blue bloods.

Lots more shoes to drop in the FBI case and it will be interesting to see what they have and on which schools. I have no idea, but I assume it's not as wide spread as the click bait headlines are asserting. If evidence shows Capel is paying players, hasta la vista. Ditto for any coach. But i'll wait to see what evidence there is, just like I will about CJP. (I think Ron / Miracle Whip is a nut job and don't believe the tales in the lawsuit. But I am skeptical of the "I didn't know anything" about the trip to AZ, the shoes, etc.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Do you genuinely think K is beating everybody in the country on the recruiting trail ... all these places doling out tens of thousands ... just because?

He went from never pursuing 1-and-done guys (who are clearly being paid) to never missing on 1-and-done guys? Just because?

(I'm happy to get to yell at you in anger again. It's been far too long.)

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think K & Calipari can get pretty much whoever they want from the OAD set these days. They've both shown that kids who go there for a year are virtually guaranteed a lottery pick (or non-lottery first round). That means millions guaranteed for three years, at a minimum. Self is probably in that same boat these days, too.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you genuinely think K is beating everybody in the country on the recruiting trail ... all these places doling out tens of thousands ... just because?

He went from never pursuing 1-and-done guys (who are clearly being paid) to never missing on 1-and-done guys? Just because?

(I'm happy to get to yell at you in anger again. It's been far too long.)

No ****! Anxiously awaiting the explanation/excuse on this one. I'll hang up and listen.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think K & Calipari can get pretty much whoever they want from the OAD set these days. They've both shown that kids who go there for a year are virtually guaranteed a lottery pick (or non-lottery first round). That means millions guaranteed for three years, at a minimum. Self is probably in that same boat these days, too.

So you're saying they get the ones who don't want to be paid? The ones who they lose, those are the ones getting paid?

Well, seems Carter's mom did get paid (by one agent that we know of).

We also see several of Cal's recruits got paid.

Compose your thoughts again before you respond. That weak sauce won't get past me today, bro. I'm message board Mutombo up in dis.

200w.gif

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If you or anyone else can't get on board with the concept that scholarship money isn't enough & these kids should get a piece of the pie they're pivotal in creating, then feel free to lose interest.

Amateurism is a crock of bull****. That's literally a fact. A facade doesn't add value to something.

I guess I need to lose interest :( Just to add a few things to your value consideration - first athletes get put to the front of the line for admission to universities that can be life changing admissions. Not talking about the 20 or so that may go to the NBA but the thousands that get to the head of the line at all institutions including the Ivies. Second, if it was all about the players then the G League would be blowing the NCAA basketball games out of the water ratings wise as the talent in the G League is the stars of the college game. People watch due to their attachment to the university and attraction to the college "experience".

If you want to jigger things to give "something" more to athletes then OK. If you want a full professional model then I guess I do need to go away. And FWIW most reasonable analysis I have seen say there are a very small group of athletes in college that move the needle or create value themselves but the vast majority are just part of the process and already way more than adequately compensated.

The con to my argument - and the thing that honestly pisses me off - is the tact the NCAA and especially its member institutions/conferences have taken the tact that they should attempt to maximize every dollar they can get which has simply gone into coaches/administrator salaries and a way over the top facility arms race. I don't have a good answer to the dichotomy here. Other than making athletes in college "professionals" pisses me off even more.