Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It what way do you guys believe he isn't clean?
I think Jeff Capel is dropping bags all over the country, for starters.

I've heard some other interesting stories that would put the rat in rat face, while they arrange for some other shady ****.

Lord knows what the Iron dooks are facilotatifa for a private university.

Bottom line is if it happens under his watch, it's on him.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmm.... "I think" and "I heard".... Meanwhile we've been busted this year for impermissible benefits and an assistant coach got canned. I'd mworry more about our own house before following the latest conspiracy theory that explains why we can only beat Duke once every 15 years

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hmmmmm.... "I think" and "I heard".... Meanwhile we've been busted this year for impermissible benefits and an assistant coach got canned. I'd mworry more about our own house before following the latest conspiracy theory that explains why we can only beat Duke once every 15 years

Never said I wasn't worried about our own house. I've never been naive about what goes on in Atlanta.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
It what way do you guys believe he isn't clean?

Simply by the transitive property youcan almost safely assume that something shady is going on there.

Think about Jahvon Quinerly, the #21 recruit in 2018, apparently getting money from Arizona.

Brian Bowen, the #18 recruit in last years class, being worth $100k.

You think someone didn’t offer Barrett, Reddish, Williamson and Jones any cash and they STILL chose Durham? Maybe one or two based on tradition but all 4? Please. I live 45 minutes from Durham, when I turn on the news in 18 minutes id be willing to bet at least one person was shot last night, not really a fantastic place. There really isn’t anything there other than Duke. Coach K is a draw because he’s a great coach but so is John Beilein and he isn’t landing any of these guys.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Never said I wasn't worried about our own house. I've never been naive about what goes on in Atlanta.

Tsk, tsk, dtm. Don't you know we, as fans, are not allowed to comment on the goings on at other places unless we have the smoking gun and a squeaky clean record ourselves. :rolleyes:

Put me in "I'll believe they'll be punished once it happens" camp, btw. All the supposed evidence and blustering by the feds sounds daunting but so did all the fake class evidence against UNC.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Put me in "I'll believe they'll be punished once it happens" camp

This. Times 100.

I think most of the money will be found going between sneaker companies and AAU coaches or other runners. Supposed to steer a company to specific agents or advisors, post college. I doubt many instances will directly involve assistant or head coaches directly. Also doubt Nike or Adidas had the temerity to pay athletes directly.

Will there be a lot of smoke around most top programs? I think so. It would surprise me if many current and past players weren’t implicated. Similar to Derrick Rose, Chris Webber, Corey Maggette, the Rush brothers etc.

I could be wrong (it’s just speculation on my part) but I think that’s what theyve got. If they had evidence that K, Roy, Self, etc we’re directly linked to paying players, it would’ve been blasted on every global media outlet the next day. The fact they’ve been looking at the evidence for at least six months and have just leaked hints tells me they’ve got nothing to directly implicate anyone big.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This. Times 100.

I think most of the money will be found going between sneaker companies and AAU coaches or other runners. Supposed to steer a company to specific agents or advisors, post college. I doubt many instances will directly involve assistant or head coaches directly. Also doubt Nike or Adidas had the temerity to pay athletes directly.

Will there be a lot of smoke around most top programs? I think so. It would surprise me if many current and past players weren’t implicated. Similar to Derrick Rose, Chris Webber, Corey Maggette, the Rush brothers etc.

I could be wrong (it’s just speculation on my part) but I think that’s what theyve got. If they had evidence that K, Roy, Self, etc we’re directly linked to paying players, it would’ve been blasted on every global media outlet the next day. The fact they’ve been looking at the evidence for at least six months and have just leaked hints tells me they’ve got nothing to directly implicate anyone big.

As much as it pains me, I must say I agree totally with Michael Strahan. ;)

It smells like they put that threat out to try and generate self-incriminating calls but coaches closed ranks. That's my speculation. The "thousands of hours of calls" comments make it sound like they've got every coach in the country on tape. The reality is that's probably hours and hours of calls from the guys who were already indicted plus calls obtained via Andy Miller's agency.

Speaking of Miller, he'll likely be the person (not already indicted) who'll face some form of major penalties.

On Krysadlasldha;gski, RoyBoy and others, the UNCAA is probably waiting to see what evidence actually exists. Likely, if they want (which they don't), there will probably be enough to actually ding them for some secondary violations and such. But, as I've been saying for years, the UNCAA doesn't really want to have to punish any of them.

My hope is that the FBI is just playing coy, biding their time, building their case and actually does effect tremendous change in all amateur sports. That would make sense considering that whole supposed 95% or w/e conviction rate. Although I imagine that figures a bit inflated.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Never heard anyone with any integrity or credibility accuse K of anything. Fans of other schools? Sure. That means less than nothing. I will be very surprised if K is implicated in anything. I would not be blown away if someone connected to the Duke program may have done something. (I don't know of anything specific, but I think every school may have an affiliated person who has broken rules.)

Coach K = Stringer Bell

never in the room with dope on the table.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Simply by the transitive property youcan almost safely assume that something shady is going on there.

Think about Jahvon Quinerly, the #21 recruit in 2018, apparently getting money from Arizona.

Brian Bowen, the #18 recruit in last years class, being worth $100k.

You think someone didn’t offer Barrett, Reddish, Williamson and Jones any cash and they STILL chose Durham? Maybe one or two based on tradition but all 4? Please. I live 45 minutes from Durham, when I turn on the news in 18 minutes id be willing to bet at least one person was shot last night, not really a fantastic place. There really isn’t anything there other than Duke. Coach K is a draw because he’s a great coach but so is John Beilein and he isn’t landing any of these guys.
Only a single shooting?!? We get those per hr in Flint. Lol

Deleted member 2897

This. Times 100.

I think you are correct here. But here is the thing - I contend these guys know this stuff is going on. They are incredibly smart, like lawyer smart. I don't think any of them is stupid enough to actually get involved with giving money to players or anything like that. But high school coaches, apparel companies, bag men - those are the people that are doing it that nobody is really watching. And until you got people's bank records, you could never prove it...which is why the FBI finally was able to flush some of this out. Think about Rick Pitino in Louisville - he was run out of town even though there is zero proof he was involved in paying Bowen $100k. The reality is he knew this was part of the game and knew it went on and just didn't get involved in it directly himself. This stuff happens in football and basketball. Its no coincidence that Clemson first took the huge positive step up in football recruiting several years ago at the same time that several players were posting information about getting paid.

The public persona of people like Roy Williams and Mike Kryzyzewski is that they are hard working, honorable men of integrity. But all you have to do is watch their mannerisms and mouths when anything goes wrong in a game and you'll quickly realize that's all BS. These guys curse the lords name in vain every single game, use the F word at referees, and worse. They are ultra-competitive guys who will drive over their own mother to win games. And so if it means there is some shady stuff going on behind the scenes with fake classes or money or gifts, then so be it - but don't tell them about it and don't include them in it.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This topic reminds me of this article

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...sketball-recruiting-isnt-getting-any-cleaner/

I think the biggest takeaways are first, most coaches keep themselves removed enough to have plausible deniability. Second, cheating is no longer the $100 handshakes and cash in envelopes. it is done through the AAU programs and show companies and agents that are all over the place during the AAU seasons.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...sketball-recruiting-isnt-getting-any-cleaner/

I think the biggest takeaways are first, most coaches keep themselves removed enough to have plausible deniability. Second, cheating is no longer the $100 handshakes and cash in envelopes. it is done through the AAU programs and show companies and agents that are all over the place during the AAU seasons.
Agreed - in football, a lot of times the broker is the church (as sad as that is to say). In basketball it's AAU programs and those associated.

Deleted member 2897

And as we've all discussed, the 1 and dones and 2 and dones have ruined the "student" part of "student athletes" in basketball. If you look at the academic requirements, they are a complete waste of time for anybody trying to get to the NBA before graduation:
http://www.ncaa.org/about/division-i-progress-toward-degree-requirements
* The first year is like the wild west, where you can do literally anything as long as you retain eligibility via the school's own rules.
* Prior to the start of your second year, you have to have completed 24 hours of class and you have to have 90% of the minimum GPA to be eligible (ie 1.8 GPA if its 2.0). So think about that - if you took about 10 hours of class a semester and 4 hours over the summer, and had a 1.8 GPA, you're good to continue on through year 2.
* Prior to the start of your third year, you have to have completed 40% of your degree, and have 95% of the minimum GPA (ie 1.9 GPA if its 2.0). So if you have been there 2 years + 2 summer semesters, you literally would have only had to have taken about 9 hours per semester worth of class and have a cumulative GPA of 1.9. Especially at schools not called Georgia Tech, imagine just how easy that is. I mean, that's not even really going to school.