Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hey now

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-...g-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

“The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. (NCAA officials declined a request for comment.) There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars.“

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hey now

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-...g-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html

“The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. (NCAA officials declined a request for comment.) There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools. The documents link some of the sport’s biggest current stars – Michigan State’s Miles Bridges, Alabama’s Collin Sexton and Duke’s Wendell Carter – to specific potential extra benefits for either the athletes or their family members. The amounts tied to players in the case range from basic meals to tens of thousands of dollars.“

You beat me to it, I was just reading the article! This is going to change CBB for damn sure!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This sounds like several politicians' "thoughts and prayers" comments last week. It sounds good, but doesn't actually say anything meaningful.

Hey, you leave that polito stuff in the gutter where it belongs. (Kidding, I totally agree.)

Also, any indigestion over two of the named kids being guys we were 'finalists' for? Or are we still thinking we probably had them until it was time to cut a check at which point we balked?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The key is Andy Miller. More specifically, what Miller has told the FBI that's still sealed.

We're just getting a snapshot. of some transactions (that were idiotically written down...but let's be honest, 98% of fans are happy they were). I have no doubt the FBI wants names attached to those figures and SAs in the document. Specifically, which coaches Miller's agency dealt with, which schools, etc. The FBI LOVES cases that involve big names that makes their careers.

Busting Coach K, Calipari, and Roy Williams are as big as you can get in college sports.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
So far, so good. The way this season has gone, it's good to see GT not involved in the drama yet. If like 50 teams get banned from tournament, GT could make the NIT

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What should happen is that the NCAA will finally change their stupid rules and let kids get money from agent if agents are willing to give it to them.

It doesn't mean an agent needs to funnel a kid to a specific school and what's interesting is that there's very little mention of that seeming to happen (not saying it doesn't) in the article.

Let the kids get paid.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm most interested in if Miller is going to give up other agents. i doubt his agency was the only one going after SA's.

Also, as mentioned above, this is just some of the documents. The article mentions most of the information is still under court seal.

Finally, nothing will happen until after the criminal cases are complete. I doubt the Feds will give that info to the NCAA until they are done. And those sheets were only through the end of 2015. The arrests came in the fall of 2017. Want to bet there are more up to date sheets the journalists didn't get to see.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So far, so good. The way this season has gone, it's good to see GT not involved in the drama yet. If like 50 teams get banned from tournament, GT could make the NIT

I'm still holding my breath out of an abundance of caution.

What should happen is that the NCAA will finally change their stupid rules and let kids get money from agent if agents are willing to give it to them.

It doesn't mean an agent needs to funnel a kid to a specific school and what's interesting is that there's very little mention of that seeming to happen (not saying it doesn't) in the article.

Let the kids get paid.

Why not institute the baseball (and I think hockey) deal where the kids can have contact with an agent but maintain amateur status?

I have no idea how/why that flies in baseball but in football/basketball it's like the devil's involved.

Well, I have some thoughts as to why. Similar to why fights in baseball/hockey are seen as 'oh boys will be boys' but in basketball/football it's like new legislation has to be passed if a fistfight breaks out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So let's talk about the elephant in the room: Of the players currently involved and have been named in the documents, does the NCAA send a letter to their respective schools telling them they have to sit out of games until these issues have been resolved...which won't be for years...which effectively means their college careers are over. Should they appeal and continue to play, and most will be in the NBA or gone by the time all the details come out, does the NCAA penalize the schools?

The NCAA reckoning is here.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm most interested in if Miller is going to give up other agents. i doubt his agency was the only one going after SA's.

Also, as mentioned above, this is just some of the documents. The article mentions most of the information is still under court seal.

Finally, nothing will happen until after the criminal cases are complete. I doubt the Feds will give that info to the NCAA until they are done. And those sheets were only through the end of 2015. The arrests came in the fall of 2017. Want to bet there are more up to date sheets the journalists didn't get to see.
These documents are likely become public during discovery. More and more people will know the juicy parts and someone in the media will get access.