Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Considering Martin was loosely investigated as part of that whole FBI mess, really curious he'd even bother with the Bowen kid. Bowen is applying for reinstatement but, I just don't see why Martin would take this risk. Kid isn't even all that good otherwise he'd just declare or go Euro.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just to tie up a couple FBI-related loose ends ...

Wiley (AUB) has been ruled ineligible for this year, considered eligible starting in '18-19

Melton (USC) - will not play this season, per the school, based on results of their internal investigation. Not sure what NCAA has ruled at this point

Of course, AUB announced another bball commitment yesterday so they just keep on rollin' ... somehow. :rolleyes:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
It’s crazy. All the schools’ only punishment is essentially having a big time recruit delayed a year from being able to play. Our involvement with one of the players’ in the FBI stuff, which wasn’t even related to fraud, is likely to get one of our coaches canned. Meanwhile Bruce Pearl who’s pretty much the scum of the earth and refuses to cooperate with his own AD continues to coach and recruit like nothing happened and legitimately may win coach of the year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
In case you're wondering why Frank Martin, who's own staff was in the FBI crosshairs to a degree, would take a chance on a guy who's dad accepted $100M (M = ,000, not millions) ....

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...owen-recruitment-eligibility-louisville-ncaa/

"When I started doing my legwork, every single person I talked to that has had any dealing with that young man or that family speaks about what a great, great kid he is," Martin said. "He didn't beat a girl up, he hasn't raped anybody, hasn't flunked 10 different drug tests. He's a good kid. He isn't a flunkie."

SMDH

Nothing has changed. For all the blustering threats from the FBI attorney dude, nothing substantive has come of it. Bidness as usual just a couple months later.

Meanwhile, as y'all have pointed out, GT has taken probably the 2nd largest punishment despite only being tangentially involved.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just to tie up a couple FBI-related loose ends ...

Wiley (AUB) has been ruled ineligible for this year, considered eligible starting in '18-19

Melton (USC) - will not play this season, per the school, based on results of their internal investigation. Not sure what NCAA has ruled at this point

Of course, AUB announced another bball commitment yesterday so they just keep on rollin' ... somehow. :rolleyes:

The best part of the Melton story is Metu tweeting at his own athletic department basically calling them p*****s

Deleted member 2897

Report on FBI investigation.
As many as 3 dozen schools could face NCAA penalties

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...uld-be-subject-to-ncaa-scrutiny-in-fbi-probe/

"It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top," a source reportedly told ESPN. "It's the teams that are already there."

3 dozen schools is over half of the programs in P5 athletics. They won't all be in the P5, but it would not surprise me if the overwhelming majority are. My gut tells me that 8 guys rated 5* don't all go to the same school to play football out of the kindness in their hearts. Likewise in basketball, I suspect we will see the same thing come out. And so far schools have been thumbing their noses at everyone. I mean South Carolina welcomed the guy Bowen with open arms that was banned from the NCAA because his Dad made $100,000 for his commitment to Louisville. To openly invite that guy into your school and help fight for his re-admission into the basketball program shows to the entire world on a big fat billboard that you don't give 2 craps about the rules or ethics or integrity.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
"could"

The interesting thing in that article is the mention of Augustine and the $$. It never made it to an "unnamed recruit" from the 1Family AAU program.

Deleted member 2897

"could"

The interesting thing in that article is the mention of Augustine and the $$. It never made it to an "unnamed recruit" from the 1Family AAU program.

Yea just CRAZY. Folks are going to take the UNCheat approach if you read between the lines - they're going to argue that actually YES they did all this stuff, but its not under the Feds' purview.

Second, they dropped charges against that 1 guy because he hadn't paid the athlete yet. Sounds like to me once he got the money paid to him they pounced...and forgot to wait until he forwarded the money on. How silly.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yea just CRAZY. Folks are going to take the UNCheat approach if you read between the lines - they're going to argue that actually YES they did all this stuff, but its not under the Feds' purview.

Second, they dropped charges against that 1 guy because he hadn't paid the athlete yet. Sounds like to me once he got the money paid to him they pounced...and forgot to wait until he forwarded the money on. How silly.

Or he just leveraged a shoe company for $150K and then told them to pound sand because, who are they going to complain to?