Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I doubt there is anything illegal about accepting money for playing basketball. Or for promising to play basketball at a particular university. If he was interviewed by the FBI and lied, now that is a very different matter.
That and IRS trouble if the allegations are true and the coach starts singing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just as an FYI, there were 7 indictments handed down this week in the FBI probe - one person who was not indicted was Brad Augustine - 1Family AAU coach.
Some legal analysts have suggested if an indictment wasn't handed down it possibly suggests the individual is cooperating with the FBI.

Dan Wetzel wrote that financial planner, Munish Sood, is also likely cooperating.

Eight of the 10 men have been indicted this week by a grand jury empaneled in New York. The contents of indictments and who hasn’t yet been indicted suggest the possibility that the first two defendants to cooperate with prosecutors could be Jonathan Brad Augustine, an AAU coach out of Florida, and Munish Sood, a financial planner from New Jersey.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-ho...speculation-might-talking-feds-193957085.html

Moreover, in court filings, the government requested “a continuance of 14 days” in the Sood case, “to engage in further discussions with defense counsel about the disposition of these cases” because “granting such a continuance best serves the ends of justice.” It was granted thru Nov. 9.

Yeah, I'd say the safe bet is that they're singing like canaries. Not sure why more haven't joined them.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The others probably think that what they were doing wasn’t wrong and feel that they will be cleared once they go to trial.

Wonder if they know what the conviction rate is for Federal Prosecutors - they don't lose many cases they bring to trial.

If i'm one of the other defendants - especially if I have had interactions with the 2 who haven't been indicted, i'm starting to get very nervous.
The longer you wait to flip, the less leniency they show on reduction of charges.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Wonder if they know what the conviction rate is for Federal Prosecutors - they don't lose many cases they bring to trial.

If i'm one of the other defendants - especially if I have had interactions with the 2 who haven't been indicted, i'm starting to get very nervous.
The longer you wait to flip, the less leniency they show on reduction of charges.
93%

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The others probably think that what they were doing wasn’t wrong and feel that they will be cleared once they go to trial.

I think you're right but that's pure arrogance on their parts.

I get that it seems like this is a situation where individuals are simply paying each other money. It seems like it's not illegal. But, think about it, these FBI people aren't doing this for fun.

If you go to trial, they're expecting to convict you. Otherwise, they wouldn't have brought the charges.

I read where the attorney for Dawkins is on his soapbox about not letting them "visit the sins of cbb on his client" or stte. I mean, I get it, Dawkins didn't start this mess but he's in it now. Telling him to ride it out, everything will be ok, is poor advice IMHO.

If they try to make this about 'well, cbb is dirty, we were just following business as usual', what do they expect the outcome to be? It's still illegal even if everybody accepted what they were doing. Therefore you. go. to. jail.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck

They don’t know or don’t care. Many of them
Have been “winners” their whole life so they feel they can win this as well.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you're right but that's pure arrogance on their parts.

I get that it seems like this is a situation where individuals are simply paying each other money. It seems like it's not illegal. But, think about it, these FBI people aren't doing this for fun.

If you go to trial, they're expecting to convict you. Otherwise, they wouldn't have brought the charges.

I read where the attorney for Dawkins is on his soapbox about not letting them "visit the sins of cbb on his client" or stte. I mean, I get it, Dawkins didn't start this mess but he's in it now. Telling him to ride it out, everything will be ok, is poor advice IMHO.

If they try to make this about 'well, cbb is dirty, we were just following business as usual', what do they expect the outcome to be? It's still illegal even if everybody accepted what they were doing. Therefore you. go. to. jail.
I fully agree. The FBI didn’t do all of this to slap
Someone on the wrist. They want people convicted and others to realize that they’ll be in prison if they do the same thing.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, When the FBI broke and Gary Parrish and Matt Norlander had their first podcast on it, one of Norlander's first comments was that he talked to alot of coaches, asst and HC, and almost every single one of them said "I had no idea this was illegal". Some of them didn't even think it was NCAA violations but all of them thought it was not against the law. To them, it was just the way the system works, nothing out of the ordinary.

What you forget sometimes, especially if it just seems part of the business or system is just because it seems common practice doesn't mean it is legal.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Dan Wetzel wrote that financial planner, Munish Sood, is also likely cooperating
Yeah, I'd say the safe bet is that they're singing like canaries. Not sure why more haven't joined them.

May not need but two. First two gets off Scott free. I’d be singing my heart out.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
May not need but two. First two gets off Scott free. I’d be singing my heart out.

Reading that link from @gtuberfan , sounds like the prosecutors could be trying to simply create the illusion that the 2 are cooperating in order to scare others into talking. Either way, this is gonna be interesting. I could totally see a "star witness" getting on the stand and recanting thereby getting all of them off. Some ol' late-90's Law & Order episode stuff.