Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Off the wall question and maybe it's been answered but with all these "bags" these kids and there families/handlers are getting when does the IRS start asking for there share? I know when I flip a house and it's a cash deal I'm damn well showing I made 50-75K profit. If not I'm getting railed at some point. You'd think it's a tax fraud with these payouts going on.
I asked the same question earlier in this thread. It's definitely tax fraud if it's not reported as income IMO and I'm really curious to see if the IRS does get involved. That $100k bag very quickly turns into a $65k bag.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The Rifleman indicted today along with Rashan Michel.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Reports-Chuck-Person-indicted-by-federal-grand-jury-110120380

Interesting note for those wondering about the families and the 'bags' they've accepted ...
The government is also seeking asset forfeiture "of any and all property, real and personal, that constitutes or is derived from proceeds traceable to the commission of said offenses, including but not limited to a sum of money in United States currency representing the amount of proceeds traceable to the commission of said offenses."

Perhaps "traceable" is the sticking point but it sounds like, if they can prove that $X amount went to the parents (likely via testimony and proof from cooperating defendants?), they're looking for $X amount to be paid back ... somehow.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The Rifleman indicted today along with Rashan Michel.

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Reports-Chuck-Person-indicted-by-federal-grand-jury-110120380

Interesting note for those wondering about the families and the 'bags' they've accepted ...

Perhaps "traceable" is the sticking point but it sounds like, if they can prove that $X amount went to the parents (likely via testimony and proof from cooperating defendants?), they're looking for $X amount to be paid back ... somehow.

Interestingly, Person was allegedly using wires to receive funds, which is dumb af.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yeah, looking like Sexton may never play a down for Bama :LOL: See what I did there? 'Cause it's ... well, anyway here's the link ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ineligible-being-identified-federal-complaint

Alabama officials declared freshman point guard Collin Sexton ineligible after they determined he was the unnamed player identified in a federal complaint against Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person and former NBA referee Rashan Michel, sources told ESPN on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN that Sexton's relationship with former AAU coach Christian Dawkins, who was arrested and named in a separate federal complaint related to the corruption probe, might also be an issue. Sources said Dawkins, from Saginaw, Michigan, was involved in Sexton's recruitment.

Sexton made official visits to three other Adidas-sponsored schools -- Kansas, NC State and Oklahoma State -- before signing with the Crimson Tide.

In a second meeting in New York in late July, an undercover law enforcement agent posing as Blazer's business partner gave Michel $12,500 and another $10,0000 to give to Staff Member 1. In late August, according to the FBI complaint, Michel arranged a meeting at an Atlanta restaurant with Staff Member 1, Blazer and the father of a highly ranked incoming freshman at Alabama. The FBI alleges the purpose of the meeting was for Staff Member 1 to introduce the player's father to Blazer, who wanted to work as the player's financial adviser when he turned pro.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Ohhh snap, it's hittin' the fan in Auburn-land ...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...pardy-cooperate-auburn-internal-investigation

Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl is refusing to cooperate in the school's internal investigation into his program, and university officials have advised him that that his job is in jeopardy if he doesn't, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Sources told ESPN that Pearl has refused to talk to attorneys conducting the university's investigation, and they've been yet unable to determine if Pearl was involved in NCAA violations or other wrongdoing because FBI agents seized his computers and cell phones as part of their investigation.

ETA: Curses! I've been dtm'd by @Techster

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pearl doesn't have a choice. What he says to Auburn is not privileged. So he talks to Auburn to save his job (possibly) and the FBI subpoenas everything he says and uses it against him to send him to jail. Or he can lie to Auburn to save his job and find himself being contradicted by stuff the FBI has already.

He has an eye of a needle to try to get through and it sounds like Awbie is shutting the gate in his face.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Pearl doesn't have a choice. What he says to Auburn is not privileged. So he talks to Auburn to save his job (possibly) and the FBI subpoenas everything he says and uses it against him to send him to jail. Or he can lie to Auburn to save his job and find himself being contradicted by stuff the FBI has already.

He has an eye of a needle to try to get through and it sounds like Awbie is shutting the gate in his face.

You're not wrong. Actually, if I'm Pearl and I want to have a career after this, I might just resign. Try to paint the picture that he got saddled with AUB's crook (Person) when he really didn't want to have him on staff.

Tell the tale that AUB administration, which is embattled even before this mess, is trying to get him to undermine the FBI investigation by talking although the FBI said don't talk to anyone.

Starting to think this might actually happen. I should've been a lawyer. I could totally be a 'fixer'.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just as an FYI, there were 7 indictments handed down this week in the FBI probe - one person who was not indicted was Brad Augustine - 1Family AAU coach.
Some legal analysts have suggested if an indictment wasn't handed down it possibly suggests the individual is cooperating with the FBI.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
Just as an FYI, there were 7 indictments handed down this week in the FBI probe - one person who was not indicted was Brad Augustine - 1Family AAU coach.
Some legal analysts have suggested if an indictment wasn't handed down it possibly suggests the individual is cooperating with the FBI.
It’s going to be interesting to see how that affects Harold and Nassir.