Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
I be the the Adidas sales rep is in touch with our AD performing on heck of a damage control speech. At this point maybe GT could renegotiate the terms of the agreement. Because there may be schools that they sponsor to be looking for a way to separate themselves from the perceptions of cheating due to the recent revelations of this finding. Thoughts?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Louisville is one of the "unnamed" teams, even if no coaches have been indicted there yet.

I think Pitino is looking at big trouble here.

Agreed. That attorney dude at the presser scared the crap outta me. Pitino better hope they don't have any of his assistants or mistresses on tape.

Did ... did anybody catch that shot? :smuggrin:

Deleted member 2897

I be the the Adidas sales rep is in touch with our AD performing on heck of a damage control speech. At this point maybe GT could renegotiate the terms of the agreement. Because there may be schools that they sponsor to be looking for a way to separate themselves from the perceptions of cheating due to the recent revelations of this finding. Thoughts?

I think it might be too early to do that. I would just be open to researching the facts. The reality is these apparel companies were bidding against each other, so you're not going to come out any more clean if you switch to Nike. In fact, I would bet Nike and Under Armour are much worse than Adidas, just based on the higher magnitude of their size if nothing else.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Eh...just because they haven't indicted anyone at Nike/UA yet doesn't mean they aren't going to. They even opened a tip-line for people to snitch, lol.

Deleted member 2897

Also, when you think about the FBI being involved, the one thing that has always been impossible to find with all these bagmen are the payments into the kids or the families bank accounts. Well, the FBI can certainly get at anybody's financial records if they need to. The amount of information they could uncover would be astounding. Its probably pretty easy to hand a kid 10 hundred dollar bills. $100,000? Not so much.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something else to keep in mind. Did they name the Adidas rep because he's in the bag...and now they're going after Nike and UA as well? Remember, this is the FBI. The higher up the chain they can get, the better they look. Unlike the NCAA, collateral damage is a good thing for them. This has the potential to be one of the biggest stories in collegiate sports. The names that could be implicated in the end could be a "who's who" of college coaches.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Something else to keep in mind. Did they name the Adidas rep because he's in the bag...and now they're going after Nike and UA as well? Remember, this is the FBI. The higher up the chain they can get, the better they look. Unlike the NCAA, collateral damage is a good thing for them. This has the potential to be one of the biggest stories in collegiate sports. The names that could be implicated in the end could be a "who's who" of college coaches.
I'd give my right arm for one of them to be rat face.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I understand what you are saying, but I don't buy it. If a coach signs a player who isn't yet academically eligible are they guilty of fraud if the player never becomes eligible. If a coach signs a player who has eligibility issues, is he guilty of fraud if those issues can't be resolved?

I think that the whole AAU and apparel system for basketball has been very seedy for a very long time. I would like to see it get cleaned up. Hopefully these events will clean it up. However, I don't see how it can be fraud if a player gets a scholarship, goes to class, and plays basketball. The school received everything that it wanted from the award of the scholarship.
The fraud comes in when the NCAA has to vacate every win that those players participated in because they were not, in fact, eligible to play. I'm sure there will be some other pretty serious penalties besides just vacation of wins, too, so all that factors into the fraud.

Deleted member 2897

Why the hell can't the fbi dig into the corruption of college football??? God, that'd be sweet.

Well there is no proof they're not (pardon the double negative). These apparel companies and agents didn't wall themselves off only into basketball. You can be sure this will go much further than just that sport.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why the hell can't the fbi dig into the corruption of college football??? God, that'd be sweet.

Who says they aren't? This could just be the tip of the iceberg.

Good chance one of the 10 people already arrested rolls on the whole "pay for play" scheme of shoe companies and college coaches. Unlike the NCAA, the FBI has no interest in protecting the "integrity of college sports".

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
"Cheating has become more sophisticated because of shoe companies and agents. I'm not sure how much cash in bags is being dropped off. But people are still getting taken care of. I think 99 percent of the top-tier prospects have agents and/or shoe companies involved."
This has been clear for a very long time, and why I never get too emotionally invested into any recruitment. It is irrational to assume that the kids recruited by Tech are somehow exceptions to this entire scene and recruiting process. All 5 and most 4 star recruits are approached by this system, and a large number go ahead and participate.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think the biggest sentence of the entire PC was the 'the investigation is ongoing'.

To me that is just phrasing for - 'we will wait to meet with the defendants and their attorneys and see how much farther up we can keep going'.

Deleted member 2897

The fraud comes in when the NCAA has to vacate every win that those players participated in because they were not, in fact, eligible to play. I'm sure there will be some other pretty serious penalties besides just vacation of wins, too, so all that factors into the fraud.

Well if we pick up vacated wins against Miami and Louisville, that makes us:
2016-2017: 23-14
2015-2016: 24-12

Yay! LOL

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand what you are saying, but I don't buy it. If a coach signs a player who isn't yet academically eligible are they guilty of fraud if the player never becomes eligible. If a coach signs a player who has eligibility issues, is he guilty of fraud if those issues can't be resolved?

I think that the whole AAU and apparel system for basketball has been very seedy for a very long time. I would like to see it get cleaned up. Hopefully these events will clean it up. However, I don't see how it can be fraud if a player gets a scholarship, goes to class, and plays basketball. The school received everything that it wanted from the award of the scholarship.
Your two examples differ from the current scenario. In the current scenario, the coaches actively, intentionally, and knowingly contributed to the players ineligibility. Here the coach new a player was ineligible and that the issues would never be able to be resolved if they came to light. Much different than knowing a player may have eligibility issues but they are capable of being resolved under the rules. i.e the player could better their academics or resolve a clearinghouse issue. Also, generally speaking, advocating that others who committed similar acts didn't get in trouble is not the strongest of legal arguments.

The school did not get everything it wanted. It unknowingly played ineligible players due to fraud committed by their employee and will be punished by the NCAA.

Last edited: