Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
BTW, apparently Miami and Louisville used players that assistant coaches knew to be ineligible because of the actions of the assistant coaches themselves. I don't think it will be possible for the NCAA to NOT have an extremely strong case that coaches at those two schools were procuring money for recruits, and that coaches knowingly played ineligible players.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone understand what the charges actually are before the press conference? I don't understand what would be illegal about paying players or recruits. I don't understand what would be illegal about paying a coach to talk to a current player about signing with a shoe company. All would be against NCAA rules, but NCAA rules are not law.

As others have noted, it probably involves money laundering, possible tax evasion...and I'm sure a multitude of other charges. FBI likes to throw the book at people and have their lawyers prove their innocent of the charges.

Lots of lawyers are getting rich today.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Louisville coach Rick Pitino was asked about Bowen's commitment in June.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino said. "I had an AAU director call me and say, 'Would you be interested in a basketball player?' I said ... 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' But [Bowen and his people] had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotels, pay for their meals. So we spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40-some-odd years of coaching, this is the luckiest I've been."

"Lucky" indeed Tricky Ricky

brandon_cox

Jolly Good Fellow
As a lawyer who does federal criminal defense, let me point out the obvious: the guys being indicted are not the ultimate targets. They are not the big fish. The FBI will be looking to flip them for more high profile individuals, such as college coaches. The college coaches have tried to insulate themselves with middlemen but these middlemen are suddenly facing serious jail time. This will be a race to the courthouse to see who can flip first and get the best deal. There are some high profile coaches whose sphincters are very tight right now.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As a lawyer who does federal criminal defense, let me point out the obvious: the guys being indicted are not the ultimate targets. They are not the big fish. The FBI will be looking to flip them for more high profile individuals, such as college coaches. The college coaches have tried to insulate themselves with middlemen but these middlemen are suddenly facing serious jail time. This will be a race to the courthouse to see who can flip first and get the best deal. There are some high profile coaches whose sphincters are very tight right now.

The beautiful part in all of this is the FBI is independent of the political favoritism that is prevalent in the NCAA. Big time coaches and programs will have no one to shield them now.

Like I said, get your popcorn popping....

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

As others have noted, it probably involves money laundering, possible tax evasion...and I'm sure a multitude of other charges. FBI likes to throw the book at people and have their lawyers prove their innocent of the charges.

Lots of lawyers are getting rich today.

I read one of the complaints. It appeared that they are saying : The executives and coaches bribed players to attend. The executives and coaches knew that the players were ineligible to play because of the bribes. The schools were defrauded because they provided scholarships to players that the executives and coaches knew to be ineligible. The executives and coaches conspired together. They laundered the money to hide it.

I'm not a lawyer, but as a logical argument, I would say that the school did indeed get sports use out of the players so no fraud took place. If no fraud took place, then there can't be a conspiracy to commit fraud. Also, if no fraud took place then money wasn't cleaned to cover up an illegal act. At least the complaint I read appeared to use circular logic to arrive at an illegal act.