1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by msargent1, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ilovetheoption

ilovetheoption Helluva Engineer

2. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

BTW...after what recently occurred at Louisville, and how they are front and center in this investigation now, not sure how Pitino and Louisville basketball are still standing after this hits the floor. You can't tell me Pitino has no clue what's going on, and Louisville should get the hammer on principal no matter how "Oh, it's just rogue coaches, we're innocent..." they want to play this.

3. ctcjb

ctcjb Ramblin' Wreck

Cincinnati - 100% involved

4. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

lauraee and msargent1 like this.
  5. B Lifsey

B Lifsey Helluva Engineer

Wow...interesting twist!

6. Techster

LOL...it's more bribing high level SAs to come to your school.

Come on man, I'd totally buy Josh O a burrito to come to GT!

lauraee likes this.
  7. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

A couple of other notes.
    one of the people arrested is the Merl Code, the head of Nike's EYBL program.
    Also, part of the indictment includes conversations with a coach from a FL school (believed to be Miami) telling the Adidas guy that a prospect needs $150K to outbid another apparel manufacturer (likely Nike) and not attend another school.

The 4 coaches represent schools that have contracts with Nike (AZ, OK ST) , Under Armour (AUB, USC).

Especially since this is a criminal indictment, this could get really messy and maybe change a few things over the long run.

No wonder why GT had problems attracting players with Russell.

8. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

You said a mouthful there. Perhaps this kerfuffle will scale the corruption back, at least a bit, considering we're 2-feet in it now as an adidas school.

9. Techster

Not saying our past and present coaches would get involved, but maybe staying with Russell as long as we did may be a blessing in disguise.

10. CuseJacket

CuseJacket Administrator Staff Member

ATL1 likes this.
  11. northgajacket

northgajacket Banned

Another good read is "Raw Recruits" by Armen Keteyan (I am sure I butchered the spelling). It is about 30 years old, but it does detail the seediness of recruiting and how shoe companies were starting to play a role.

lauraee likes this.
  12. ATL1

ATL1 Helluva Engineer

13. DCSS

DCSS Helluva Engineer

If this scandal involved clothes instead of money, it would mean probation for somebody. Probably us.

14. Techster

Apparently Uncle Fran had a beat on this a month ago...

lauraee and northgajacket like this.
  15. DCSS

DCSS Helluva Engineer

So, are we going to renew with Russell Athletic?

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  16. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

Does anyone understand what the charges actually are before the press conference? I don't understand what would be illegal about paying players or recruits. I don't understand what would be illegal about paying a coach to talk to a current player about signing with a shoe company. All would be against NCAA rules, but NCAA rules are not law.

msargent1 likes this.
  17. northgajacket

northgajacket Banned

What time is the press conference scheduled for?

18. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

19. RonJohn

RonJohn Helluva Engineer

I just read one of the complaints. It appears that the main argument is that: The parties "bribed" high-school athletes to sign with certain schools. The "bribes" made the athletes ineligible to play. The accused are guilty of fraud because they set up a situation in which the school paid scholarship money for the athlete that the accused knew was ineligible because of their "bribes". The main case of fraud is then amended to include conspiracy(since there were multiple parties involved) and money laundering(since the "bribes" used for the "fraud" were run through systems to obscure them).

Whiskey_Clear and Jumpman like this.
  20. ramblinjacket

ramblinjacket Helluva Engineer

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press-release/file/998756/download