Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I know that. I was trying to help @RonJohn work up to to the actual FBI charges. His trouble seems to be ethical recognition of what is going on and is a problem logically prior to recognition of the crimes alleged. The fraud is the primary crime being alleged and investigated. But at the root of the situation, ethically, is a system of bribery to induce recruit commitments.

There is no charge of bribery in the complaint that I read. The complaint discussed "bribes" to recruits. A federal bribery charge requires the recipient of the bribe to be a public official. None of the recruits were public officials. The main charge in that complaint was fraud. The bribes listed were not listed as crimes, but as support for the fraud charge. There was a conspiracy to commit fraud, and laundering in support of fraud. There might be actual bribery charges against the coaches for steering players to agents. But I haven't read those.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
RIGHT AFTER GETTING ON PROBATION from the other trash, [the Louisville coach] "The coach told Adidas shoe rep they needed to be “super low key” because the program was already on probation." WTF is wrong with Louisville across all sports? What a trash bin that place is. I mean this timeline is literally just a couple weeks after getting the hammer dropped on them from another issue with the NCAA.
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...-new-ncaa-corruption-scandal-of-course-it-is/

All this stuff is from wire taps. Wiretaps are just deadly. Man they have got so much in so many different directions I bet.

Is this big enough to be the first program in a looooonnnnnggg time to get the death penalty?

Deleted member 2897

Dumb question: does the death penalty apply to the entire athletic department or just sport specific?

I think it should be sport specific. I wouldn't think it makes sense to kill volleyball or something else over there. But I think there is enough in their 2 main revenue sports (football, basketball) over and over where it is clear they haven't changed their behavior that you wipe the slate clean and start over.

DaltonJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Doubt it.

Louisville generates too much revenue. SMU was an easy target bc they are a small fish.

I kinda thought that might be the case but I don't really remember if SMU was "big" or not. I'm 38 now so I was kid at the time. I knew of the old Southwest Conference but I didn't know if they were considered a big deal or not. To me they were just the school Dickerson played at before I became aware of him with the Rams.

northgajacket

Banned
I kinda thought that might be the case but I don't really remember if SMU was "big" or not. I'm 38 now so I was kid at the time. I knew of the old Southwest Conference but I didn't know if they were considered a big deal or not. To me they were just the school Dickerson played at before I became aware of him with the Rams.

They have some prestige ( Doak Walker, Forrest Gregg), but they started the payment of players bc the team was historically bad. The school had the second smallest enrollment in the old SWC (only Rice had a smaller enrollment), therefore it did not have as much of an alumni base as Texas, Texas A&M, or Arkansas.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well the Post says "believes" and "offered". Hell, there may be some poetic justice here that Nas & family's whistleblowing is part of the case. How's that for wishful thinking?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
What was the more shocking news story at the time:
a) Lance Bass announces he is gay (July 2006)
b) Corruption and Fraud uncovered in College Basketball between schools and apparel companies (September 2017)
c) Tony Romo injured again (August 2016)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Sit down for this, @CuseJacket

Coach Bayhime just declined to appear on NBARadio for an interview that was scheduled before all this came out.

Hmmmmmm ... seems he'd be used to speaking around these types of issues. #ShotsFired :sneaky:

ETA: He gone - AUB edition...