Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA could do any one of several things, but are unlikely to do anything. I agree with those who say the freshman eligibility rule isn't likely to change, but it would work. Another thing I would like to see discussed is for the NCAA to change the LOI process so that players signed a binding contract with the college. That could be structured to keep them "employed" for five years, or their graduation, and prevents them from playing anywhere else for compensation until the terms of the contract are satisfied. If a player wants to play professionally, he would have to skip college or wait until graduation. That is essentially what baseball and hockey players are doing now. The difference being this rule rule would guarantee the players five years of college.

The law kind of frowns on indentured servitude. I think it went out of style what - 100 years or so ago?

Baseball is not being held by ties to NCAA but by a restriction negotiated with MLB and players union. That is the only mechanism that can control/limit entry to professional leagues due to their union status and requirement. The tool the NCAA has is eligibility to play in their "league". The primary limitation they use is academics - and then amateurism. They have been watering down both of these limitations for years.

FWIW here is the logic train you need to think about. If players become "employees" then their salaries cannot be controlled or limited by the NCAA. That dynamic was already settled by the courts when the NCAA tried to limit assistant coaches salaries and got blown up by Duke assistants who sued and won easily. So you will have athletes negotiating their salary before signing on to play for any specific team. That means the rich get richer and college athletics for all intents and purposes becomes a 10 team league or so.

The way around it is what the professional leagues have done and unionize. Only through labor laws and labor negotiations can you limit or control salaries. AKA salary cap.

So at a very simplistic level you either try to make the current amateurism and student athlete model work or you have to go to a full professional model with unions for athletic employees. Even in that model I don't see the NCAA being able to restrict athletes from leaving for professional leagues who pay more.

One thing that Hewitt said is spot on and tends to get lost in this. All this hype and noise in the NCAA is really about 10 or so players per year that have a shot (not guarantee) of being drafted by the league if they were available. If they go straight to the NBA or DLeague then the shoe companies don't really care about the rest and corruption goes back to the $100 handshake level that everyone thinks is kind of cute but not earthshaking - and we can bring back our middle aged white guy to great effect :) The con that college athletics and especially basketball has to be ready for is those 10 are still the stars (generally speaking) that drive a lot of the top teams and March Madness. They have to be ready for a major talent drain to the NBA. I can wax eloquently (at least in my opinion) about whether this is good or bad but generally the athleticism and quality of play will go down.

The fly in the ointment is that the NCAA and college athletics have pretty much left the amateurism model behind for everyone except the athletes. A large chunk of the money now goes to facilities and coaches with the resultant reaction that players are left out - despite the reality that 98% of all student athletes are getting a great deal in the current model. It is the "stars" that are the only ones you can make a case for being undercompensated.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The law kind of frowns on indentured servitude. I think it went out of style what - 100 years or so ago?

Baseball is not being held by ties to NCAA but by a restriction negotiated with MLB and players union. That is the only mechanism that can control/limit entry to professional leagues due to their union status and requirement. The tool the NCAA has is eligibility to play in their "league". The primary limitation they use is academics - and then amateurism. They have been watering down both of these limitations for years.

FWIW here is the logic train you need to think about. If players become "employees" then their salaries cannot be controlled or limited by the NCAA. That dynamic was already settled by the courts when the NCAA tried to limit assistant coaches salaries and got blown up by Duke assistants who sued and won easily. So you will have athletes negotiating their salary before signing on to play for any specific team. That means the rich get richer and college athletics for all intents and purposes becomes a 10 team league or so.

The way around it is what the professional leagues have done and unionize. Only through labor laws and labor negotiations can you limit or control salaries. AKA salary cap.

So at a very simplistic level you either try to make the current amateurism and student athlete model work or you have to go to a full professional model with unions for athletic employees. Even in that model I don't see the NCAA being able to restrict athletes from leaving for professional leagues who pay more.

One thing that Hewitt said is spot on and tends to get lost in this. All this hype and noise in the NCAA is really about 10 or so players per year that have a shot (not guarantee) of being drafted by the league if they were available. If they go straight to the NBA or DLeague then the shoe companies don't really care about the rest and corruption goes back to the $100 handshake level that everyone thinks is kind of cute but not earthshaking - and we can bring back our middle aged white guy to great effect :) The con that college athletics and especially basketball has to be ready for is those 10 are still the stars (generally speaking) that drive a lot of the top teams and March Madness. They have to be ready for a major talent drain to the NBA. I can wax eloquently (at least in my opinion) about whether this is good or bad but generally the athleticism and quality of play will go down.

The fly in the ointment is that the NCAA and college athletics have pretty much left the amateurism model behind for everyone except the athletes. A large chunk of the money now goes to facilities and coaches with the resultant reaction that players are left out - despite the reality that 98% of all student athletes are getting a great deal in the current model. It is the "stars" that are the only ones you can make a case for being undercompensated.
With all due respect to Hewitt, 16 freshmen were selected in the 1st round and two more in the 2nd round. In all, 73 underclassmen declared and stayed in the draft.

But that is not the problem. It is the perversion the prospects of the NBA have made of college recruiting that needs to be repaired. Nas, and a bunch of the 5* guys in the 2018 class, did not really want to play at UNC or Duke or UK. Thee want to play in the NBA. And I can hardly blame them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Go back to the old rule where freshmen could not complete. Essentially forcing a redshirt season on all freshmen.
8CF87A30-8036-4F3B-AC3B-55EAA57198C9.gif

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The NCAA could do any one of several things, but are unlikely to do anything. I agree with those who say the freshman eligibility rule isn't likely to change, but it would work. Another thing I would like to see discussed is for the NCAA to change the LOI process so that players signed a binding contract with the college. That could be structured to keep them "employed" for five years, or their graduation, and prevents them from playing anywhere else for compensation until the terms of the contract are satisfied. If a player wants to play professionally, he would have to skip college or wait until graduation. That is essentially what baseball and hockey players are doing now. The difference being this rule rule would guarantee the players five years of college.

I would definitely not be in favor of this. In baseball, the schools do not require players to play 3 years before they can be drafted again, MLB does. If a college student decides to drop out of college and play in a Central American league for money, the school nor the NCAA should have any power to stop him. The school coach could advise him that that is a bad idea, but they should not be allowed to stop him. In the normal workplace, people are not prevented from quitting or changing jobs. Even at places with non-compete clauses, those clauses are usually suspect.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fantastic article on Christopher Dawkins and his rise in the underworld of recruiting and NBA representation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-chris...ss-prodigy-college-hoops-brink-213959726.html

One quote should scare alot of coaches
“The whole thing is corrupt,” said Haney, Dawkins’ lawyer. “The whole system is broken. Don’t pick a 24-year-old and make him the fall guy. It’s not going to happen. Not on my watch. It’s going to be a fight.”

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Fantastic article on Christopher Dawkins and his rise in the underworld of recruiting and NBA representation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-chris...ss-prodigy-college-hoops-brink-213959726.html

One quote should scare alot of coaches
“The whole thing is corrupt,” said Haney, Dawkins’ lawyer. “The whole system is broken. Don’t pick a 24-year-old and make him the fall guy. It’s not going to happen. Not on my watch. It’s going to be a fight.”

Here's one quote that should scare one particular coach ...
Federal wiretaps captured Dawkins and others brokering deals for nearly $250,000 as part of a plan to eventually steer players to his management company. He refers to bribe money as “bread” and brags of attending Arizona practices “like I’m on the team.”
Yikes

Deleted member 2897

Yea this is a big old "sigh". We can't have nice things. He did say quite awhile ago that:

A couple guys probably got mislead about ***** enlargement pills.