Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree somewhat on this. If the top 10 guys go pro, that means the 11th guy is the best available college player and his market value is adjusted accordingly.
I agree to a point, but to the extent that the funding is coming from shoe companies/agents/financial advisors looking to cash in when players become 1st round picks, allowing the top high school players to go pro directly should at least lower the amount of money floating around.

Would have no impact on boosters and coaches willing to work on the edges.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Any chance that basketball picks up something similar to baseball/football with a minimum year/age requirement before they can be drafted?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
What happens to college basketball if the NCAA changes the freshman eligibility rule? Would that force the NBA and the NBAPA to rethink the ban on HS players entering the draft?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Go back to the old rule where freshmen could not complete. Essentially forcing a redshirt season on all freshmen.

Just wanted to be sure because my original response was going to be "what year do you think this is?"

Last I checked, there's too much money on the table for too many parties to let a lot of talented kids sit out a year when there's no rational reason to do so in the first place.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Just wanted to be sure because my original response was going to be "what year do you think this is?"

Last I checked, there's too much money on the table for too many parties to let a lot of talented kids sit out a year when there's no rational reason to do so in the first place.
But ignoring all of the well founded cynicism, I actually think it's not a terrible idea. If there is really interest in amateur sports then this is one arrow in the quiver to get there.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
But ignoring all of the well founded cynicism, I actually think it's not a terrible idea. If there is really interest in amateur sports then this is one arrow in the quiver to get there.

I had to stifle laughter when I read this considering how much money the NCAA makes off these kids. They don't care about "amateur sports". That toothpaste has long been squeezed (squozen :D) out of that tube.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Had a long discussion with Paul Hewitt recently (yea, dropping that line casually).

In his opinion removing 1 and done won't resolve anything except for about 12 players. What about the other ~29,988?

His suggestion is to allow college players to have access to agents. In baseball and hockey, players miraculously have agents and deals 1 day after their college eligibility is over. There is no way those players started the agent selection process and sign a deal all in 1 day. The NCAA just doesn't care/enforce for those sports.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Had a long discussion with Paul Hewitt recently (yea, dropping that line casually).

In his opinion removing 1 and done won't resolve anything except for about 12 players. What about the other ~29,988?

His suggestion is to allow college players to have access to agents. In baseball and hockey, players miraculously have agents and deals 1 day after their college eligibility is over. There is no way those players started the agent selection process and sign a deal all in 1 day. The NCAA just doesn't care/enforce for those sports.

Uh-oh, Cuse has resorted to name-droppin'. What's next, "Uh I was shootin' pool with Chan the other day and ... " :D

Seriously though, he's not wrong. I think it's an illustration that the whole NCAA model has outlived it's usefulness. There has to be a 'next' model here. I'm totally on board with there needing to be a governing body of some sort but the NCAA is just plain out-dated.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

HS baseball players are allowed to have agents negotiate for/with them and not have their eligibility at risk should they decide to go to college instead of playing pro ball. Not sure how it works with hockey, but must be similar. I'd assume the relationship stays intact even if they go to college and the agents are still in communication with the pro teams.

My thing with college sports is, one rule for all sports. It's silly to have different rules for how the business side of things operate.

Football: Must be 3 years out of HS?! No dealing with agents
Baseball: I think they have two windows to declare. Can have agents during HS.
Baseketball: Must be 1 year out of HS or graduating class? No dealing with agents.

That's the problem with the NCAA. Different standards...and that includes the member schools that make up the NCAA (looking at you UNC...ahem...)

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The notion of amateurism under the NCAA is a crock at this point. Truly outdated concept with all of the money at play.
Well I think we can all agree the middle ground of half pretending isn't working for anyone. So some big steps forward or backwards are required. While I fully realize I am in fantasy world, my better fantasy is where it's a big step towards amateurism vs a big step towards professionalism. I still believe there are principled people out there willing to make tough decisions even if it hurts in the wallet.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well I think we can all agree the middle ground of half pretending isn't working for anyone. So some big steps forward or backwards are required. While I fully realize I am in fantasy world, my better fantasy is where it's a big step towards amateurism vs a big step towards professionalism. I still believe there are principled people out there willing to make tough decisions even if it hurts in the wallet.

I think ALL kids should be allowed to go pro after HS...that includes football. Put the onus on the pro sports leagues to develop the kids or tell the kids they won't be drafted. Should kids not go pro, they have to be in college for at least 2 years.

If kids declare pro out of HS and not get drafted, then the NCAA should still give the kids the ability to play college ball. Pro drafts should be held BEFORE signing day so the colleges know which kids are coming to college and which kids got drafted so it doesn't affect their signing classes.

If a kid declares after two years in college, but doesn't get drafted, tough luck kid. You knew the rules.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
HS baseball players are allowed to have agents negotiate for/with them and not have their eligibility at risk should they decide to go to college instead of playing pro ball. Not sure how it works with hockey, but must be similar. I'd assume the relationship stays intact even if they go to college and the agents are still in communication with the pro teams.

My thing with college sports is, one rule for all sports. It's silly to have different rules for how the business side of things operate.

Football: Must be 3 years out of HS?! No dealing with agents
Baseball: I think they have two windows to declare. Can have agents during HS.
Baseketball: Must be 1 year out of HS or graduating class? No dealing with agents.

That's the problem with the NCAA. Different standards...and that includes the member schools that make up the NCAA (looking at you UNC...ahem...)
The NCAA does not have a rule that forces "NBA ready" kids into one and done. That is a result of the CBA the players and owners in the NBA signed. It lasts until 2023 IIRC. MBL and the NHL have their own agreement with the players, as do the NFL owners.

The NCAA could do any one of several things, but are unlikely to do anything. I agree with those who say the freshman eligibility rule isn't likely to change, but it would work. Another thing I would like to see discussed is for the NCAA to change the LOI process so that players signed a binding contract with the college. That could be structured to keep them "employed" for five years, or their graduation, and prevents them from playing anywhere else for compensation until the terms of the contract are satisfied. If a player wants to play professionally, he would have to skip college or wait until graduation. That is essentially what baseball and hockey players are doing now. The difference being this rule rule would guarantee the players five years of college.

The sneaky part of this option is the players would be getting compensation rather than a grant, so it would be taxable. I think the NCAA could give the colleges room to negotiate with players for additional money, up to a point, without tilting the balance too far toward the wealthiest programs. There would certainly be a transition period and bumps along the way. But that would acknowledge that the players are getting paid, but make sure all the players are, in fact, students. What it would not do is protect against a UNC style cheating scheme.