Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, give yourself a break. Bilas is a lawyer, so I'm sure he knows more about this than you running your mouth (all the time). NCAA investigation into was an absolute travesty, but the real travesty is the NCAA set themselves up for this. No rules on setting up a program to cheat, having coaches and athletes, not to mention the school pretty much admit to cheating? For f's sakes...

Yes, that's what I was talking about.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
FSU had a bunch taking on-line courses that turned out to be done by tutors or other students. There was talk about removing a bunch of Bowden's wins but don't know if it ever happened.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So I have been thinking about this a lot over the last 24 hours and as I was chilling some beer for the game today it hit me. The NCAA with this ruling has failed it’s member schools. At the very core of their argument about not paying student athletes is a sentimental tip of the cap to the essential duty of each college to focus on educating the students first and foremost. They have argued that the value the students get from their college education transcends a paycheck and sets the young men and women who wear their school’s colors up for a lifetime of success (especially post athletic achievement).

I buy that argument. It’s one of the reasons that I love having gone to the institute. It places a value on academics first. I accept what that means for recruiting and winning pennants and wouldn’t have it any other way. I hated that we got slammed for the impermissible clothing issue but was proud that our administration and coaches took it as it was and used it as a way to teach the kids about arbitrary rules and the importance of doing the right thing, the right way.

Now the NCAA has essentially said while they acknowledge these “classes” were a joke, it is outside of their purview. If in fact they do not have a more responsibility to bring sanctions against academic malfeasance (and maintain that college athletics are not about professional athletes getting paid and rather are about students getting the opportunity to attend schools they may not be able to afford or gain acceptance through purely academic value) then how do they justify their existence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Agree with your post but the clothing issue is complete 100% BS and always will be. The NCAA will happily ignore tons of straight in the black BS but punish schools for the gray area crap that should be ignored like clothes from a cousin, a random meal every now and then, small gifts, etc.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Put the ACC title trophy back in the showcase, list all our 2009 wins as the wins they were, and sue the **** out of the NCAA if they try to punish us in any way for it.

Eff the corrupt and incompetent NCAA.

Free room and board and no education equates to paid professional players.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thing that that pisses me off is that UNC was willfully cheating. For almost 20 years and never denied it and got off clean. We unknowingly violated the rules when Bay Bay took possession of that tiny stack of T-shirts. A benefit, yes, but not one the school participated in. And we got a punishment that now seems like an over the top, misplaced expectation for what UNC deserved.

No. I have never gotten over that and this weekend I have seethed with anger about it. I will put this behind me, but I will never forget.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thing that that pisses me off is that UNC was willfully cheating. For almost 20 years and never denied it and got off clean. We unknowingly violated the rules when Bay Bay took possession of that tiny stack of T-shirts. A benefit, yes, but not one the school participated in. And we got a punishment that now seems like an over the top, misplaced expectation for what UNC deserved.

No. I have never gotten over that and this weekend I have seethed with anger about it. I will put this behind me, but I will never forget.

Yeah this is really sticking in my craw and been bothering me all weekend. The level of incompetence by the NCAA paired with the level of arrogance and stupidity by UNC fans has me rage filled. And just like my frustrations with the governement, nothing we can do about it because it’s all about money and greed. Integrity doesn’t enter into the equation.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah this is really sticking in my craw and been bothering me all weekend. The level of incompetence by the NCAA paired with the level of arrogance and stupidity by UNC fans has me rage filled. And just like my frustrations with the governement, nothing we can do about it because it’s all about money and greed. Integrity doesn’t enter into the equation.
Bud Peterson is Chairman of the Board of the NCAA? Tell me it’s another Bud Peterson and not GT’s. You would think the same guy that beats down our athletic programs would be leading the charge to institute changes to the process to force cheaters to have bonafide academic programs for their athletes. I think the teams should be representative of the student body at large & those found out of line need to have scholarship reductions.

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/AUG2017BOG_FINALREPORT_20170824.pdf

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bud Peterson is Chairman of the Board of the NCAA? Tell me it’s another Bud Peterson and not GT’s. You would think the same guy that beats down our athletic programs would be leading the charge to institute changes to the process to force cheaters to have bonafide academic programs for their athletes. I think the teams should be representative of the student body at large & those found out of line need to have scholarship reductions.

LOL!!!!!!!!

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Says he’s a committee chair, not COB. But I can’t quite tell which committee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LibertyTurns

Banned

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
NBA Commish saying one-and-done rule is likely to end sooner rather than later.

https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

This won't solve everything, but it is a step in the right direction.
There are young men that have no desire to be in college, take have an academic courseload. That's fine, give then an option so they don't have to.

I agree. Though it would be nice if there was still left open some sort of path for kids who try to go straight from high school, but go undrafted. I mean, if we truly have the kids' best interests at heart, and want them to get educations, that would be a smart decision.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
With the expansion of D-league or whatever its called now, this only seems logical. It sucked when guys like Tony Key, Korleone Young, Leon Smith, NDudi Ebi etc just flamed out with very little chance/instruction.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With the expansion of D-league or whatever its called now, this only seems logical. It sucked when guys like Tony Key, Korleone Young, Leon Smith, NDudi Ebi etc just flamed out with very little chance/instruction.

I agree. NBA seems to be getting close to having a true minor league. They have like 25-26 teams now. That's alot of spots to fill.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Once the NBA does it, a lot of the shenanigans will go away.

Go to the D League or whatever, let the scholarship go to someone that wants to go to college.