Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Grand Jury subpeona's Oklahoma State for documents related to basketball scandal.

http://newsok.com/new-york-grand-ju...ons-by-osu-basketball-players/article/5567594
It is hard to conceive of OSU getting this subpoena and the other three schools not. Our company got a subpoena for records one time and it shut down my department for about a month. Searching for, and making copies of, pertinent records was VERY time consuming. Especially under the supervision of our corporate attorneys. And right before basketball practice is scheduled to begin. Ouch!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

The Federal Bureau of Investigation, in response to a Freedom of Information Act request, told the Kansan on Wednesday that it has documents related to the University of Kansas and its sponsorship with the Adidas apparel company, but cannot release them due to an ongoing legal investigation.

The presence of documents responsive to the Kansan’s request, filed on Sept. 27, does not necessarily implicate the University in wrongdoing, but appears to contradict what Kansas Athletics officials said after the scandal broke.

The Kansan asked for “all documents and communications within this investigation related to the University of Kansas and any of its sponsorship deals with Adidas or any investigation of Kansas basketball coaches.”

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kansas is being looked at at least to some extent.

http://www.kansan.com/sports/fbi-sa...cle_af64a0ec-aeee-11e7-8c18-0b11a775fd20.html

Basically the student newspaper made a FOIA request to the FBI and the FBI said it could not release any documents because they are part of an ongoing legal investigation.

Over time I expect you are going to see alot of schools that are having to provide info to the FBI, but you are unlikely to know unless someone has made a FOIA request for data.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
You also won't know if there is really something to it with individual schools or that there really wasn't anything to the subpoena - or it was more supporting something else they are looking at. Won't know until the FBI does perp walks :cry:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

OMG, Bilas saying the NCAA may have been willfully blind? Never would have thought it except for the facts and motive (money the NCAA gets).

Is there a summary list of the involved schools? I think too many big schools are going to be involved for the NCAA to do anything real; which is why they haven't wanted to mess with the cash cow so far. The "Commission" is probably looking for a new business model which will keep the money flowing to the NCAA.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
OMG, Bilas saying the NCAA may have been willfully blind? Never would have thought it except for the facts and motive (money the NCAA gets).

Is there a summary list of the involved schools? I think too many big schools are going to be involved for the NCAA to do anything real; which is why they haven't wanted to mess with the cash cow so far. The "Commission" is probably looking for a new business model which will keep the money flowing to the NCAA.

The NCAA "powers that be", who's pockets are getting lined by this criminal enterprise, are probably looking at Mark Emmert like, "Dude, you had one job!"

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The problem the NCAA has, commission or no commission, is the FBI and the federal district attorneys. There is no rug to sweep the dirt under.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I'm a fan of Bilas. He does not hold back, even if it means making his employer ESPN, look bad.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm a fan of Bilas. He does not hold back, even if it means making his employer ESPN, look bad.

Give me a break. Bilas is saying the NCAA did the right thing with u[sic]nc and will say that the Dukie commission did the right thing after they find no ncaa problem here.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Give me a break. Bilas is saying the NCAA did the right thing with u[sic]nc and will say that the Dukie commission did the right thing after they find no ncaa problem here.

Yes, give yourself a break. Bilas is a lawyer, so I'm sure he knows more about this than you running your mouth (all the time). NCAA investigation into was an absolute travesty, but the real travesty is the NCAA set themselves up for this. No rules on setting up a program to cheat, having coaches and athletes, not to mention the school pretty much admit to cheating? For f's sakes...