Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Well, that's certainly not a good look for Duke when their former players go on video stating its been pay for play for a long time. Its amazing given the friggin FBI is involved that anybody would go put a target on themselves right now.
Isn't Jay Williams the rocket scientist who destroyed his NBA career crashing on a motorcycle right after a practice?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Trivia: Jason Williams wrecked his bike (and his career) when he hit a telephone pole about two doors down from my apartment. Corner of Honore and Fletcher. He got tired of waiting in traffic for the light on Belmont & Paulina so he tried to cut down Honore to catch Barry. Bad move

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it, but Coach K is coming out today saying how the NCAA's model is antiquated. Trying to influence change before the **** hits the fan, perhaps?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
One & done players are bad for us fans, but they are terrible for coaches. But, it you are a coach in today's basketball world, you have try to recruit as many as possible.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it, but Coach K is coming out today saying how the NCAA's model is antiquated. Trying to influence change before the **** hits the fan, perhaps?

I think that Coach K has avoided as much of the AAU circuit as he can. I think that is the reason Duke swooned about half a decade ago. He wouldn't play ball with those coaches. Of all the coaches, he's probably pretty clean in this one. Of course, that is only my speculation. I could be wrong.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer

I haven't heard him wax eloquent about the overall state or system of college basketball before. If he has, then ok. If he hasn't and just piped up now then, yeah, color me cynical. He is a hofer and most powerful coach in the game. If he wanted to share his opinions before people would give him deference.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Easy on Jay. He dated Charissa Thompson. He’s cool in my book
I actually think he is a pretty solid color commentator and don't have a particularly negative view of him. But I couldn't resist piggy backing on the prior commenter knocking on his approach in that video as ill-advised. After all, he did go to Duke.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Article on how the scandal might affect the coaching carousel next spring.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-ba...pletely-change-coaching-market-043603699.html

This is a good article! Given CJPs reputation as a 'compliance' geek, I wonder if this is why Sharman White didn't get stronger consideration as an assistant. White did have the suspension for lying about a player's eligibility. This occurred back in October 2008.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad that DLab is on the staff as he has done a great job thus far.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think that Coach K has avoided as much of the AAU circuit as he can. I think that is the reason Duke swooned about half a decade ago. He wouldn't play ball with those coaches. Of all the coaches, he's probably pretty clean in this one. Of course, that is only my speculation. I could be wrong.

I would take the opposite view and say K has become the equivalent of Coach Cal in a lot of ways - including an intimate association at the top of the AAU food chain. He is recruiting almost exclusively in the top 25 type of kid for his yearly class (with some program kids thrown in for consistency). If you parse through his comments yesterday they are almost exclusively targeted to this elite group of players that could either go straight to the NBA (which he wants) or in his opinion should be able to be sponsored while in the NCAA/college environment. IMHO it is a page out of Cal's playbook to put himself in as verbally taking the perspective of top HS players and trying to do everything the way they want. This allows him to walk into their living room and say hey I am here for you. Yes I am saying to some degree it was self serving.

At a minimum if you allow shoe companies to sponsor kids in college then all it does is make the funneling activity we are seeing with the FBI investigation legal. In the long run telling the NBA they need to do more and create more infrastructure to train young players will reduce the college game. Overall the view he expressed was targeted solely to about 10 - 20 players per year. IMHO it ignores the needs of a system targeted to the rest of the players. But what do I know :cool:

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Is this a real reputation or something someone once said facetiously and has now taken on a life of its own? I'm all for #fakenews if it works in my favor ;)

My only fear is that this scandal will bring down Sean Miller and Arizona will say, “What we need is a coach who knows Arizona basketball and is also a compliance geek”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
My only fear is that this scandal will bring down Sean Miller and Arizona will say, “What we need is a coach who knows Arizona basketball and is also a compliance geek”.

Maybe this is part of the reason for the one year extension, to make the buyout higher?

Does anyone know the details of CJPs contract? I know some coaches contracts have an out clause for specific schools.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is this a real reputation or something someone once said facetiously and has now taken on a life of its own? I'm all for #fakenews if it works in my favor ;)

There was an article in the Memphis Commercial Appeal while he was coach in Memphis that used that quoted someone as calling him that.