Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The more people say this the more I beleive it.

I don’t think Cal is all that dirty anymore. Meaning directly involved with it.The guy can walk into a living room and simply ask
“you want to win games?”
“play with other 5* guys in a system that closely resembles AAU?”
“Get into the first round and make be a millionaire in 16 months?”

Because that’s what he does.

I’m going to go nerd here for a second, if anyone ever watched “The Wire”, there is a scene where Lester and McNulty break down Stringer Bell being “the bank” which basically boils down to after Bell insulated himself and made it into legitimate businesses, he would still be a shot caller, but rarely around any dope or violence or other nefarious activity.

That’s what I think has happened with Cal and K. If they are cheating, other people are doing it on their behalf and they probably have very little to do with its operation while they benefit from it and are certainly of aware of it.

I've never had more respeck for you than I do right now. The fact that both can now legitimately walk around with that smug a**, "Whut, me cheatin'?" face is a traveshamockery of life itself.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That’s what I think has happened with Cal and K. If they are cheating, other people are doing it on their behalf and they probably have very little to do with its operation while they benefit from it and are certainly of aware of it.

I think this is the key to it all crumbling or remains standing. If it's being done, who's doing it, and can it be tied back to either of the coaches. I don't think coaches are dumb enough or oblivious enough to have things happenning in their program to not know about it. It's more, "Hey, do what you need to do, but I'm not talking about it, and I don't want to know the details." It's the plausible deniability defense.

Here's the rub: If a kid is a sure fire first rounder no matter where he goes...and that's the type of kids that Kentucky and Duke are getting, and other schools are offering them $150K to attend, why would they go another school for free when they're just making a pit stop and can get $150K to play ball for a year? You can't sell me on Coach K or Calipari being such good coaches that it eliminates the $150K. Maybe some kids, but not every single one of them.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm....

His relationships and intimate familiarity with players and their ecosystems helped ingratiate him with high-profile Nike schools like Kentucky, Duke and Arizona.

One school everyone has been strongly suspicious of (Kentucky), one school people are starting to wonder about (Duke), and one school already named (Arizona).

And where did Merl Code go to college? Clemson. Waiting for that shoe to drop, but not in basketball. It's Probation Time Again Y'all

To Peacone's post, the UK/Cal analogizes to Ala/Saban. Saban can make similar comments to recruits to those in Peacone's post. But just like other basketball schools can't do what Cal and K can, Clemson football needed $$ to rise that far that fast. They aren't Alabama. Those players didn't just suddenly think the rural foothills of upstate SC was the place to be for football. I've heard rumors of how they are doing it, but they are just rumors at this point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Someone is gonna have to explain this one to me:

http://www.businessinsider.com/adidas-louisville-contract-future-in-question-2017-10

Why would Louisville try to get out of one of the most lucrative apparel contracts in college sports? Do they think Nike or UA is running to offer them more money? Especially after the basketball team will probably be crippled, and the stench of the scandal permeates the entire athletic department? If I'm Adidas, I'm happily severing ties and saying "Let's put this Louisville problem in the rearview mirror". On top of that, Nike and UA stock are doing horribly so they're not coming in with strong numbers.

Unless Louisville wants to sever ties, from a business standpoint this makes no sense.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The interesting twist on this episode is that it's the FBI not the NCAA stooges. The FBI will take down anyone they have evidence on. They're not going to protect anyone. Not K / Duke, Roy / UNC, Self / Kansas etc. If they have evidence, they will take them down.

Gonna be interesting to see how this differs from the usual ineffective NCAA "investigation" where they check with Bristol before coming down with any penalties

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Someone is gonna have to explain this one to me:

http://www.businessinsider.com/adidas-louisville-contract-future-in-question-2017-10

Why would Louisville try to get out of one of the most lucrative apparel contracts in college sports? Do they think Nike or UA is running to offer them more money? Especially after the basketball team will probably be crippled, and the stench of the scandal permeates the entire athletic department? If I'm Adidas, I'm happily severing ties and saying "Let's put this Louisville problem in the rearview mirror". On top of that, Nike and UA stock are doing horribly so they're not coming in with strong numbers.

Unless Louisville wants to sever ties, from a business standpoint this makes no sense.

Perhaps there are aspects of the deal that are considered untenable now that Jurich/Pitino are gone. I vaguely recall reading that RA's deal with us allowed them certain perks and other things that weren't readily obvious considering they were just an apparel provider. Things like the use of offices or w/e. Not saying they were untenable from GT's perspective. Just offering some (admittedly unconfirmed) evidence that there are a lot of layers to these deals.

We know Jurich's daughter worked for adidas. Could there have been some clause related to his kids' employment?

Could it have come with a provision whereby Lville had to name the court or arena after Pitino otherwise they'd forfeit x% of the deal? I could see that considering Jurich and Pitino were best buds.

Could there have been other things L'ville no longer wanted to honor, despite the money part? I could see that, thus I could see why Lville may want to renegotiate or get out of the deal.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Pitino was the top paid Adidas coach - over $2M I think. Louisville may well think that "special relationship" is what got them in trouble in the first place and want to get rid of it. As an aside and reading way between the lines - they may also be doing this as part of an NCAA defense strategy - we cancelled a very lucrative contract when we realized the influence it had on our campus and its terrible influence on our compliance efforts.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess I’ll have to weigh what’s more important to me. The relationship that the company has built with me since before I was know to wear sweatshirts or which company will keep the most cash in my wallet. From everything I’ve posted you’d think that relationships and loyalty would win in the end.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This rather long column in today's N&O does not reveal anything really new, but is a good read for what the NCAA isn't likely to do.

My take is that the NCAA is not going make any drastic changes that affect the revenue inflow in college basketball. But, what they could do instead is to decertify the AAU system, making participation a disqualifying factor. They could also eliminate all "paid" visits to college campuses.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/article176523976.html

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I guess I’ll have to weigh what’s more important to me. The relationship that the company has built with me since before I was know to wear sweatshirts or which company will keep the most cash in my wallet. From everything I’ve posted you’d think that relationships and loyalty would win in the end.

POTD. Soooo deep. :greyalien::blackalien:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Good article on Code and Gatto and what they could do to college basketball.

interesting that Code's departure from Nike was allegedly not that smooth.

https://sports.yahoo.com/two-men-bring-college-basketball-011524387.html
Thanks for the tip on the article. Picked this out of the article; if some believe this is adidas only, they are living in a dream world.

“Adidas executive Merl Code…worked at Nike for more than a decade before going to Adidas in 2015. At Nike he rose to a powerful position atop the company’s signature Elite Youth Basketball League grassroots program, which annually showcases the country’s top high school prospects. “

If you have been a Nike or adidas school for the last few years, better hire a top law firm.

Remind me, who was the genius at GT that signed the Russell contract?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Deleted member 2897

Speaking of Duke...

Well, that's certainly not a good look for Duke when their former players go on video stating its been pay for play for a long time. Its amazing given the friggin FBI is involved that anybody would go put a target on themselves right now.