Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

slugboy

Staff member
Just really glad we didn't hire Capel even if he's clean. Glad we got a guy everyone knows is a compliance freak
He turned us down, but now I'm curious how much our Russell contract had to do with it. If he relies on shoe money and we didn't have it, we'd be a horrible fit.

slugboy

Staff member
i wish more people understood this. I've seen fans for some schools saying if this is all they have it doesn't seem too bad.
FBI and DA have no desire to show all their cards. All they are going to show is enough to get the indictments they want to start with. They won't even show all the info they collected on those they indicted, just enough to get the indictment.

They likely have alot more than they have shown so far and then they hope to flip some guys to get even more.
Legally, they can't share most of what they know. Same with the prosecutors. When you hear a leak in a legal case, most of the time it's a defense attorney.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I think the jewelry thing was Lance Thomas, not Kyrie. It was after his senior year and he took a crap ton of bling on loan from some dealer in NJ and then didn't pay for it. I don't remember how the whole thing played out but I remember Duke didn't get hammered since it all happened after his playing days were over

Maggette got cash in HS from Myron Piggy (so did many other Chicago kids). NCAA looked at it and found no connection to Duke but I remember that's when Duke stepped back from recruiting the AAU circuit and they didn't get as many top 10 kids for a while.

Just my $.02, but I think the schools more likely to be found dirty are the ones that "suddenly" get a stud recruit out of nowhere, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think the jewelry thing was Lance Thomas, not Kyrie. It was after his senior year and he took a crap ton of bling on loan from some dealer in NJ and then didn't pay for it. I don't remember how the whole thing played out but I remember Duke didn't get hammered since it all happened after his playing days were over

Maggette got cash in HS from Myron Piggy (so did many other Chicago kids). NCAA looked at it and found no connection to Duke but I remember that's when Duke stepped back from recruiting the AAU circuit and they didn't get as many top 10 kids for a while.

Just my $.02, but I think the schools more likely to be found dirty are the ones that "suddenly" get a stud recruit out of nowhere, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread

The out of nowhere catch isn’t as head turning for me as the all of a sudden constant success on the recruiting trail after being fairly mediocre over the course of a career. There is a guy in our very conference who has yet to be brought up because he is likeable who fits that criteria. A guy who was once very good at identifying potential and developing talent and has recently achieved a pretty decent amount of recruiting success at a school not really known for it. I’m interested to see if his name is brought up at all.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
The out of nowhere catch isn’t as head turning for me as the all of a sudden constant success on the recruiting trail after being fairly mediocre over the course of a career. There is a guy in our very conference who has yet to be brought up because he is likeable who fits that criteria. A guy who was once very good at identifying potential and developing talent and has recently achieved a pretty decent amount of recruiting success at a school not really known for it. I’m interested to see if his name is brought up at all.
Buzz? Manning?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you can't see the difference between a kid getting $800 travel expenses paid by his AAU coach (which by the way is not impermissible in it of itself, but only because the coach was also serving as a FIBA agent) and a kid accepting a $100k bribe to commit to a school, I'm not sure what to tell you.

LOL. Are you seriously arguing the amount makes it OK now? After John Wall "impassioned" speach about waiting a year. You really think all he took was $800? You do realize the moral acrobatics you're trying to use to make this tolerable, right? C'mon man...I believe you're smarter than that.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Are you seriously arguing the amount makes it OK now? After John Wall "impassioned" speach about waiting a year. You really think all he took was $800? You do realize the moral acrobatics you're trying to use to make this tolerable, right? C'mon man...I believe you're smarter than that.

I'll loan you $800 and you can pay me back $100,000 since the amount makes no difference to you.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'll loan you $800 and you can pay me back $100,000 since the amount makes no difference to you.

GT can't hang our 2009 ACC football championship banners because of circumstances that originated from less than that. And the $800 wasn't the point. You can't take the "wait a year " high ground when you didn't do it yourself. Wall is being a hypocrite.

BTW, if the payback period is 2 billion years I'll take you up on it. ;)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Good article on Code and Gatto and what they could do to college basketball.

interesting that Code's departure from Nike was allegedly not that smooth.

https://sports.yahoo.com/two-men-bring-college-basketball-011524387.html

Hmmm....

His relationships and intimate familiarity with players and their ecosystems helped ingratiate him with high-profile Nike schools like Kentucky, Duke and Arizona.

One school everyone has been strongly suspicious of (Kentucky), one school people are starting to wonder about (Duke), and one school already named (Arizona).

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm....

His relationships and intimate familiarity with players and their ecosystems helped ingratiate him with high-profile Nike schools like Kentucky, Duke and Arizona.

One school everyone has been strongly suspicious of (Kentucky), one school people are starting to wonder about (Duke), and one school already named (Arizona).

The more people say this the more I beleive it.

I don’t think Cal is all that dirty anymore. Meaning directly involved with it.The guy can walk into a living room and simply ask
“you want to win games?”
“play with other 5* guys in a system that closely resembles AAU?”
“Get into the first round and make be a millionaire in 16 months?”

Because that’s what he does.

I’m going to go nerd here for a second, if anyone ever watched “The Wire”, there is a scene where Lester and McNulty break down Stringer Bell being “the bank” which basically boils down to after Bell insulated himself and made it into legitimate businesses, he would still be a shot caller, but rarely around any dope or violence or other nefarious activity.

That’s what I think has happened with Cal and K. If they are cheating, other people are doing it on their behalf and they probably have very little to do with its operation while they benefit from it and are certainly of aware of it.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I don’t think Cal is all that dirty anymore. Meaning directly involved with it.The guy can walk into a living room and simply ask
“you want to win games?”

I’m going to go nerd here for a second, if anyone ever watched “The Wire”, there is a scene where Lester and McNulty break down Stringer Bell being “the bank” which basically boils down to after Bell insulated himself and made it into legitimate businesses, he would still be a shot caller, but rarely around any dope or violence or other nefarious activity.

That’s what I think has happened with Cal and K. If they are cheating, other people are doing it on their behalf and they probably have very little to do with its operation while they benefit from it and are certainly of aware of it.
I posted this is another thread, but this is a good time to repost it.

A local woman here in Oriental was for three years the women's head coach at Georgetown. She & I occasionally talk about college hoops. Her only complaint about recruiting ws that Geno Auriemma at UConn did not actually have to recruit. He simply fielded calls from young women who wanted to play at UConn and decided which ones he would sign. While it is not quite the same at UK and Duke, there are certainly similarities. We all know of one just recently with Duke. In that situation the Duke offer was all that needed.

Jumpman

Ramblin' Wreck

“you want to win games?”

If both programs get off without being involved I’ll need you to be McNulty and I’ll be Bunk Moreland and we will recreate the infamous Eff scene.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

“you want to win games?”

f72f7790bd0fef63b65b13e49918358d.200x200x23.gif