Arrests coming due to college bball kickbacks

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the opposite. Kids or their dads grow up dreaming of playing hoops for Carolina. Carolina may cheat to keep them eligible, but I don't think they need to pay. Look at their recruiting during the period in question.

dook on the other hand? I think Capel's been dropping bags nationwide the past few years. I'd be worried there.

Extra points for naming Capel.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t buy that Coach K would let that slide. Seems like he is a command and control type leader so I can’t see it happening without his knowing. I don’t get the hate for him, obviously winning breeds contempt but I have always read about him being a stand up dude and playing things above board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I actually think the opposite. Kids or their dads grow up dreaming of playing hoops for Carolina. Carolina may cheat to keep them eligible, but I don't think they need to pay. Look at their recruiting during the period in question.

dook on the other hand? I think Capel's been dropping bags nationwide the past few years. I'd be worried there.

Capel has been dropping bags nation wide going all the way back to Tommy Mason-Griffin and Keith Gallon at Oklahoma.

Those guys got to Norman and didn’t respect anyone and ran that program in to the ground in 10 months.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t buy that Coach K would let that slide. Seems like he is a command and control type leader so I can’t see it happening without his knowing. I don’t get the hate for him, obviously winning breeds contempt but I have always read about him being a stand up dude and playing things above board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guy is a ****ing hypocrite.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Wanted to compile some links to podcasts.

CBS Eye on College Basketball - Gary Parrish & Matt Norlander

NBC College Basketball Talk - Rob Dauster with guest, Jeff Goodman

T'd Up from The Ringer - Tate Frazier & Mark Titus

Fundamentally Sound - Barstool Reags & Ben Brust with guest, Jordan Cornette

4 Quarters podcast - Adam Zagoria & Josh Newman with guests Fran Fraschilla & Darren Heitner
http://vsporto.com/episode/25412/th...n-cbb-fbi-probe-and-its-impact-on-recruiting/

Woj Pod - Adrian Wojnarowski with guest, Gary Parrish
https://open.spotify.com/episode/2wDMje1N31GrgA20vb3iLP

Court Side - Seth Greenberg & a screaming Dan Dakich
http://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-wphfv-2e0ca8b

Some have irreverent takes. Some make the point I agree with that changes need to be made that eliminate the bull**** concept that is NCAA amateurism. They've been generally good listens, although I'm first getting to the Zagoria podcast now, so can't say all just yet.

Regarding amateurism, comments from Parrish on his own podcast & the Woj Pod, as well as, shockingly, Seth Greenberg offer some of the best solutions where either regional youth academies or club systems, similar to how European soccer operates, are implemented, given you can identify potential pros in basketball at such an early age.

OK, now that I've listened to most of these, I can start reading all the articles I've been posting this week.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What if Brian Gregory is a top 15 coach?

tenor.gif

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There have been "whispers" around about the Duke program for a while now. Duke use to recruit a specific type of SA, whether it was because of choice or they were forced to, who knows. Then, seemingly overnight, they started loading up on 5 stars one and dones. Quite the change in philosophy and type of kids Duke use to recruit. I posted a link earlier in the thread about a poll coaches voted on about who they thought were the "honest" coaches in the sport was, then commented that the names not on there are more surprising then the names that are on there. Well, here we are.

Kentucky...I think we all started looking that way when the FBI investigation was announced.

Look no further than their last stud, Marvin Bagley!

Not saying that he took $$, but his final 3 was Arizona, USC (both implicated) and Duke!

Just sayin...

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, why do you think that?

Although I would be thrilled to death, Duke would surprise me a bit, but UNC has that they're top tier cheaters with their made up classes.

I will fully admit I have a different view of Roy than the general view of UNC. Not long after he got there he had the basketball team out of the AFAM area because it didn't look/feel right to him. They have also been shut out of the top 10 or so recruits for over 5 years so there isn't much evidence that they were benefiting from shoe company help.

Duke on the other hand for sure has seen the top 10 come running to them. Certainly possible they had shoe company and middle aged white guy help. I guess I choose to believe K is getting the benefit of USA basketball success and connections.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
Do you guys remember when Kyrie got thousands of dollars in jewerly? Prob not bc Duke is untouchable(as long as Coach K is there) I am 100% positive dook delievers a bag and more, and we *might* see the punishment when K is out

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
UK and Duke seem to me to be on more of the football model, with avid fan bagmen more than shoe companies and coaches. I am interested in seeing if this investigation works it's way into exposing much of the bagmen booster culture.

I need to look up the Yahoo reporter that wrote the big expose on it and see what he is saying.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A little tid bit from the FBI:

We're only sharing with the public a portion of the evidence we've uncovered

i wish more people understood this. I've seen fans for some schools saying if this is all they have it doesn't seem too bad.
FBI and DA have no desire to show all their cards. All they are going to show is enough to get the indictments they want to start with. They won't even show all the info they collected on those they indicted, just enough to get the indictment.

They likely have alot more than they have shown so far and then they hope to flip some guys to get even more.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing of interest coming up will be the Adidas and Nike financial reports on the 3rd quarter. They have to comment on pending and threatened litigation to investors. My expectation is this will qualify. Lawyers will rule on this but generally they have to reserve for litigation expense and exposure. Part of any settlement with the FBI on business practices would be a financial fine and settlement. Now given this is still early they may be able to simply say it is indeterminate at this time but the companies will have to signal what they think/know the extent of this scandal is going to be - and at this point they seem to be the core focus.